Biggest plot holes in games

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
bloodrayne626 said:
Not so much a plot hole, but in FarCry3
during the hallucinogenic sequence where you have to kill Hoyt,
what the hell happened to all the guards?

It just irked me a little. Not enough to be an "oh my god this game sucks because it missed a few details" moment (not like I have those, anyway), but still, what the hell?
yeah you werent the only one.. i was also like.. okay im gonna have to have a shootout out of this...but no.. you apparently killed everything in a major frenzy!.. thats atleast how i thought :p

Dec 10, 2012
Devoneaux said:
Renegade Shepard said:
I guess I should talk about that ending...

So thermal clips....

You guys see Tali's face?

Nothing's wrong with my game series, shut up.
On the mars mission, why did Cerberus bring land based vehicles? And if they brought them, where was the ship they brought them on? Wouldn't it have shown up on the SR2's scanners like every other Cerberus vessel does?

Who is Vega and how does he know Shepard?

So reapers attack earth and Shepard and Anderson start climbing around on the rooftops. Why? Why didn't they just take the stairs, how is this in any way faster or safer than the sensible thing?

So Legion and all his buddies have been on Rhannoc for 290 years. Why during that amount of time didn't they just pack up their shit and leave when the Quarians came? what is so valuable about a planet to a bunch of machines that they would be willing to risk everything just to keep it?

I can do this all day!
Okay, possible spoilers for ME3 in here.
1) Yeah, that is a bit odd. Cerberus did have at least one Kodiak shuttle to pick up Dr. Eva with the Crucible info, but it makes little sense that they would use such a weak ship to escape from the reapers and any Alliance vessels around Mars. Still, not much of a plot hole, just an odd decision on Cerberus's part that could easily have a better explanation.

2) That is not a plot hole, Vega is simply stationed at the Alliance headquarters where Shepard is being kept. They've been palling around for six months, you just don't see it because that would be pointless. You just have to pay attention.

3) They leave the building through the window because the huge desk the Alliance Admirals or whoever they were at the beginning is blocking the exit. Every structure they come to after this is trashed, so rooftop climbing is probably the best option. Again, not a plot hole, just maybe an odd decision.

4) The geth may be machines, but they still need a constant flow of resources to survive. Rannoch is a valuable source of all kinds of materials, and they had already lost all the other territory they held. They decided to make a stand rather than become a wandering nomad race like they had forced the quarians to be. And they were doing pretty well until Shepard came in and screwed with their reaper code. Yet another example of "not a plot hole, but a rather easily explained detail that is hardly important anyway."
What else you got?

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Spec Ops.

That hole you fall through only to discover a minute later that you're on the top floor of a skyscraper.

...zing.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Assassins Creed 3. Why is Connor at anywhere doing anything remotely to do with the revolution? He has practically no stake in it, nor much of a reason to be involved aside from killing some dudes that burned down his village. Which was then rebuilt in just as poor a state.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Borderlands 2. Why don't they just turn off the new you station? You die once, you're gone for good. Better yet, why wouldn't Jack put his DNA into it so he couldn't die (after all, he has a massive amount of money)?

This never really bothered me because I don't think you're supposed to take the story that seriously (even though I actually thought the story was very good) but it's still a pretty big plot hole. I guess you could just say it's simply a gameplay mechanic and isn't part of the actual story at all.
Are the NewU stations Hyperion technology? If so, then that's quite a big misstep for Borderlands 2.

Then again maybe Jack just doesn't want to go through plastic surgery again (or whatever he actually done to his face).

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
alphamalet said:
Protocol95 said:
Rawne1980 said:
Dragon Age 2.

All the way through it you get drummed with "Mages are good .... Templars are bad".

Yet all the way through it the Templars are helpful and polite and the Mages are trying to eat my face.....

Kind of hard to follow a plot and take it seriously when it doesn't know what the fuck it's doing itself. In fact, the Templars don't turn "bad" until the very end and even then it's only 1 person .... who turns bad because of a corrupt sword .... made from metal Hawke found.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.
That is inaccurate. The game attempts to say "Some mages are good, some are bad and the same goes with templars". Not every mage in the game tries to kill you or someone else or just genreally be a jerk. For example Feynriel is an unfortunate apostate who will only do something bad if you indulged in some really horrible Video Game Cruelty Potential. For the templars there are a quite a few templars who are unabigiously evil. Take Ser Alrik, the templar who wanted to make all mages tranquil, which is considered by many of them a fate worse than death.
I agree to a certain extent, but I still believe that in light of DA:O, the templars vs mages plot felt very contrived. Think about it. In the tower mage origin story of DA:O, a mage uses blood magic and everyone freaks out! It was a big deal that didn't happen often! Even the fiance of the mage that uses blood magic abandons her trust of him and willingly submits to punishment for even associating with him. When you come back to the tower after it has fallen in DA:O, you run into mages that say they want nothing to do with blood magic or the rebellion that is taking place. DA:O did a good job of making you feel sympathetic to both the templars and mages while successfully making the delineation that negative actions were performed by a few bad apples on both sides.

