Biggest WTF endings in games

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Not so much an ending, but...

FF IX pulled a deus machina on the end boss. The end boss was not mentioned anywhere in the game. He literally came out of nowhere. And then suddenly *surprise* end boss.

More recently:

First I murder every human and non-human alike to reach the resistance. Only to be betrayed by the resistance. Then I murder them and run away with Ellie. Then what was the point of the whole journey?

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
"Gothic" for it's "that's it?!" after the nice and interesting storyline quite disappointing.

"Half Life 2" for the simple "WTF?!"

"Dishonored", whose ending was spoilered to me and so disappointing in how it ends, that I can't play it anymore and I am just before the f'ing Masquerade thingy.

"Mass Effect 3" insofar that I cried, which no game ever managed (even without the DLC). I never understood the issue with the ending but then again perhaps I watch too much arthouse movies and am too used to drama of huge magnitude.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
I haven't played it, but apparently Phantasmagoria had a pretty fucked up ending.
It had a pretty standard horror-movie ending, really. Now, if you did anything in the last chapter WRONG, then you had some pretty WTFy things happen to you.
Really? Isn't that the one with the murder mystery type thing that ends
with you finding out who the killer is only to have him kill you and set you up as the killer?
No no, that's the horror-mystery standard ending.

Phantasmagoria has a possession-horror standard ending, where despite all your best efforts, the person you're trying to save dies horribly, and you, the last character standing, escape by the skin of your teeth.
Ok, so what game am I thinking of then?
I ain't sure. Maybe Ripper, but I didn't finish it.
Nope, I just dug up the video from which I heard of it. It was Darkseed II.
Oh lawd Dark Seed 2 so awful why you mention it why

It had cool world design... and that's all it had going for it. The ending wasn't even really WTF, because it was as sensical and shoddy as everything before it.
I don't know. I only ever heard of the game and it's ending in a video of worst game endings on youtube.
Basically, the game is a... murder mystery... in which a terrible protagonist runs around insulting absolutely everyone and solving illogical puzzles while getting a bunch of people in a parallel universe horribly killed.

The game is bad. The game is REALLY bad. The game has a couple of unsolvable states, characters too inept to stop themselves from dying, nonsensical plot development, the world's stupidest "final boss", and most egregiously of all,

there's a plot-critical massive clue

hidden in the MAIN CHARACTER'S BEDROOM CLOSET

that he can't access

because he thought it was locked

for years

even though it's not.

AUGH.

Also, at one point, your mother says "Here, this will explain everything." And then her head explodes.

Sounds like that kind of game storyline that I would actually enjoy... Or at least whatch some LP at youtube.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
aguspal said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
lacktheknack said:
canadamus_prime said:
I haven't played it, but apparently Phantasmagoria had a pretty fucked up ending.
It had a pretty standard horror-movie ending, really. Now, if you did anything in the last chapter WRONG, then you had some pretty WTFy things happen to you.
Really? Isn't that the one with the murder mystery type thing that ends
with you finding out who the killer is only to have him kill you and set you up as the killer?
No no, that's the horror-mystery standard ending.

Phantasmagoria has a possession-horror standard ending, where despite all your best efforts, the person you're trying to save dies horribly, and you, the last character standing, escape by the skin of your teeth.
Ok, so what game am I thinking of then?
I ain't sure. Maybe Ripper, but I didn't finish it.
Nope, I just dug up the video from which I heard of it. It was Darkseed II.
Oh lawd Dark Seed 2 so awful why you mention it why

It had cool world design... and that's all it had going for it. The ending wasn't even really WTF, because it was as sensical and shoddy as everything before it.
I don't know. I only ever heard of the game and it's ending in a video of worst game endings on youtube.
Basically, the game is a... murder mystery... in which a terrible protagonist runs around insulting absolutely everyone and solving illogical puzzles while getting a bunch of people in a parallel universe horribly killed.

The game is bad. The game is REALLY bad. The game has a couple of unsolvable states, characters too inept to stop themselves from dying, nonsensical plot development, the world's stupidest "final boss", and most egregiously of all,

there's a plot-critical massive clue

hidden in the MAIN CHARACTER'S BEDROOM CLOSET

that he can't access

because he thought it was locked

for years

even though it's not.

AUGH.

Also, at one point, your mother says "Here, this will explain everything." And then her head explodes.

Sounds like that kind of game storyline that I would actually enjoy... Or at least whatch some LP at youtube.
Careful with that. There's a couple legendarily bad LPs of it on YouTube... one of them even got Retspurae'd. Check LPArchive instead.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Well there have been lots of bad WTF endings but what about good ones like

This is one of my favourite endings ever actually, so awesome. I also like how the trophy pops when he says heres a medal for your victory it only adds to the WTF this is awesome factor oh and Marian out shoryukens Ryu and Ken at the end there. The two player bit after (not shown here as it looks like it was completed in single player) is also great but I expected that from the old games so it wasnt a WTF moment for me there.

Horon

Apr 19, 2010
I am going to go ahead and go with the ending scene from Mario Teaches Typing 2.
<youtube=K0QKiLE0xko>
There used be a version without the advertisements at the beginning and end, but I haven't been able to find it.