Biggest Letdown in Anime

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I think I'm one of the few people who actually liked R2, It was a crazy roller coaster of over the top theatrics and big gambit,which I found enjoyable as hell.

OT:Chao's Head,So much potential then it just drops all the horror aspects to delve into shitty sci-fi with a set of rules looser than a elephants grip on reality(don't think to hard about that one I sure didn't). And yes I know it's supposed to be a prime example of Great game, Shit adaption.

Shigofumi is a nice disappointment. I went in thinking I'd get series of nice reflective one shots an to some extent I did but it mostly ended up being this great character study about our lead and her father.

Persona 3 Trinity Soul: If I had to choose the biggest letdown this would be it. So Persona 3 was awesome,this follows that a show based of it will be awesome. Sadly no, the persona designs are bland the fights are boring and three protagonists are run of the mill. I was hoping to at least get to the Akihiko cameo, but I watched 5 episodes before calling uncle and going back to finish out Persona 3.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
UncleUlty said:
I think I'm one of the few people who actually liked R2, It was a crazy roller coaster of over the top theatrics and big gambit,which I found enjoyable as hell.
Same here... I actually thought the ending was pretty good. (IMO OC)

OT: The fact that a small number of series only got single quarterly seasons: Haibane Renmei, Fuujin Monogatari, Usagi Drop, Hourou Musuko, so hoping Kami-sama no Memochou gets a second season.

But above all... Gunslinger Girl - il Teatrino... after the first series (and before I started reading the manga), boy was there a step down in production values... *hrk*

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
It would have to be Bleach and Naruto.

Bleach started out amazing and then it just seemed to lose its way. I went into the arc where they rescue Rukia and by the end I question why no body died. These people were trying to cut each other down and there wasnt a single fatality. After that they went into all these other story lines that had nothing to do with finding Aizen and when they did go after him the story just dragged its feet.

Naruto has a similar problem with pacing. It takes forever to get anything done in that universe. Its "are they still on Nameak" all over again. And by Shippuden all the side characters get put into the background, which was in really stark contrast to the Sasuke retrival arc.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
R2 was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

But after some thought, the Soul Eater anime easily takes the cake. Unlike most of its fanbase, I didn't really like Soul Eater all that much. I just thought the art style was flippin' awesome, it had a catchy OP, and aside from having its few moments, not much praise worthy elements remain.

And then came the ending, which was such a piece of ridiculous major fuckwad, I couldn't help but laugh in a dry tone at the fact that people actually enjoyed it.

Killing the ultimate omnipotent super demon, after episodes of fruitless stuggle, with A FIST OF COURAGE!

There are much worse anime out there, easily. It's just that Soul Eater actually had potential, and ended like this. Raising hope to smack it down even harder.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
EDIT- Oh I just remember the ending to Soul Eater was a huge let down. Why didn't they just start airing it several more months after the manga so at least they could of maintain is as a on going series?
This, god damn this. I loved the rest of the series but that ending was guh.

Hey, we're up against the biggest monster in our world, one that even rivals death itself, how can we beat it? By being a brave!

NO! You don't beat a beast made out of fear and power by being a white knight and ONLY that. You beat it by turning the damn thing inside out! I'd rather have to sit through another Excalibur episode then an ending like that.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
smearyllama said:
OT: A lot of the first Fullmetal Alchemist series, after finishing it and watching some of Brotherhood. Looking back, the first show had a lot of boring filler that really didn't fit the flow of the show. It spent too many episodes on nonsense that served no purpose. It did handle
Maes Hughes'
death a little better, though, I thought. Might have just been seeing it for the first time, though. The first show also gave little in terms of personality to Mustang's officers.
Ninja'd =P I was gonna say that. More-so the very end though, I was enjoying it up until the last episode. Then I read the manga, and all was right with the world again X) When I heard Brotherhood was being made, it made my week =D

Also, the end of Soul Eater (anime) - the very last episode was just stupid. 2nd last episode? Freaking awesome. Last one? Bullcrap.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I'll have to go with the ending for Soul Eater. One of Maka's ending lines for the anime is "I'll defeat you with the power of friendship and our fists". Seriously they throw out the Power of Friendship ending so hard it's stupid.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
Neon Genesis for just really not being my thing : S, along with the original FMA. The fact FMA was made in the middle of the manga and fairly slapdash shows since I watched FMA Brotherhood first.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Thomas Guy said:
I'll have to go with the ending for Soul Eater. One of Maka's ending lines for the anime is "I'll defeat you with the power of friendship and our fists". Seriously they throw out the Power of Friendship ending so hard it's stupid.
I agree. I did not like how the anime adaptation was handled. The first season (i.e. the introduction of the SE universe and the Kishin being released) followed the manga perfectly (minus one annoying Excalibur filler). Then, they just made a complete mess of the second season and had to finish the season and bury the remains.

I don't completely blame them for what they did. Season 2 (i.e. the Arachnaphobia arc) had a lot more dialogue than action in the manga and I believe that the anime people wanted to include more action in to the anime, thus, the gravest changes that ultimately became the show's downfall.

Where they went wrong:
-BJ was never killed (why? he does NOTHING in the anime!)
-Crona runs away instead of rejoining Medusa
-Maka's demon wavelength is never properly explained
-Black Star never "grows up" (i.e. gets stronger) after Kid beats him up
-Arachne discovers and is later eaten by the Kishin
-Medusa does not lead the invasion of Baba Yaga Castle and is later killed off by Maka
-Kim is never revealed to being a witch
-Maka becomes a demon scythe and defeats the Kishin with a single punch

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Powerpuff girls Z that show was terrible. Oh man, it was like watching a show that was for pre-teens with adult humor tucked away.

However Anime picked the ball back up with Panty & Stocking w/ Garder

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Full Metal Alchemist. For years I heard people say it was the best anime ever. It was alright.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Soul Eater got slightly boring after the Keishin got released.

And I haven't finished it yet, so no spoilers.

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
First Fullmetal Alchemist ending: Just left me with a feeling of "What? That's it?"
Darker than Black 2nd season: first season was ok, but the second season is an abomination.
Bleach: Not ending after Ichico essentially defeated Aizen.

Edit: Neon Genesis Evangelion. What. The. F.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Soul Eater loses a lot after the first half. Which is a shame, as the first half of the show (aka everything until the Keishin is released) is really good.

Corpse Princess. It's Gainax, which means great animation and decent writing (FLCL, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, etc.). However, the main character was boring as hell and the show just felt like a drag. It had some really cool fight scenes and ideas, but it was just so dull overall.

Gankutsuo (The Count of Monte Cristo). The show itself is fine, no complaints there. However, the first few episodes have this absolutely crazy LCD trip animation and art style that more or less disappears after it. It's a shame, its a very pretty show, but it never quite gets back to the surrealness that it started out with.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Gundam seed Destiny and Gundam 00.

People fprget how good seed was, because destiny was so mediocre. So much that could have been done that wasen't.

Gundam 0 was really good, it was nice that while the suits were basically invincible for a while, as soon as their weakness was found they were vulnerable. Now in Gundam 00 they still have the weakness but now the suits are back to being invincible because they where kinda upgraded. Make the fight's real, not just these pilots swatting enemies out of the sky.

Captain_Fantastic

Jun 28, 2011
well if anything ever disappointed me in an anime series it would be in gurren lagann.

i cried manly tears!!! and for those of you who dont know
Kamina died,