BioShock 2 Creator Talks About BioShock 3

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
BioShock 2 Creator Talks About BioShock 3

Barely two days after BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970338&sr=1-1] was released, the creative director is already discussing where the series may go for the next iteration.

People are already talking about where a possible BioShock 3 would be set, including the Creative Director of BioShock 2, Jordan Thomas. While many have stated that the series could travel to an even more fantastic locale than the underwater city of Rapture, Thomas is not so sure that the complete story of Andrew Ryan's metropolis has been told.

He was asked point-blank if he thought that whole story had been told. Thomas's response: "No."

"I think Rapture's a very fertile place," he told MTV. "That said, if you follow the whole backstory, it is intricate as all get out. The amount of space within there to move around and to build idealogs gone wrong, like Ryan and Lamb, gets trickier each time you add one." He continued:

So much of the backstory comes from the past, so on some level you're retconning it, which you have to be very careful about. Finding areas that were untapped ... periods in Rapture's history that were not spoken that much about. That's what we did for this game. There were utopian years here, and we wanted to tell the story of the disenfranchised even within the capitalist good times.

I wouldn't say that we've told the story of Rapture. I will say that now we've had two very long, healthy stories in it, so that makes it more challenging for me.

So where exactly will BioShock 3 take place? "I would not presume to say, 'Here is what happens next.' The needs of a [BioShock] timeline extension are wrapped around whatever creative endeavor demands it."

In truth, we'll probably never know where third BioShock will take place, or even if it will happen, until it's officially announced.

But it sure is fun to speculate isn't it? My vote: BioShock 3 will take place in a BioDome in the Mojave Desert. Someone call Pauly Shore...

Source: MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/02/11/bioshock-2-creative-director-on-whether-weve-seen-the-last-of-rapture/]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
A little soon to be discussing this, and that's from someone who is already on their second play-through of Bioshock 2.

Although those who have beaten it are naturally curious as to when/where the third might take place, it's nice to have a bit of breathing room in between games before getting everyone hyped up for the next instalment (unless they have been secretly working on it and it's out this year (please?)).

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
As long as they don't sacrifice content and quality of gameplay all for the sake of an earlier release date to get their hands on that money quicker, I don't mind if they start planning Bioshock 5 before they're finished producing Bioshock 3.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I want it to happen prior to the creation of rapture... I want to play out the events leading up to the foundation of the city, and its eventual demise! that would be very interesting... You could travel through less of the city compared to the other games, but you could travel during multiple times across each one, seeing it change from construction work, to utopian society, to the beginnings of chaos!

Not entirely sure how that would work, on the terms of gameplay though...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I hope they do a 3rd one and I hope they keep it in Rapture. I agree, the whole story has not been told yet and there is plenty which can still be said and done in that great underwater metropolis!

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing the Fall of Rapture but I think at this point it might be beneficial if they tried to move out of Rapture, at least for awhile because if they do a third it might become a bit repetitive if they don't pull out a lot of innovations like in 2. Don't get me wrong Bioshock 2 is awesome and I can't fault it but they weren't wholy innovative. Not too sure on where they could go to though.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
He has some very interesting things to say, but quite frankly, there's only one thing I care about when it comes to Bioshock 3:

[small]Bioshock : Big Daddies
Bioshock 2 : Big Sisters
Bioshock 3 : ?[/small]

All I want to know is what diving-suit monstrosity we'll be fighting in the next game? Big Brothers? Big Mothers??? TELL US DAMMIT!
[small]...Big Uncles?.......Big Aunts?.......Big Step-sisters?...[/small]

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Simalacrum said:
I want it to happen prior to the creation of rapture... I want to play out the events leading up to the foundation of the city, and its eventual demise! that would be very interesting... You could travel through less of the city compared to the other games, but you could travel during multiple times across each one, seeing it change from construction work, to utopian society, to the beginnings of chaos!

that is a good idea but instead i would want to play through the fall and have the founding and such be seen through flash backs (possibly making them playable) and some (very few) cut scenes and have it lead up almost right to where the first one starts

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Simalacrum said:

Sim City Rapture Edition?

I'm not too sure how that would work. But I'll play it!

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
A third Bioshock possible already? Wow. Though with how Bioshock's been doing, I'm not surprised. Basically all we need is an official announcement.

And for what they do? Mmm... We've had Andrew Ryan's Utopian idealogy, and then Sofia Lamb's Utilitarianism (For the family) idealogy... There's actually quite a lot of idealogies to pick at in how they can go wrong.

Heck, they left Tenebaum as a possible link to the third. She was never heard from again after your one run in. So she may play a major part again.

So many things to wave a stick at in what could be for a third Bioshock.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
He has some very interesting things to say, but quite frankly, there's only one thing I care about when it comes to Bioshock 3:

[small]Bioshock : Big Daddies
Bioshock 2 : Big Sisters
Bioshock 3 : ?[/small]

All I want to know is what diving-suit monstrosity we'll be fighting in the next game? Big Brothers? Big Mothers??? TELL US DAMMIT!
[small]...Big Uncles?.......Big Aunts?.......Big Step-sisters?...[/small]
Big Mother-In-Law?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
They cannot really invent a plot that follows Rapture being taken over AGAIN.

Bioshock 1 and 2 are fine I cannot see many other locations to visit after going around rich places and then seeing the harsh reality that is Ghetto life in Rapture(Which I think is based on old New Orleans)

They need to make a Themepark esque Bioshock game!

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
Do we really need a third? Don't get me wrong I love Bioshock and I'm loving Bioshock 2 but really the story was closed at the end of Bioshock 1 that I didn't really need a sequal. So why would we need a third? This is just another case of developers too afraid to try something new.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I was watching feedback on G4TV. and they said it would have been cool if they made Rapture during its hay day. I think they should do it with Bioshock 3.

p.s. Finally of suspension

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
This is what I think would be a good idea. BioShock should branch off into two "franchises" - One stays as a storytelling FPS where key moments of Rapture's history are told (Civil War, the New Years Day where everything kicked off, etc) but then I think it's widely open to a point & click series (BioShock: Tales of Rapture, maybe?) which is episodic in nature, a bit like Sam & Max.
Characters that they can use include that investigator who went insane after leaving Rapture (from Something in the Sea or whatever that flash is called), some residents of Rapture and so forth. Each episode can tell a different part of Rapture's history (The first week of Rapture could be one episode, the appearance of Big Daddies another, the first splicers etc) and they don't need to be combat based at all. I think some would require a bit of combat, especially the ones involving Splicers, but otherwise they'd be non-combat. Just an idea, but I think it's a universe where it could work.
From what I can see, there aren't many places where the BioShock story can go as an FPS. We've played Ryan's son, we've been the first Big Daddy, so what next? The only real options I can see are a resident of Rapture, a Big Sister or a Splicer (maybe combine the Resident & Splicers into one game) and due to Rapture's short history there's only a few things that would be viable - The "Civil War" being the main one.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
CrazyHaircut94 said:
HardRockSamurai said:
All I want to know is what diving-suit monstrosity we'll be fighting in the next game? Big Brothers? Big Mothers???
[small]Big Uncles? Big Aunts? Big Step-sisters?...[/small]
Big Mothers-in-law?
Big Grandmothers?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Bioshock 3? Please, the first two were not very good imo, certainly not worth purchasing, you name a shooter and it's probably better than Bioshock.