Hop on over to Dragon Age II, and in the game's final act, every templar is order to kill every mage, which prompts every mage to turn into a blood mage. It felt so damn contrived and didn't match the tone of the original game at all. Not only that, blood magic was used at a far greater frequency in Dragon Age II. And for what reason? Didn't people fear it just as much? The writing in DA II was an absolute mess.
Alot of that was to show the reason for the conflict. Essentially templars fear blood magic, and so try harder to capture, imprison and possibly tranquilize every mage possible... as many codexs about blood magic and templars in both games refrence what happens when a group is on the run, hunted, assualted, and abused while simultaniously having a incredible but dangerous power at their hands? They go into no more to lose mode, use it, and go psyco. It is a cycle. templars harsher-mages scared-mages turn to blood magic-templars fear blood magic-templars harsher ect ect

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
deadman91 said:
Now this is a bit out but the fact that no one ever seemed to call attention to it pissed me off. In Modern Warfare 2, why is it that the Russian terrorists, perpetrating an act of terror in Russia (a region that really has supplied enough illegal weapons to maintain several wars since the fall of communism and immediately after a civil war which would have left even more arms floating around) buy their guns from a guy in Brazil? Seriously, why the fuck would you need to buy your guns from Brazil? I know it's just a deus ex machina so we'd have a level in the favellas, but it grated me nonetheless.

As I said, what really pissed me off was the fact no one else seemed to give it the same thought. Everyone else was too busy griping about nukes in space, or were unable to comprehend why that general bloke betrays you.
That bugged me as well, not to mention the bit about the oil rig workers being held hostage by the russians. Except the oil rig workers are russians so why would they bother holding them captive?

I think most of the problem lies with the fact that it's really unclear in MW2 and MW3 exactly what Makarov's reationship to the Russian Government is. Sometimes he hates them, sometimes he appears to be working directly with them. I've heard some people argue he's running the Russian Military by MW3. I really wanted to ask the IW guys exactly what's going on with that.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Dragon Age 2.

All the way through it you get drummed with "Mages are good .... Templars are bad".

Yet all the way through it the Templars are helpful and polite and the Mages are trying to eat my face.....

Kind of hard to follow a plot and take it seriously when it doesn't know what the fuck it's doing itself. In fact, the Templars don't turn "bad" until the very end and even then it's only 1 person .... who turns bad because of a corrupt sword .... made from metal Hawke found.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.
Every good Mage in Dragon Age 2: "We just want peace! We aren't all Maelificarum, We don't ALL practice Blood Magic!"
*and then*
"So...if it's Blood Magic they're expecting...It's Blood Magic they SHALL HAVE!!"

---

The romantic sub-plots in Force Unleashed and Gears of War (and potentially Halo). Starkiller saves his pilot because he's turned away from the Dark Side of the Force (or because of beastial Lust if you were into the dark side I guess) but as for Marcus and his support lady (who isn't even seen in GoW 1) and Chief and Cortana...I dunno, it felt like the romantic entanglement isn't there at all until you're told it is on the 11th hour. I'm sure there are a million other games that could go here when it comes to the romantic sub-plot that came from no-where.

Edit: SPEAKING OF ROMANTIC SUB-PLOTS FROM NO WHERE!!

Mass Effect:
Shepard: "I love you, Liara."

Mass Effect 2:
Shepard: "I'm sorry Liara but, I love Tali..."

Mass Effect 3:
Shepard: "I'm sorry Tali but I've been living a lie this whole time...I love Cortez"
Garrus: "DAMMIT SHEPARD, WHAT ABOUT ME!?" (should have been anyway)

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Noelveiga said:
Guys? Guys, look up what a plot hole is, then post.

It's not "characters made a decision that seems dumb or weird" and it's not "something that could have been explained but was left vague". Things that are not plot holes include:

In The Walking Dead
... if you choose not to loot the car, the owner still stalks and kidnaps Clem to punish Lee despite Kenny having a kid and never even questioning whether to steal the food.

That's not a plot hole, it's a convenient characterization inconsistency. If the crazy guy decides to go after Lee, that's what he does, regardless of whether it makes the most sense, it's not logically impossible for it to happen.

Or in Arkham City
Strange threatening to reveal Batman's identity if he doesn't play along but never doing so despite being aware of his escape. Again, that's just something inconsistent the character chooses to do, not a logical impossibility.

Sheesh.

Real plot holes in games off the top of my head? Hm. Let's see... I'm coming up empty. I guess games tend to have simple plots, so it's relatively easy to keep them straight. There must be some, though...
"A plot hole, or plothole, is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot. These include such things as unlikely behaviour or actions of characters, illogical or impossible events, events happening for no apparent reason, or statements/events that contradict earlier events in the storyline"

Basically, the stupid action of a character can be a plot hole. Your point about Walking Dead is valid and so is the bit about Strange, to a point, but most observations here are correct.

But, before you reply, here's the captcha for this post: Agree to disagree.

