Biggest plot holes in games

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Mass Effect 3.

The entire series is really good, but at the end it turns into a piece of shit. Makes no sense!

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
halo 4, how did chief and cortana know who the didact was? this with the bad plot and writting in the game is what made its story total shite, it makes no sense, chief was in crystaisis for years and we had never met a forerunner before and it doesnt help that no one in the story asks any question of anykind about the forerunners. just a terrible story.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Mass effect 3..from the start.. after all the advantaged we have amassed & learnt from ME1 about the reapers, we still need a contrived macguffin/deus ex machina (depending on how you look at it)
advantages include:
2000 year delay allowing everyone to advance
reverse engineered sovereign weapons
control of relays
control of citadel
no surprise attack (they somehow managed to make ME3 a kind of surprise attack anyway)
More diverse aliens thanks to prothean intervention (protheans downfall was lack of diversity)

Dishonoured..not a plot hole but limited mechanic

how is me killing people increasing rats significantly?i'm just one man and the city is full of crime and authorities killing casually. Does my killing make that much of a difference?
Increased guards and rats (if we must keep the rats) should be 2 different mechanics..especially since i can kill someone and make them explode into dust. or kill weepers that rats don't feed on and authorities wouldn't care about.
Weird mechanic

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Why is the Didact in Halo 4 doing what he's doing? The Flood has been destroyed. He has no reason to declare war on humanity.
It's because he is a little biased against humanity achieving anything after ancient humans killed his children in a war and then destroyed all data on the flood to spite the forerunners. In short, he is racist and holds a grudge.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
In Heavy Rain, they never explain Ethan's blackouts, which is a pretty big deal because they are the reason he is the main suspect. What is more, they contain information about victims Ethan wouldn't have even met...

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Starcraft 2. Jim Raynor receives a prophesy from a protoss friend of his that Kerrigan, Queen of Blades and ruler of the Zerg, is vital to defeating the Xel'naga who will return to destroy everything.

Now you might think that her current form, in command of a million billion zerg, had a good chance of defending against the Xel'naga. But no, Jim decides to invade her homeworld and use a magic artifact on her, transforming her into her original form, a twenty something girl in command of roughly nothing. She's prettier, but looks aren't everything when there's a galactic apocalypse coming.

wakeup

Aug 26, 2012
hermes200 said:
In Heavy Rain, they never explain Ethan's blackouts, which is a pretty big deal because they are the reason he is the main suspect. What is more, they contain information about victims Ethan wouldn't have even met...
they came out in a video and explained that one but it had a supernatural like explanation so the scenes that explained that were cut out of the game. shame really

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
wakeup said:
hermes200 said:
they came out in a video and explained that one but it had a supernatural like explanation so the scenes that explained that were cut out of the game. shame really
Ohh, yes. The old "character with psychic abilities has a link with the killer" trope. I found that one out later, but it doesn't fix the plot hole they left dangling in the game.
Then again, that trope is so cheap that is probably better they cut it, shame they didn't fix the script to remove the weird blackouts, though.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Why is the Didact in Halo 4 doing what he's doing? The Flood has been destroyed. He has no reason to declare war on humanity.
I wouldn't be too sure about the Flood being completely destroyed. Think about it, there was flood on two of the rings found so far as well as in several other Forerunner installations. Who's to say that there isn't more just waiting to be released? As for why the Didact is trying to kill humanity, I think it's him still being pissed about the war between the humans and Forerunners.

I know I've spotted a few plot holes in a few games, but I can't think of any of them at the moment.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Legion said:
Fallout 3 original ending is the worst one that I have ever encountered.

You are faced with a decision to go into a room full of lethal radiation in order to enter a code and prevent disaster. You are told it has to be you, and nobody else, and doing so will kill you.

You have the potential to have a super mutant and a ghoul with you at the end of the game. Both of them are not only immune to the negative effects of radiation, but are healed by it.

They will refuse to go into the room and enter the code because "It's your destiny" to do so.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Pretty much that. That ending seriously was just bad. "It's your destiny" Fawkes says, but you when I'm thinking with my head that the day can be saved and I'd be able to live sounds like a good prospect. But no the developers decided to make so that you couldn't until Broken Steel.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Dragon Age 2.

All the way through it you get drummed with "Mages are good .... Templars are bad".

