Bill Gates Will Save 7.5 Million Kids This Decade

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Bill Gates Will Save 7.5 Million Kids This Decade

Bill Gates pledged $10 billion in vaccines over the next ten years, which he has projected to save over 7.5 million lives.

Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Bill and his wife Melinda said that their vaccine program will focus on diseases such as AIDS, tuberculosis, rota virus and pneumonia. Gates has been concentrating on philanthropic work with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation since he stepped down as Microsoft CEO in 2008. The Foundation has contributed $21 billion since it was founded in 1994, but the $10 billion is the largest donation to a single cause ever recorded. Living up to his nerd cred, Gates claimed that they ran a complex statistical analysis and found that these vaccines could save over 7 million lives from 2010 to 2019.

"We must make this the decade of vaccines," said Bill Gates.

"Vaccines are a miracle," his wife Melinda added. "With just a few doses, they can prevent deadly diseases for a lifetime. We've made vaccines our priority at the Gates Foundation because we've seen firsthand their incredible impact on children's lives."

Bill Gates went on:

By significantly scaling up the delivery of life-saving vaccines in developing countries to 90 percent coverage -- including new vaccines to prevent severe diarrhea and pneumonia -- the model suggests that we could prevent the deaths of some 7.6 million children under 5 from 2010-2019.

Gates also took a shot at other big shots and challenged bankers to use their excessive bonuses to travel to places like Africa to see what their could do there.

I don't know about you, but I'm kind of in awe at what this man is trying to accomplish. You hear about death tolls and the numbers of people affected by disasters all the time. How many individuals in the history of the world can claim that they personally have saved the lives of 7 million kids?

Bill Gates, you just received 7.6 million kharma points.

Source: CNN [http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/29/davos.bill.gates.donates/index.html]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndevil/3726201015/])

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
he really is a nice dude, ive heard that once he kicks it 90% of his earthly belongings goes to charity.

but i dont think he should be lashing out at CEOs, he is still in a entirely different class, that would be like if i guilt tripped homeless people to donate money.

maybe Jobs can save 750.000 kids with his new iPad money.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
This guy is like a role-model and a hero...
Never mind whatever bad things can be said about him, even if this were for public image, it still does some good.
Bill Gates, I salute thee!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hooray for Bills Gates. You definitely gain many respect points in my book for doing this.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Did you need to put such a big picture?
It was putting me off reading it all the way through, still haven't finished it.

Feb 13, 2008
Sorry...

Bill is worth $50 billion. His house is worth $125 million.

Giving away 1/5 of his income has produced wonderful results, but would any of us be held in the same manner for similar donations?

Again, I'm sorry but...it's a lot easier to be a philanthropist once you have the money you've made off of other people.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Sorry...

Giving away 1/5 of his income has produced wonderful results, but would any of us be held in the same manner for similar donations?

Again, I'm sorry but...it's a lot easier to be a philanthropist once you have the money you've made off of other people.
True, but when's the last time you remember someone else donating 1/5th of their income to charity? Not to mention he plans to give most of the rest of his money to charity after he dies.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Would you rather he not?

OT: Bill Gates is an inspiration for rich people everywhere! Yay!

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
this is no surprise. He has always been very generous with his money. always good to see the spotlight on people helping others :)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Do you not make money off of other people yourself? Or do you just do it the old-fashioned way and print your own?

Gotta hand it to Bill. Plenty of well-off people make nice-sounding noises about making good happen, but he's plunking down the cash to get it rolling.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Sorry...

Gotta disagree with you here Roots. Yes, Bill Gates is incredibly rich but it is still a magnifiscent act of charity. You can't just scorn generosity like that because he can spare it. It's just a bit... grinchy.

Plus, it'd be downright impractical to run news stories on everyone who donates money.

Feb 13, 2008
Kajin said:
Would you rather he not?

OT: Bill Gates is an inspiration for rich people everywhere! Yay!
Again, I've said that it's a great thing he's done. But shouldn't that money be better coming from those responsible, rather than a donation from a figure rather synonymous with "lenient" business practices?
sgtshock said:
True, but when's the last time you remember someone else donating 1/5th of their income to charity? Not to mention he plans to give most of the rest of his money to charity after he dies.
If I gave 2 thousand pounds to the RSPCA, would I even get a footnote in the papers?

Yes, it's a good thing for the sufferers. I just don't believe we should be holding him as a saint. An example, maybe. Especially to the banks.

Amarok said:
You can't just scorn generosity like that because he can spare it. It's just a bit... grinchy.
I never said it was a popular view. I expect polarisation here. I just hope the Foundation know how to deal with the lives they have just saved.