Fallout 3 is one of my all time favourite games but the ending was pretty horrible. I tend to avoid getting that far when I replay.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Resident Evil 6, Leon and ***** fall constantly fall farther down, from a cliff, to a lab to a mine to catacombs to another type of mine/catacomb, and then slide down a water slide, only to fall into a lake that isn't underground, it makes no fucking sense as they have been falling so much they should be pretty damn far underground at that time, also, how do Leon and Helena get onto a plane, or fake their deaths, I mean the organization they are working for has a person who is actively trying to arrest them, how does he not intercept any of their conversations that they are having with people working for the organization?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Bad Jim said:
Starcraft 2. Jim Raynor receives a prophesy from a protoss friend of his that Kerrigan, Queen of Blades and ruler of the Zerg, is vital to defeating the Xel'naga who will return to destroy everything.

Now you might think that her current form, in command of a million billion zerg, had a good chance of defending against the Xel'naga. But no, Jim decides to invade her homeworld and use a magic artifact on her, transforming her into her original form, a twenty something girl in command of roughly nothing. She's prettier, but looks aren't everything when there's a galactic apocalypse coming.
yeah did you play the first game? how bout brood wars? cause if you had you would know that Kerrigan as the queen of blades makes the.....i dont know what hes called i think hes an exiled xel'naga but not sure, look like a kind and gental person. so yeah that cure would be worse then the desease.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Any and every Resident Evil game. Remind me how was Umbrella trying to turn a profit by turning everybody into zombies, again? No, I know - the zombies are by-products. By-products of what? The Tyrant? So zombies are by-products of bigger zombies? And they're selling them rather than selling cheaper, easier, more practical means of destruction? Where do they get their funding from (or their credibility), considering they've never managed to make a single successful sale? How many times has Umbrella been shut down, anyway? How come the Raccoon thing takes place as early as RE1 (or Zero), Umbrella is shut down by RE4, but then we're by RE6 and the whole thing has managed to remain a secret? Also - trying to cover up a zombie apocalypse with another zombie apocalypse? You wanna take down the president but rather than simply shooting him you seek to destroy the world? The list goes on...

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Devoneaux said:
TheJJBL said:
Devoneaux said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Devoneaux said:
Renegade Shepard said:
I guess I should talk about that ending...

So thermal clips....

You guys see Tali's face?

Nothing's wrong with my game series, shut up.
On the mars mission, why did Cerberus bring land based vehicles? And if they brought them, where was the ship they brought them on? Wouldn't it have shown up on the SR2's scanners like every other Cerberus vessel does?

Who is Vega and how does he know Shepard?

So reapers attack earth and Shepard and Anderson start climbing around on the rooftops. Why? Why didn't they just take the stairs, how is this in any way faster or safer than the sensible thing?

So Legion and all his buddies have been on Rhannoc for 290 years. Why during that amount of time didn't they just pack up their shit and leave when the Quarians came? what is so valuable about a planet to a bunch of machines that they would be willing to risk everything just to keep it?

I can do this all day!
Okay, possible spoilers for ME3 in here.
1) Yeah, that is a bit odd. Cerberus did have at least one Kodiak shuttle to pick up Dr. Eva with the Crucible info, but it makes little sense that they would use such a weak ship to escape from the reapers and any Alliance vessels around Mars. Still, not much of a plot hole, just an odd decision on Cerberus's part that could easily have a better explanation.

2) That is not a plot hole, Vega is simply stationed at the Alliance headquarters where Shepard is being kept. They've been palling around for six months, you just don't see it because that would be pointless. You just have to pay attention.

3) They leave the building through the window because the huge desk the Alliance Admirals or whoever they were at the beginning is blocking the exit. Every structure they come to after this is trashed, so rooftop climbing is probably the best option. Again, not a plot hole, just maybe an odd decision.

4) The geth may be machines, but they still need a constant flow of resources to survive. Rannoch is a valuable source of all kinds of materials, and they had already lost all the other territory they held. They decided to make a stand rather than become a wandering nomad race like they had forced the quarians to be. And they were doing pretty well until Shepard came in and screwed with their reaper code. Yet another example of "not a plot hole, but a rather easily explained detail that is hardly important anyway."
What else you got?
I'll concede to the first two not being plot holes (But they are still sloppy writing) however:

3: the desk shatters as it hits the wall, it's hard to see but it is what happens.

4: Again, Geth are hyper logical machines, the geth don't have that concept of "This is my home I will die defending it!" they have a concept of "The logistical value of this planet is equal to or greater than the combined value of our entire species, apparantly." And even if this were the case, why is it that the good geth never reach out and try to make nice with everyone else? Why not go directly to the council races and say "Help stop this war for us and we'll help you with the reapers?" I'm not saying this would work, but the fact that they never ever try this is dumb.
For your point on the Geth, they were actually keeping Ranoch and maintaining it specifically for their creators, they kept the planet in case the Quarians ever wanted to try a peace treaty.
So why don't they just give it to them? The Quarians don't necessarily want to kill all of the Geth. They just want the damn planet back.
I dunno, man, that admiral was pretty insistent.