Yet all the way through it the Templars are helpful and polite and the Mages are trying to eat my face.....

Kind of hard to follow a plot and take it seriously when it doesn't know what the fuck it's doing itself. In fact, the Templars don't turn "bad" until the very end and even then it's only 1 person .... who turns bad because of a corrupt sword .... made from metal Hawke found.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.
You haven't lived until you've played Dragon Age 2 as a mage. Doesn't know what to fucking do with itself.

bloodrayne626 said:
Who is Vega and how does he know Shepard?

--------

I can do this all day!
Well, that isn't a plot hole, so perhaps not. They've worked together in between the space of ME2 and 3. That's it.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
Borderlands 2. Why don't they just turn off the new you station? You die once, you're gone for good. Better yet, why wouldn't Jack put his DNA into it so he couldn't die (after all, he has a massive amount of money)?

This never really bothered me because I don't think you're supposed to take the story that seriously (even though I actually thought the story was very good) but it's still a pretty big plot hole. I guess you could just say it's simply a gameplay mechanic and isn't part of the actual story at all.
Borderlands 2's writer actually said that this plot hole was his fault,since he is the one who added snarky dialog to the new u stations,and had he not done so,it would have seemed like a meta element,like how in rpgs when someone dies you can't resurrect him with *insert item here*

As for the OP,i can't think of many

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
I might be able to answer how the mutants get out. Vault 87 probably has many holes in the wall and the Lamplight caves are so expansive that they probably have alternate routes out. Although that is still very unlikely. Still it annoys me that they are even there in the first place since Vault Tec shouldn't even have F.E.V in the first place since it was supposed to be at Mariposa only. I highly doubt that the military would allow Vault-Tec to get a hold of F.E.V. As for the Enclave that one is quite stupid indeed, plus I don't even think the Enclave should've been there because unless they were all at the Chicago base.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Fallout 3. Like, the whole thing.
The supermutants have no way out of Vault 87. The Enclave have no way in to capture you. There's a cure for radiation now. There's perfectly human-like androids, which are apparently very common around Boston.
Don't even get me started on the original ending. What a mess.

Also, I don't really understand the outrage about DA2. It's not as bad as people make it sound. At least, I never thought it was.
Specifically, I don't understand why people are insistent that the Templars are nice to you the entire game. They aren't. You meet a lot of crazy ones that often try and kill you. Same with mages. Not all of them are good, and not all are bad. And the story doesn't let you side with the crazy lady whose name I forget. Because she's crazy. You can totally side with the Templars until she betrays you, though. You even get different ending cinematics for it. I don't know how people can say it forces you to help/like/side/work with mages. It really doesn't. You just can't work with the crazy templars.

Anyways.

RedDeadFred said:
Borderlands 2. Why don't they just turn off the new you station? You die once, you're gone for good. Better yet, why wouldn't Jack put his DNA into it so he couldn't die (after all, he has a massive amount of money)?
Cut dialogue explains this, actually. Jack calls you up to directly mock you for using his own machines and says you're such a failure that he takes pity on you and keeps you alive for teh lulz. Later, when he's serious about killing you, Angel is keeping them online. Then, after you kill a certain person and really piss Jack off, he wants to kill you himself.
Dunno about why they don't bring him back to life, though. It may have been explained too, but I haven't seen anything.

Same thing with the oft-referenced Wilhelm fight. Jack wanted you to get the power core so he could completely take off Sanctuary's shield. I stopped watching ZP out of disgust when Yahtzee completely missed that and mocked the game for it. It's a really painfully obvious ploy, but a lot of people still think it's a plot hole. -sigh-

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Sonic 2006 is a giant plot hole in general but.

How does Mephiles not go back and time and make her cry in some other method.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Legion said:
Fallout 3 original ending is the worst one that I have ever encountered.

You are faced with a decision to go into a room full of lethal radiation in order to enter a code and prevent disaster. You are told it has to be you, and nobody else, and doing so will kill you.

You have the potential to have a super mutant and a ghoul with you at the end of the game. Both of them are not only immune to the negative effects of radiation, but are healed by it.

They will refuse to go into the room and enter the code because "It's your destiny" to do so.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Actually, you can use Sargeant RL-3 who does it regardless. Of course it does the "you didn't learn sacrifice" but that's more of logical thinking rather than Sacrifice.