Biggest Zelda Game Ever Coming in 2014 to WiiU:

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Oh, for god sake, when will people stop getting butthurt over the visual styles of WW and SS? It's just pathetic.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Ah, why do I torture myself?

I won't be getting a next-gen console, seeing as I'll be heading to college in a year, and even if I did end up getting one, the Wii U is the least likely to be the one.

That being said, the Zelda franchise is one of the few series that has earned my respect release after release. It's a shame I'll probably never own this game.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Scrustle said:
I wasn't looking for a repeat of the TP style or even anything "dark" (I've made many a rebuttal to this stupid meme that Zelda needs to be "dark"), but just something new.
If "dark" means dark subject matter and spooky, haunting situations that contrast with Zelda's well-known cheery, adventurous tone, I disagree. Zelda doesn't need that stuff but it has worked very well so far. I can't imagine Ocarina without it. If "dark" means brooding emo-Link starts rocking the eyeliner look, then I agree times ten.

The more excited they get about the controls, the more worried I get. Hopefully history isn't repeating itself here.

Teacakes

Sep 5, 2012
Jove said:
Scrustle said:
Oh, for god sake, when will people stop getting butthurt over the visual styles of WW and SS? It's just pathetic.
Well it's not really butthurt, It really is just way too cartoony.
This complaint will never make sense to me. While Skyward Sword had problems--and there were several--the pretty and refreshing art style was really, really not one of them. Wind Waker was also a delight to look at.

I won't be getting a WiiU or any other Nintendo console for the foreseeable future. At the risk of sounding like a hipster douchebag or an old fogey who can't keep up with the times, I liked Nintendo consoles when they had controllers.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
"Nintendo are said to be very pleased with the art direction and visual style of Skyward Sword"

welp. I wasn't. The art direction was one of the biggest problems I had with the game.

With the exception of the dungeon design, everything felt half-assed.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Teacakes said:
This complaint will never make sense to me. While Skyward Sword had problems--and there were several--the pretty and refreshing art style was really, really not one of them. Wind Waker was also a delight to look at.
I loved wind waker's graphics.The bright and cartoony feel of it was very refreshing and worked well with the game. The same was true of Skyward sword, though the people in it did tend to look frumpier and more horrifying than the ghouls in Fallout lol.

I say this loudly and confidently as someone whose preferences generally lean to the "dark side" (Lovecraft, Rammstein, Majora's Mask, etc...)
I also really hated Skyward sword, so getting me to compliment it is saying something.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
zehydra said:
"Nintendo are said to be very pleased with the art direction and visual style of Skyward Sword"

welp. I wasn't. The art direction was one of the biggest problems I had with the game.

You make an exception for the dungeons? The only dungeon I felt really had any heart at all was the Pirate ship level (which was awesome). I wish they would stop trying to mix the TP and WW visual styles though. It ends up not working as well as either of them. Kinda like they just can't commit to what kind of tone they want the game to have.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Let me tell you, why thats bullshit.

The game will be in HD and use the same Art Style "Skyward Sword" used.
The point of finally using HD graphics is that you can actually make stuff look realistic now in place of the crappy , "wants to be Wind Waker but didnt fully commit" graphics of skyward sword.

Either way, this is only one of maybe 3 games that sound good enough to make me buy a Wii U. That number isnt high enough quite frankly.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Pfft, this is just advertising now. I don't even bother any more with Nintendo because of the poor designs and shit controls. It seems like the passion is still there, but whenever I see their latest work it they once again prove to me they have either lost the plot or just don't have any artistic talent. Another thing that has become soulless commercial junk.

I will still keep an eye out though.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Cautious optimism, I have it.

I am pumped to see if they follow through with these huge dungeons. I am not fond of the increasing linearity since Twilight Princess, so I hope Nintendo will actually think outside the box like they do every once in awhile and deliver something kickass.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Let me tell you exactly what will happen.

The game will be hyped, a lot of people will be all "HOLY SHIT NEW ZELDA" and a lot of people will be all "it looks like shit because it's doesn't not look like shit" (although with the way the internet is going the majority might lean toward the latter).

The game will come out, get really high scores, sell like a Zelda game, and everyone will call it a disappointment, and talk about how Skyward Sword was undeservedly disliked and is actually one of the best games in the series.

Then the next Zelda game will be announced, and guess what'll happen?

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
please god, no talking sword/fairy/shoulder monkey that doesn't shut up...That is all I ask. Otherwise, looks good to me. Not sure if I will get a wii u, but this does start to tip the scales...

Side note, anyone else notice hyrule generally has an over abundance of giant ass spiders?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Same artstlye as SS... Really?

I mean the game wasn't bad at all but the art style gave me a headache...

Yes MORE than the bloom overdose in TP. I prefer that art style, but if they could REFINE that one so you don't need to cover it in excessive light effects I'd be all over it.

The lips in SS. The lips.

>_<

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
This is no surprise to me, except for how big the test dungeon is, but even that is not a surprise considering how Skyward Sword finally refined the gameplay.

Now if only Nintendo would make Super Mario (Galaxy) on the WiiU expand like that and get some HD gloss, I would be pleasantly surprised.

IronSuplex

Apr 13, 2012
Tis rumors, so I'll be really skeptical about all this. Yup, seeing their track record I'll have to just wait and see how all this plays out. Who nows, maybe we'll see something from TGS, which is right around the corner.
As for the artstyle, well yeah I do like variety and I hope they'll go with something different (no problems with skyward swords artstyle though).
Well its just a matter of what Nintendo has planned so far. But yeah, I have faith regardless of news that there will be no multiplayer, because.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
T0ad 0f Truth said:
zehydra said:

You make an exception for the dungeons? The only dungeon I felt really had any heart at all was the Pirate ship level (which was awesome). I wish they would stop trying to mix the TP and WW visual styles though. It ends up not working as well as either of them. Kinda like they just can't commit to what kind of tone they want the game to have.
I actually didn't make it that far lol. But the dungeon design was superb as ever.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
If it's going to be a massive dungeon then it better be pretty or something. Oh, what am I saying I'm sure it'll look nice.

I don't mind the watercolor style but you have the ability to push the boundaries abit. At least try Nintendo.

Jun 5, 2010
I'm still one of the few optimists who are getting a WiiU on launch. Because they are actually making a large library of exclusive games that wont be on my P.C. that has better tech specs than what either of the new playstation or xbox will have.