Biggest Letdown in Anime

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Regnes said:
Fullmetal Alchemist:

I really expected a lot from this anime because the manga is so brilliant, but they really dropped the ball with this one. I understand they couldn't do a full adaption of the manga due to a lack of chapters, but the direction they took the series was absolutely inexcusable. After about 20 episodes it starts to separate from the manga, and it shows, the story suddenly just becomes slow and boring, the characterization is dulled, and they couldn't even do a decent villain to pull everything together.

Dante was the worst anime villain I had ever seen, she did nothing but talk. This is ok if you've got good writing and the villain is actually saying something meaningful, but all she did was smacktalk. In the end all it took to defeat her was for Al to decide not to let her kill him (He didn't even have any reason to let her do it in the first place.)

It's also really sad that so many people refuse to watch Brotherhood when it's imo one of the most perfect animes ever created. They seem to think the first one was better due to it's more serious themes and gritty mood (baffling since Brotherhood was way more mature in theme). Most seem to give up on the new show after a few episodes, because those 8-9/10 episodes weren't as good as the 6-7/10 episodes they remember through rose-tinted goggles.

Naruto Shippuden:

Not really much to say on this, they just messed it up big time, it's really rare for them to get any scene right in this production, while for the original Naruto it was generally spot on. Naruto was quite fast paced and exciting, while in Shippuden it just seems slow. Really weird when you consider the manga counterpart of Shippuden has a lot more action going on. That coupled with the fact that Shippuden burns through chapters faster than Naruto, I just blame the directorial staff, it's a bad adaption. I haven't watched every episode due to it's lack of quality, but I've still seen a lot, episode 133 remains the only perfect episode.
What exactly about episode 133 sets it apart for you?

Saltychipmunk

Jan 17, 2012
Country
USA
biggest disappointment? possibly the last 4 years of anime.

ive seen so many of my favorite mangas utterly destroyed by their anime adaptations.
Plus there really hasnt been a good anime that has targeted my age group since forever.

Its all dumbed down , stuffed with filler / panty shots/ cliche moments or made pg 13
Christ I cant say I can list any truly memorable anime from the last 4 years...

I dont understand why they do it either.

I mean why does bleach have to continue with filler arcs just so the manga can play catch up.

just end the bloody anime. wait a few years and make another anime. Its got to be better than running the series into the ground.

I mean there are plenty of other mangas to rui... i mean adapt....

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
hulksmashley said:
Bleach: For not having stopped already. You killed Aizen. It's over. STOP.
Haven't you heard? Apparently Aizen will be making an appearance in the final story arc.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Axolotl said:
Either, the ending of Berserk, becuase it doesn't have one, or the dub of Hellsing Ultimate which made me want to cut of my own ears, I mean it was just painful to listen to.
I have to agree with you about Berserk, but not Hellsing Ultimate. Okay, maybe the other characters I can understand, but you didn't make an exception for Alucard. The very idea of someone disliking Crispin Freeman's voice is absolutely incomprehensible to me.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
saltychipmunk said:
biggest disappointment? possibly the last 4 years of anime.

ive seen so many of my favorite mangas utterly destroyed by their anime adaptations.
Plus there really hasnt been a good anime that has targeted my age group since forever.

Its all dumbed down , stuffed with filler / panty shots/ cliche moments or made pg 13
Christ I cant say I can list any truly memorable anime from the last 4 years...
???

Have you watched Steins;Gate? This anime should satiate your taste for more mature anime.

Also: Have you just been looking at the kids section of a movie store? There are many interesting shows that came out between 2008 and now. A good example: Madoka (can't remember the full name). It may sound like a generic Magical girl anime on the surface, you'll be quite surprised by what it really is. Oh, another is Durarara. Made by the creator of Baccano, just as insane.

Seems kinda kinda rude to think the last 4 years were disappointing. Lets put this in perspective: 4 years = 2008 to 2012. Now that is a LONG time, and a lot of anime to be disappointed by.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
What [anime] let you down the most?
KashiMashi: Girl Meets Girl.

The manga was amazing. I own every volume and love it. So when the anime came out, I bought it without hesitation.

The anime... well, it started out good. And then, a few episodes in, it jumped the proverbial shark. It wasn't that it changed the manga (which, when it started, actually seemed like a good idea - the other side of the coin and all that) it was that it did so in an completely stupid fashion. The end result was utterly unsatisfying. It took a great story and crapped all over it, reducing interesting characters to bland stereotypes.

I have no idea what the anime creators were thinking. Maybe they were all high. And not in the good Dragon Half/Evangelion way.

