Biggest video game regret

FutureExile

Sep 3, 2014
For a brief period in my life - about five or six years - I lost interest in video games. But then one winter a video game store opened in my neighborhood (note: this was well before there was a Gamestop on every corner so it was still kind of a novelty). And one evening I decided to go inside and take a look around. On prominent display was a new console that looked nothing like the beige-colored boxes that I was used to. It was black and stylish with thick fins cut out of its sides.It was the Atari Jaguar. I purchased it and a bunch of games for about four hundred dollars.

It would be easy to make a joke about buying such an infamous flop being my greatest video game regret but, the thing is, I didn't regret it. Not at all. By pure accident, I purchased Tempest 2K, Doom, Alien Vs Predator, Flashback and a couple of other good games. Basically, I lucked into buying the best games on the system.

And those were some great games. I had never played Doom before and it was amazing and atmospheric and so much fun. Tempest 2K kind of blew my mind. The mix of retro graphics, addicting gameplay and pulsing music found in so many downloadable games today really had its start in Tempest 2K. These and the other games filled up thousands of hours of my life for the next two or three years. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

But here is where the regret comes in. Years later, I was seized by a weird kind of mania. I had to declutter my life. I began packing up books that I was never going to reread, old clothes I had outgrown, dishes, hangers, old gym shoes, just about everything that I wasn't using at the time and put them in the dumpster.

And at the bottom of a closet, dusty and forgotten, I found my old Atari Jaguar and about a dozen or so games. I remember thinking: should I keep this? I'm sure it still worked. I clearly remember picking it up, toying with it for a moment, and then slowly walking down the stairs to the dumpster. I left my boxed console, its dozen games and two controllers sitting on the side of the dumpster, facing out into the alley. I remember thinking that some lucky kid would probably find it and give it a good home.

The next day the dumpster was empty and the box was gone. What happened to the console? Was it thrown in the back of a garbage truck with the rest of the trash? Did the trash collector take it home for his own kids? Where did it end up? I didn't know and I never will.

I was immediately filled with regret. Why didn't I give it to a younger relative or better yet just let it sit in the back of the closet? Who throws away a perfectly good console and a bunch of working games? Who does that?

I still think about that console once in a while and how I got rid of it. It was almost as if I had abandoned a pet I had grown bored of. I feel bad about having done it. Almost guilty.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Selling my Intellivision and about 30-40 accompanying cartridges in a garage sale for $50. It would probably be worth 10-20 times that today...not that I'd part with it.

Who knew we'd all grow up to be nostalgic?

BONUS REGRET - Grinding hydras in the sewers for 14 hours a day while on vacation in City of Heroes. I was the first Controller to hit level 50 on the server, and I quit the game immediately after because I was so fucking sick of it.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Biggest regret related to games... hmmm.

I suppose giving away my Dreamcast (for nothing) ranks pretty highly on the regret-o-meter. Actually, any system I've ever let go (Sega Genesis, N64, Dc and PS2). But to be fair to myself, the last few years of my life would have forced me to give them away anyway, so it probably saved me from a miserable experience.

All my old games that I have lost due to negligence. I've reacquired some of them in recent years digitally, but there are some that haven't resurfaced yet (legitimately at least).

I bought Farcry 3 for PC recently. I love the game, but regret getting it. Fuck Uplay.

I purchased Dark Souls on PC too. Love that game (had it on PS3) but I forgot it was tied to Gfwl. What a piece of stank. Gfwl has been the bane of multiplayer games for years now. I regret getting rid of my PS3 version.

EDIT: Oh god, I forgot this one. I think it was a suppressed memory.

I had a 3000 euro Alienware laptop around 7 years ago. I spilt milk on it. It died. I cried a lot.

Funnily enough, my biggest regret was getting that overpriced piece of shit in the first place. It never lived up to the quality advertised (It was specifically advertised to be able to run Crysis on max settings with 60fps, but the best I managed was 30fps on medium).

seris

Oct 14, 2013
i regret cheating in any game ive cheated in, it makes the game boring

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well recently, Watch_Dogs.

More than a few years ago, I traded in my Wii in part exchange for a PS3 along with all my Wii games. Though I was left with a load of Gamecube games, games I truly loved which I swore I would never get rid of despite the fact my Gamecube had died a couple of years previously and had nothing to play them on. I think that in part played into my decision about a year later to sell them as they were just laying around. So I sold them.

Then Skyward Sword came out for the Wii and on impulse I brought another Wii so I could play it. Then I realised that I could have played all those games on my Wii. I felt sad. So yeah, that's my biggest regret.

