BioShock 2 Dev Calls Console Wars "Silly"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioShock 2 Dev Calls Console Wars "Silly"

Are you a diehard PS3 fanboy and registered Sony Defense Force member? Are you a member of Microsoft's legion of Xbots? If you are, then BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970338&sr=1-1] developer 2K Marin thinks you're silly.

When the original BioShock [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Playstation-3/dp/B001B1W3GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1279749114&sr=1-1] came out, it was somewhat of a hot spot for fanboys: 360 owners rubbed the acclaimed game in the proverbial faces of everybody who owned the hated PS3, while said PS3 owners took every opportunity they could do pick on the exclusive ... until it actually came out for the console and said haters were forced to agree that it was actually kind of awesome.

This not-so-proud tradition was hardly limited to PS3 owners, though - how many 360 fanboys trashed Metal Gear Solid until Rising [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Rising-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J8FI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1279749160&sr=1-1] was announced? PS3 owners might blast Gears of War while Xbox 360 owners hate on Uncharted, but if the games were released on the competing platforms, you can bet that there'd be quite a few minds changed very, very quickly.

Speaking with Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/2k-marin-the-console-wars-are-a-bit-silly--162826.phtml], BioShock 2 creative director Jordan Thomas discussed the idea of fanboyism and how it applied to the console wars. "There's a cognitive effect known as 'confirmation bias' which leads people to latch onto conclusions that support their preferences and ignore data which doesn't," said Thomas, "This leads to wild, unreasoning loyalty to a chosen platform, sports team, or brand of soda."

"From a development perspective, the console wars are a bit silly; our target is consistency, and it's always kind of sad to see people throwing their energy into 'platform partisanship,' because it seems to flood the critical channels and drown out other creative discourse."

So do you hear that, fanboys? Every time you bash the other system for having exclusives that you secretly want, you make 2K Marin sad. And when you make 2K Marin sad, they send Big Daddies after you to punch holes in your chest with giant drills.

Fanboy at your own risk.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Why do people think they can change others minds about something they try so desperate to defend? No matter how many times you bash on a console/game/anything with a fan base, a true fan will just ignore the flaws. So if there never going to go " I guess your right ________ really does suck monkey balls!", then whats the point?

I mean, has anyone ever one an internet fight?

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Fanboys will always be fanboys and they will always be moronic "plattform partisans" as he so coulurful describes it.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Bah. Fanboys just need (better) jobs, so that they can afford more than a single console. End of console wars once everyone can afford every console.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Good for him, as I agree. I for example, would love to try Uncharted, but have no PS3 to do so.

Silly silly fanboys, we all hate you.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
... 360 for the wi-BOOOM!!!- ho what's that... -drill sound- no... no... NOOOOOOO!!! -Splat-.

Hahaha I'm just kidding, I agree the console wars are silly and to be honest it drives me crazy... both side bickering over which console is the best. I own a 360 and I would love to own a PS3 for the exclusives but well I can't afford the PS3. I've heard scorn for the Wii but at the end of the day it's just a console, yeah sure it's had some bad, bland games brought out for it but you can't blame the console for that... I'd love to own a Wii if I had the money.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Lesson is, kids: The only reason why people hate the other console is because it has awesome games that theirs doesn't have.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Well, if I didn't love these Developers before, that clinches it. I'm glad to see more developers publicly say what all we - rational - people are saying: Fanboys need to sit down and shut up.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
KillerMidget said:
Xbots? Sony Defence Force?

Please God don't tell me they actually exist.
I hope so. Think of the hilarity! Membership cards, merchandise, damn.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Something tells me fanboyism isn't going to stop because 2K wants it to. Something else tells me evidence of that exists right here on the Escapist.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I disagree that they are silly. Fanboys are silly yes. The whole my console is better than your console is silly. And once they figure out how to make the same game (the exact same experience) for both consoles (since the Wii is a different beast entirely) the console war will be rendered silly. Until they stop with the "exclusive to this console" DLC, make games that run the same on both consoles and give us gamers the same deal no matter which console we decide to buy it on (like Dante's Inferno where buying it for the PS3 is a much better deal than the 360). Once multiplat developers stop treating one side like 3rd class citizens and the other like kings or queens the console war is anything but silly.

powercall

Jun 21, 2008
Developers, when you make a game for both platforms make the DLC availible for them as well...you're missing out on money by alienating the other. I'm looking at you GTA4!
Fanboys get over yourselves and stop wasting our time.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I have to agree. It is silly, down right stupid. Nice to see someone with a voice agreeing too!