BILL S.978 TO SEND LET'S PLAYERS AND KARAOKE SINGERS TO PRISON

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
Hold on, doesn't this mean that stuff like Team Fortress 2's Saxxy Awards and the Replay function now becomes illegal?

That's absolutely retarded.

Did I miss the memo on when America got to decide policy on the World Wide Web?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Phlakes said:
That would be 90% of everything on media sites. Not gonna happen.
Don't underestimate the ignorance of congressmen on how the internet works. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if this breezes through.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Even if the bill gets passed, it won't affect things that weren't previously considered copyright infringement. It only changes the way the "crime" is prosecuted, not what constitutes as copyright infringement.
There's this doctrine called Fair use which allows using bits of movie/game footage, music and such for reviews, satirical commentary, news and so on. The bill won't affect that particular clause in any way.
And no, there's no way you'll get sent to prison for uploading a Let's Play. Prison time for copyright infringement always involves that you made a profit by infringing on the copyright, so unless you charge a significant amount of money for your LPs it won't happen.

So stop you populist fear-mongering and be happy that a random German idiot just educated you on your own legal system.

Gamble1221

Jul 1, 2011
It will take a realy long while before they even can make a decision. And even then, this will end up like the: No more violent games for kidz trial. Or if the congress are realy fucking high, somebody will try to get that law away...

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Well it sounds bad but any link to a less biased source? A lot of people freaking out over internet censorship lately when if the recent events are any indication the internet could use some regulation.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
this isnt my name said:
PureChaos said:
this isnt my name said:
Thats stupid, it wont heppen. Besides im in the UK.

Gammes are better off with youtube, I need to look at footage first, if I cant I may never have purchased some of them e.g fallout 3 and Bioshock.
same but a friend told me that it could eventually come over here too
*begins learning french* if it moves there I wll just go somewhere else. Unless the entire world agreed on this I cant see it working.
i see your point but i won't move to a foreign country just so i can those types of videos, particularly somewhere like France where it's a completely different language,

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Khadplank said:
Yeah, because you don't think the person holding the copyright to the game is going to be allowed to show scenes from it? Jesus, do you even understand what you're talking about?
What I meant was that people outside the original recording of the footage of E3 wouldn't be allowed to comment on and use it. I mostly watched E3 coverage on YouTube and I wouldn't be able to do that under this bill. Perhaps that's a bit of a nebulous statement but there is no need to take that tone.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
It's a slim pass bill will ever even get to a vote it has good chance of it just dieing. I heard movie industry supports bill but they'll forget about it when they put out some good movies later this year like captain america that will make them money. Or bill just gets so changed by time it gets that far it's so bloated and stupid it never passes.