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
Well buying Bioshock Infinite. Man that game was just very meh.

Getting rid of my SNES was one of the worst decision I made when I was younger. So many good games that I missed that would have made nostalgia if I were to play them today.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That would be buying Alone in the Dark Wii version especially when I bought thecollector edition! It was from this this mistake that I learned to buy a game AFTER reading the reviews!!!

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Spending 5 years playing MMOs I didn't even like in every single free minute of the day just because I felt like I *HAD* to grind, to the extent that I ended up up going from 110 pounds at 13 to 260 at 18 and nearly failed to graduate high school. Somehow I was lucky enough to be accepted into college and had a reality check and quit entirely before the end of freshman year. I'm still working on losing the weight but I'm still in MUCH better shape now then I was a few years ago.

It was only because I got an awesome score on my ACT that I was lucky enough to get into college. If that hadn't happened, I shudder to think about how things might have turned out.

Word of warning: if you really like MMOs, then by all means play them, but be careful with that shit. The instant it starts to feel like more of a chore than a game, just STOP. Nothing good will come out of it: going up a few levels or unlocking the new raid instance is NOT worth the expense your real-world life will pay.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Mine is an MMO regret too.

I played WoW for a couple of years, and stopped liking it long before I hit max level, 70 at the time... but I kept playing it because of a friend who, in the end, I'm not even on speaking terms with anymore.

Can't say past-me would have done much with the time I'd've saved though.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Command and Conquer 4. As much as i try to forget, it has just enough significance to me to remind me to do one thing.

Never buy from EA.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Selling off my PS1 and the accompanying library. I sold it to buy the PS2, which was definately a great investment since the first two games I bought for it were Silent Hill 2 and Devil May Cry, but I still lament the loss of my PS1. It wasn't untill halfway through the PS3's lifecycle that I was able to repurchase some of the PS1 Classics I loved so much. Still wish I could get Heart of Darkness.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Trading my Dreamcast and 40 games (several collectible) and every accessory you can probably think of.

For a PS2 and EA's current hockey game.

Ugh.

Edit: I take it back after seeing some of these MMO testimonials. My 5 years were very destructive and I'm still recovering from it 4 years after. Definitely my biggest regret.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Hands down buying Secret World while drunk. I paid 60 euros for 3 hours of downloading and 2 hours of playing before getting the urge of microwaving my own face in self-loathing.

I kinda miss my Amiga too, I sort of misplaced it when I moved as a kid.

Sep 24, 2008
Titanfall. I liked the idea, but the delivery wasn't what I wanted. I guess I expected more. I thought a company made from remnants of CoD Pedigree would have more... customization. Nope. Three mechs, Seventeen Guns... I never felt there was a way to make the character I wanted to play. Just the stock characters the designers envisioned.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
My biggest video game regret is probably the stack of games that I have not finished, some of which I have never even played, others which have only seen maybe an hour of gameplay before I moved on to something else. I used to pick up games at the drop of a hat just because they looked interesting or had good reviews, even if I was busy with other games. Sometimes I would purchase a game that I had rented and already beaten just because I had fun with it and might like to play it again, but then never play the purchased copy. I've essentially wasted a lot of money on games I have never or barely played. And even though I still have the games, I'm not sure I will ever get around to playing them, but I hang onto them just in case I do.

Ghraf

Sep 16, 2014
Easy. Getting invested in Dota 2 hats to the point that now I just buy all of them on principle even though I barely play anymore.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...it's either a toss up between selling my Super Nintendo and its games for a PlayStation, or selling (I think we sold it anyway) the PlayStation version of Diablo. That thing is worth a lot of money now it seems.

But, I have learned from both instances. I still own every system I've bought since the PS2 (gave the PS away as a gift because the PS2 plays the games just fine) and all the games that I enjoyed from every system. I hardly ever trade a game in or sell it.

As far as a purchase, hm...Medal of Honor: Warfighter I suppose. I enjoyed the first Medal of Honor in the reboot enough to look forward to the second one. I was very disappointed, and it became one of the few games I sold back. Either that, or Killzone 2, although Killzone 2 finally taught me to not get excited about their fantastic trailers because the games are never the massive battles that they show.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I regret wasting so much time on half-decent games in my youth just because I couldn't afford to buy new ones. I'm talking about games that I'd played so much that they didn't have anything left to offer me, but I kept playing just because I didn't have anything else to do. I should have read a book instead.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I decided that it was in my best interests to buy the £120 Legendary edition of Halo: Reach. The game was good, mind you, but in no way was the game worth £120. I could have saved so much money. *sigh*