Bioshock and the Origins of Adam and Eve

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
Sir Kemper said:
A little off topic but anybody else find it ironic that one of the main things Andrew Ryan wanted to avoid haveing in Rapture is Riligion, yet almost everything has a riligious name/Overtone?

EDIT: Damm Ninjas!
this is true. another ironic thing, is that he hated the idea of a liberal government bent on control and power - yet he wanted as much control as possible over the city for himself. tsk tsk

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
jamesworkshop said:
Tom4Tom said:
jamesworkshop said:
Not just that don't forget places like

Neptunes bounty
Olympus Heights

Or the Gathers Garden claiming to make you stronger than Hercules its not just christian symbols that get covered

i didnt notice this either. good catch. i suppose its all of these elements throughout the story that really set the mood for this game.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/924919/50049

Have a read of this it contains a lot that a lot of people missed or didn't understand since a lot of the game requires a knowledge of Objectivism
i checked it out. after like 10 paragraphs of information i just gave up... waaaayyyyy too much. xD

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Sir Kemper said:
A little off topic but anybody else find it ironic that one of the main things Andrew Ryan wanted to avoid haveing in Rapture is Riligion, yet almost everything has a riligious name/Overtone?

EDIT: Damm Ninjas!
Yeah its strange but I think the idea was suppossed to be used ironically by the citizens of rapture as plasmids give them powers only found in mythology, the ever present icongraphy reflects their belifes that they now have God like powers and the freedom to decide their own morality.

"My daddy's SMARTER than Einstein, STRONGER than Hercules and can light a fire with a SNAP of his fingers. Are you as good as my daddy, Mister?"

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
Tom4Tom said:
PDizzle418 said:
I was thinking about this some more and Ryan wasn't the one who found or manufactured Adam or Eve

in the first game he was actually very upset because he had next to no control over the substance.

perhaps Adam and Eve were used as a jibe toward Ryan because wasn't Fontaine the one who controlled the supply?

Ryan destroyed the production didn't he thus beginning the war over what little was left and bringing about the creation of little sisters and what not

sorry if this is spoilers to anyone but I'd say it's fairly clear and if you haven't played bioshock you should

but yeah perhaps whomever named it adam and eve named it as such to upset Ryan

also in bioshcok 2 there are adam slugs you can grab. I'm pretty sure they were all destroyed that's why Rapture went to hell in the first place

correct me if I'm wrong
i never really understood the adam slugs... the little sisters gather a red substance from splicers which is supposed to be adam...so what are the slugs for? hmmm
the slugs were the original source of Adam someone discovered that these slugs secreted a substance that could be used to alter the genetics of a human.

Supposedly Ryan got jealous of the fact that other people were making more than him and had them all destroyed or staged attacks to kill them all, so now all the remaining adam is in people that's why the little sisters were created to harvest the remaining adam from dead folks so it can be resold to others

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
Tom4Tom said:
PDizzle418 said:
yeah Adam and Eve are simply references to something real, they are something that lends the story a bit of reliable credibility and tie it more directly to our world as Rapture is (supposedly) a thing of our world.

same with other references to greek God Andrew Ryan vehemently opposed religion yet it perpetrated his society thoroughly. Perhaps another reason why Adam and Eve are named as such they are the harbinger's of Ryans destruction and of his city which was supposed to be free of both government an religion both of which have found their way into Rapture.

Perhaps it is supposed to be used Ironically, but I think that like most people the citizens of rapture tie things to religous and mythological ideologies, like what James said with Hercules it is a common knowledge reference point most people know of the greek gods and the basics of christianity.
andrew ryan is a greek god? ive never heard of this...
apologies this is just bad grammar on my part "same with other references to greek God. Andrew Ryan vehemently"

fixed just above

The Unskilled78

Dec 4, 2008
In some sects of American Christianity, the Rapture is a sign of the forthcoming apocalypse when all "true" Christians are taken up to heaven Still Alive. Contrast this with Andrew Ryans ideal of the worlds best and brightest all removing themselves from a world that does not appreciate them. "I see what You did thar", Andrew Ryan

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
The Unskilled78 said:
In some sects of American Christianity, the Rapture is a sign of the forthcoming apocalypse when all "true" Christians are taken up to heaven Still Alive. Constrast this with Andrew Ryans ideal of the worlds best and brightest all removing themselves from a world that does not appreciate them. "I see what You did thar", Andrew Ryan
this was probably one of the few things i DID get from the game. rapture = end of civilization

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
PDizzle418 said:
Tom4Tom said:
PDizzle418 said:
I was thinking about this some more and Ryan wasn't the one who found or manufactured Adam or Eve

in the first game he was actually very upset because he had next to no control over the substance.

perhaps Adam and Eve were used as a jibe toward Ryan because wasn't Fontaine the one who controlled the supply?

Ryan destroyed the production didn't he thus beginning the war over what little was left and bringing about the creation of little sisters and what not

sorry if this is spoilers to anyone but I'd say it's fairly clear and if you haven't played bioshock you should

but yeah perhaps whomever named it adam and eve named it as such to upset Ryan

also in bioshcok 2 there are adam slugs you can grab. I'm pretty sure they were all destroyed that's why Rapture went to hell in the first place

correct me if I'm wrong
i never really understood the adam slugs... the little sisters gather a red substance from splicers which is supposed to be adam...so what are the slugs for? hmmm
the slugs were the original source of Adam someone discovered that these slugs secreted a substance that could be used to alter the genetics of a human.

Supposedly Ryan got jealous of the fact that other people were making more than him and had them all destroyed or staged attacks to kill them all, so now all the remaining adam is in people that's why the little sisters were created to harvest the remaining adam from dead folks so it can be resold to others

i didnt know this. was this found out in the first game? if the game never really went too deep into the origins of these slugs i think it would be a good theme for the third game to take place around... ya know?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
People were tempted to use ADAM and EVE, and after they did there were extreme consequences
Kind of like the biblical story where ADAM and EVE bit the apple of knowledge and were royally screwed

Also, on a more random note, Eve's Garden in Fort Frolic had a motto "come bite the apple"

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
I'm not gonna keep quoting because it is getting too big but.

all of this is from reading outside of the game. back before Bioshock was originally released I used to read a lot of Official Xbox Magazine. That's the story I got from them

wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioshock#Setting says much of the same thing but doesn't including the destruction of the Adam slugs, possibly removed before the game was released or just over looked

I can't be 100% sure on the whole killing of the slugs but it would make sense to make the little sisters to salvage adam because there was no fresh supply

but yeah that's kind of the back story Tenenbaum finds Adam and partners with Fontaine. Ryan doesn't like it so he strikes and then Fontaine retaliates. Conflict escalates and bye bye rapture