I have never had an anime with a manga this good let me down like this before.

Mar 28, 2011
Armitage the third. I was told it was a "classic" on par with genre favourites like Akira and Perfect Blue, only to find it was confused, messy, and underwhelming.

Irony is, if i'd have watched it when it first appeared i probably would have thought it was the best thing ever.

Saltychipmunk

Jan 17, 2012
Country
USA
well i consider it disappointing when only 1 anime out of an entire seasons line up ends up being good.

that is not to say there werent any good anime. but they either were really short (13 episodes)
or didnt have a plot I could get into.

what was more aggravating were the legions of manga adaptations or animes with fantastic premises only to be completely obliterated by bad endings, filler or out of place fan service

Anyone watch the abomination that was the Freezing anime? god i think there was a panty shot per female character per frame

or the last two episodes of Claymore

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
It'd say one of the things that makes me go *sigh* the most in regards to anime is when they suddenly break character to "go to the beach" or start trooping out big-breasts girls who only exist to be objectified or bring in more male viewers.

A good example was in El Hazard: The Alternate World. The running theme was that while the one princess was always trying to get some lesbian action on, the others weren't interested and the anime seemed pretty good about not giving in. What happens in the final throw-away episode? Return to the hot-springs for pseudo-lesbian antics. It certainly disgusted me and I lost any respect I had for the creators of the show.

Another good example was in that recent "Magical Girl Sasami" or whatever it was called. I didn't mind them NOT continuing the trend of parodying magical girls, what I DID mind was them only being able to show Misou had turned to the evil side was to dress her up in barely fitting clothes and make her boobs get bigger. Come to think of it, I thought that was pretty stupid when Luna did the same thing in Lunar.

Other than that, the overuse of gore and sex in anime that don't actually have decent storylines always bothered me. I must've come across dozens of crappy gore-fests when I was a teenager cause that was almost all places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video had. That's why I generally stick to stuff like Ranma, Dragon Ball, Astro Boy and most of Hayao Miyazaki's work. Except Princess Mononoke...

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
saltychipmunk said:
well i consider it disappointing when only 1 anime out of an entire seasons line up ends up being good.

that is not to say there werent any good anime. but they either were really short (13 episodes)
or didnt have a plot I could get into.

what was more aggravating were the legions of manga adaptations or animes with fantastic premises only to be completely obliterated by bad endings, filler or out of place fan service

Anyone watch the abomination that was the Freezing anime? god i think there was a panty shot per female character per frame

or the last two episodes of Claymore

Wait, are you talking to me? You do know you can quote my comment right?

Anyways, of course there will be less good shows than there are bad. The same way good movies are few compared to the mounds of cinematic crap.

*sigh* But I digress, well that and I'm getting carpel tunnel trying to defend anime of recent years.

two anime I'm disappointed by are:

Mawaru Penguindrum: I can go on a fucking spiel on why this anime is shit, but my issue is why do so many people like this show? A good lesson on story writing is that too much symbolism makes said symbols meaningless and contrived, especially if the symbols overlap each other without explanation! An this anime is the embodiment of this problem! GAAH!

Persona 4: Its watchable, its interesting, but it was also missed potential. I was really hoping that it would further expand on the source material, while they did the story and scripting/dialogue came off as arbitrary. A shame really, because Steins;Gate had more or less the same origin: began as a game (visual novel) and adapted into animated form, but expanded and heavily remade the story structure to being both compelling but also personal enough to present appealing character development while maintaining a sense of natural plot progression.

Ow my hand. >.>

Legiondude

Jan 21, 2012
Witty Name Here said:
I'm still hoping they continue the Hellsing Ultimate series...
They are, they're just taking foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever

Bleach has been going on this path for some time now

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Storm Dragon said:
Axolotl said:
Either, the ending of Berserk, becuase it doesn't have one, or the dub of Hellsing Ultimate which made me want to cut of my own ears, I mean it was just painful to listen to.
I have to agree with you about Berserk, but not Hellsing Ultimate. Okay, maybe the other characters I can understand, but you didn't make an exception for Alucard. The very idea of someone disliking Crispin Freeman's voice is absolutely incomprehensible to me.
That's because I didn't hear him speak as I had to switch to the Japanese dub before he turned up.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Axolotl said:
Storm Dragon said:
Axolotl said:
That's because I didn't hear him speak as I had to switch to the Japanese dub before he turned up.
Then to make up for all of the Crispin Freeman you missed, watch this video.

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
All the anime I have watched has had terrible endings. Gundam 0080 is only one I can think off off the top of my head that had a good ending.