Biggest letdown at the end of a game (spoiler warning!)

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
Worst ending to a game in my opinion has got to go to alone in the dark inferno. Two choices, either the girl you love is possessed by the devil or you kill the girl you love and you get possessed by the devil. Just really pissed me off cuz either way you cant really win.

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
Worst ending to a game in my opinion has got to go to alone in the dark inferno. Two choices, either the girl you love is possessed by the devil or you kill the girl you love and you get possessed by the devil. Just really pissed me off cuz either way you cant really win.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Elsarild said:
Fallout 1 ending was that you walked off into the wasteland, cast out by the people you saved, fallout 2, ending with you, sacrificing yourself and your friends to almost lunacy to help the entire wasteland, but no matter how noble you did it, someone will suffer. Fallout tactics and BoS had the same line of tought, self sacrifice has been the stable of the series.
I thought you didn't sacrifice yourself at the end of Fallout 2. You just nuked the Oil rig and escaped on the Freighter.

Actually, I found that Fallout 3 missed the point of the Fallout series alltogether. Fallout has always been about the choices you make can indeed affect the world around you, Fallout 3 had you finishing your dads work off and saving some wasteland that, played under certain conditions, your character potentially doesnt give a shit about. The only hint I got of that was with the FEV in the water supply option, but that only had an effect post game.

the original fallouts were also great commentary on Humanity, and the greed and mistrust that plagues us. Fallout 3 missed that. Instead, it showed factions that have already been established as reclusive and mistrusting as "Heroic" just because they were out of canon fodder for that sort of stuff.

Im happy that no one has mentioned Fallout New Vegas. Sure there is no freeplay, but the feeling I got when seeing what my companions did after I parted with them and the evolution of the world around me is worth more than any freeplay could be worth.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
5t3v0 said:
Elsarild said:
Fallout 1 ending was that you walked off into the wasteland, cast out by the people you saved, fallout 2, ending with you, sacrificing yourself and your friends to almost lunacy to help the entire wasteland, but no matter how noble you did it, someone will suffer. Fallout tactics and BoS had the same line of tought, self sacrifice has been the stable of the series.
I thought you didn't sacrifice yourself at the end of Fallout 2. You just nuked the Oil rig and escaped on the Freighter.

Actually, I found that Fallout 3 missed the point of the Fallout series alltogether. Fallout has always been about the choices you make can indeed affect the world around you, Fallout 3 had you finishing your dads work off and saving some wasteland that, played under certain conditions, your character potentially doesnt give a shit about. The only hint I got of that was with the FEV in the water supply option, but that only had an effect post game.

the original fallouts were also great commentary on Humanity, and the greed and mistrust that plagues us. Fallout 3 missed that. Instead, it showed factions that have already been established as reclusive and mistrusting as "Heroic" just because they were out of canon fodder for that sort of stuff.

Im happy that no one has mentioned Fallout New Vegas. Sure there is no freeplay, but the feeling I got when seeing what my companions did after I parted with them and the evolution of the world around me is worth more than any freeplay could be worth.
It is true that you didn't sacrifice yourself as in dieing, but if you read The Fallout Bible Written by one of the games developers he talks about how the life of the chosen one unfolds after the game is done and over, and that is pretty grim.

And it is true that you don't get any background about what happens, this is didn't like either, but they fixed that with FNV so that dosen not bother me too much in the end, but I have to agree I would have liked to see the consequenses of my actions flushed out a bit more in the end.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Bobbity said:
KotOR 2. I mean, what. The. Fuck.

Oh, and the second and third Fable games, I guess.
Almost an entire page without mention of this, possibly the shittiest ending ever? Sure, the fight against Darth Sion was pretty nice, but there was no real ending to it, just a discussion with Darth Traya where you could ask about what should have been in the epilogue. Least fitting and satisfying end, not made one bit better by KotOR 3 being scrapped.

Haelium

Jan 18, 2011
DaJoW said:
Bobbity said:
KotOR 2. I mean, what. The. Fuck.

Oh, and the second and third Fable games, I guess.
Almost an entire page without mention of this, possibly the shittiest ending ever? Sure, the fight against Darth Sion was pretty nice, but there was no real ending to it, just a discussion with Darth Traya where you could ask about what should have been in the epilogue. Least fitting and satisfying end, not made one bit better by KotOR 3 being scrapped.

It's OK, we get a WoW clone instead. But yeah, KOTOR 2 was so bad I uninstalled it when I finished it immediately. There was a restoration mod with the real ending, but it didn't work.

OT: Dawn Of War, just as the plot starts to reveal itself, "Hey, this is based on a book, go read it". For the record, the book is terrible.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
black_knight1337 said:
imo the worst ending is probably oblivion. you do all the work to get there and then
martin just comes in and kills mehrunes dagon, taking all the glory for the work that you did
i was pretty pissed off by this.
I never understood everyone's hate for that. I mean, he clearly thanks you, people will recognise you in the street - maybe not for that, but certainly for the AWESOME Bruma gate mission, and to top it all off you get to watch a fight between a 30 foot demon and a flaming dragon.

It's one of the best endings I've ever seen :/
it would have been more awesome if it panned out like the ending of the knights of the nine quests.

TobyMcAwesomes

Jan 6, 2011
MineCraft- You storm Notches castle, you manage to defeat the guards with obsidian armor, then the creeper just explodes in your face...

Rinky78

May 3, 2010
Neverwinter Nights 2 (without any expansion pack). Ok, I have to say I didn't like the game much anyway, but the so-called ending was just horrible...

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood.

Me and my freind actually spent an hour after we finished it figuring out what the fuck was happening.

And the cliche cliffhanger with no sequel promise.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
SereneMidnight said:
Assassin's Creed 1. Mainly because you don't know what the hell is going on after you get out of the Animus. Either way, I still love the series and I can't wait for Revelations to come out.

Borderlands. You kill that large thing and then the Vault closes! I wanted to see what was at least inside!
YES! I mean, the second game and Brotherhood also left a cliffhanger, but at least they were at logical closure points! AC1 just leaves you with such a WTF moment.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I actually liked the Fallout 3 ending.
It would have been better had you been able to play on if you chose not to go into the room. And the end was a bit sudden, wasn't really much of a boss battle. Lyons gunned him down in about 3 seconds while I took cover behind a pillar, expecting him to be much tougher.

But the biggest disappointment of an ending was probably Mass Effect 2
It came too soon for one, there was only like 3/4 missions other than building your team. The last mission felt very rushed. you only just find out whats going on and who the badguy really is and then you just beat him and then its done. And also there was nothing to do when I completed it, except for the few side missions. I guess I expected a bit more from the guys behind Baldur's gate though. And the ending (after the boss fight) didn't really seem as big and epic as came before, It didn't make me wanna rush straight into Mass Effect 3.
Great game though, just the ending left me with a bad image and I haven't played it since. And I guess the ending could have been very different given the different choices I coulda made.

EDIT:
nexekho said:
Guitar Hero: Metallica. Hmm, we've had most of the complex stuff, what are they gonna end on? A Call of Ktulu battle with the orchestra or Chtulu itself? Nah, a random ice cave and The Thing That Should Not Be. :/
This too. I especially didn't like the fact that there was a big eye in the background and claws around the stage and nothing came of this awesome monster. But I didn't buy that game for the story or whatever, just the music. Although The Thing That Should Not Be is a great song, its not particularly ending the game material.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I'd agree with Fallout 3, but not because of the sacrifice and discontinue part. Yes the sacrifice made no sense when I could send a mutant to do the job for me and no one had to die. Yes it was irratating they never warned you it was ending so you'd most likely save in a spot you can't reload from. But neither of those bugged me because an open world game that ends isn't a problem for me.

If that ending can give some damn closure.

The problem with that ending was that it didn't make me feel like my individual choices had any impact whatsoever. All it did was reiterate what I'd already done. New Vegas showed how to do this right, they gave multiple endings to every faction, every town, every companion, and some choices had different effects on the endings of other choices. Fallout 3 hardly did any of this and that was what pissed me off.

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
black_knight1337 said:
imo the worst ending is probably oblivion. you do all the work to get there and then
martin just comes in and kills mehrunes dagon, taking all the glory for the work that you did
i was pretty pissed off by this.
The worst thing about Oblivion for me was the fact that
after going through the entire game doing all those quests, risking my life finding all those items and half the characters dying, Martin suddenly realises "Oh wait, we didn't actually need to do any of that, I can just turn into a fucking dragon."

Grey_Gore

Feb 10, 2009
I guess I'm not going to earn any originality points (since mine have mostly been mentioned previously), but:

1. Borderlands / Fallout 3 - You'll notice I group these together as they're both offenders of one of the cardinal sins of game design: release the "good" ending (or rather, the ending that makes sense) as DLC - Claptrap's New Robot Revolution and Broken Steel respectively.

2. KotOR 2 - Because "Rocks fall, you die" was what I actually remember, seven years later.

3. Neverwinter Nights - So I don't get an epilogue because "...that's a story for another time." (or something to that effect). Also see (1) - Shadows of Undrentide / Hordes of the Underdark.

4. Ultima IX - Yeah, probably just me here but since we're on the topic...

5. Dragon Age II - I love when people ask me which of the two endings I chose, I get to reply with "There were TWO?". Happy fun times with the name-dropping and sequel-baiting as well.

Was also a bit miffed by the Planescape: Torment ending(s), though from a narrative perspective they make sense; this one's just me, being a sucker for happy endings.

[sub]Honourable mentions go to: Bad Dudes and their Presidential Burger, Ghouls n' Ghosts and it's "Do it again!" approach and Indigo Prophecy, the wrist injuries were totally *not* worth the "good" ending.[/sub]

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Price of Persia (2009) - can't believe nobody said this yet

You go through the entire game to lock away Ahriman and the darkness. But because it kills the only female in the process, you then decide to undo everything you did in the game and release Ahriman and the darkness again.

...No..no I'm not kidding