BioShock Infinite Gameplay Squeezed Into Teaser Early

oranger

May 27, 2008
Uber Waddles said:
tehweave said:
Going from a dark, underground city to a bright, flying city? Weird shift, but feels appropriate for the Bioshock universe.

I, for one, did love the creepy, atmospheric tone of Bio 1 and 2... While this does get rid of the 'creepy' part... It looks fun.

I am kind of sad that the 'creepy' part is gone. You can't have 'creepy' in daylight. You just can't.

But, they're experimenting with not putting it in rapture in the first place... So I like that.
You can, its just hard.

The dark represents an unknown, which adds to the creepy factor. If we dont know, were scared of it. Period.

However, as long as it makes the other elements superb, and can still effectively be creepy. I do agree, it wont be easy though.
Maybe they'll do like demon's souls did: make the shadows nearly impenetrable, even in daylight until you step into them.
deliberately adding too much contrast to create artificial borders/territories like they did with water in bioshock.
Seriously, water being present changed so much in that game. Stuff some people may not have been aware of, like how much noise you make.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
It looks cool and all, but my first impression of the new rail system is that it looks a bit... stiff.

It's an interesting idea, I'm just not sure they've gotten the flow down.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Uber Waddles said:
tehweave said:
Going from a dark, underground city to a bright, flying city? Weird shift, but feels appropriate for the Bioshock universe.

I, for one, did love the creepy, atmospheric tone of Bio 1 and 2... While this does get rid of the 'creepy' part... It looks fun.

I am kind of sad that the 'creepy' part is gone. You can't have 'creepy' in daylight. You just can't.

But, they're experimenting with not putting it in rapture in the first place... So I like that.
You can, its just hard.

The dark represents an unknown, which adds to the creepy factor. If we dont know, were scared of it. Period.

However, as long as it makes the other elements superb, and can still effectively be creepy. I do agree, it wont be easy though.
There are ways to do creepy (speaking strictly visually) without darkness; I'm guessing that they're going with the fairly common "distorting the innocent" thing, which compliments the bright, vibrant Columbia perfectly. The first trailer had quite a bit of this.

Anyways, ignoring the lack of atmosphere (which you can expect from a strictly gameplay trailer) this looks AWESOME. The combat looks ultra kinetic and positional, which is a great change from being inside a glass tube. Cannot wait to see the full thing.

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
They have cannons. think about that.

why would they have cannons unless they are preparing for war?

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
It looks pretty original, but if they have anything similar to ADAM or if the leader of Columbia is named 'Schmandrew Schryan', I'm going to be really pissed. Still, they managed to make a seemingly bright environment very menacing, which at least deserves some respect. I also look forward to playing this game and adding 'In America!' to every line, ala Bandit Keith.

"Goddamn sploicers got Johnny...IN AMERICA!"

Dr Ampersand

Jun 27, 2009
theSovietConnection said:
It almost looks as though you're playing through the downfall of Columbia, much like many people wanted for Rapture.

Cool.
Is that a prediction of the games end?

Seems cool, hopefully the combat will be less generic with the gadgets you have. The story should hopefully be up to par with bioshock 1's.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Holy awesome with a side of intense. Did you see the sliding on the cables part? Where he smacked that guy up in slow motion? That was John Woo shit right there. (Not really, I just love that phrase.) I can't wait for this. Is it 2012 yet?

theSovietConnection said:
It almost looks as though you're playing through the downfall of Columbia, much like many people wanted for Rapture.

Cool.
I certainly did. I was hoping Bioshock 2 would be a prequel. This is what I wanted in Bioshock 2.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Kellerb said:
They have cannons. think about that.

why would they have cannons unless they are preparing for war?
Well, an earlier article did state that Columbia actually turns out to more a Death Star (I almost typed Death Egg there, oops :p) than just a regular city, as regular as a floating city can be anyway, and if there's one thing you want a "Death Star" for, it's to go to war.

Liking this short clip of the gameplay so far, look forward to seeing more. I wonder what, or who, it is Elizabeth is pointing to in that trailer. Noting that she does look a little beaten at that point as well. Those handymen just don't know how to treat a lady, by the look of things! Disgraceful.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Jumplion said:
OT:I'm pretty excited for BioShock Infinite, we need more steampunk-y kind of games, it's a whole universe that has yet to be fully explored. The BioShock games seem to have that steampunk feel that I really like, and it's great that they know when they're done with a certain storyline (Rapture) and when to explore new ideas.

Consider this a buy for now.
I find it really exciting that Bioshock Infinite is taking a road less traveled. I think it will follow in Bioshock 1 (the only one) by standing out from the crowd. All of the "realistic" shooters and post-apocalyptic wasteland games have bored me to tears by now.
oranger said:
Maybe they'll do like demon's souls did: make the shadows nearly impenetrable, even in daylight until you step into them.
deliberately adding too much contrast to create artificial borders/territories like they did with water in bioshock.
Seriously, water being present changed so much in that game. Stuff some people may not have been aware of, like how much noise you make.
From the video clip and even in the trailer, it appears that the contrast between light and dark will be profound enough to create a completely different atmosphere of danger than the first Bioshock.

With this bright and vibrant world, every corner and alley of blackness could be hiding an entire mob of enemies. While Rapture was overall cast in despair, Colombia might be an environment that will try to lure us into a state of complacency out in the open.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
WanderingFool said:
hazabaza1 said:
So, it's stopped being "Horror action" and has become just plain old "action"?
Well, I'm still fine with that. Still looks to be a damn good game.
I didnt really think Bioshock had "Horror" or "Horror Action". Though it did have a great atmosphere that gave you the feeling of impending disaster and the like. Thats the one thing this game is missing, not a bad thing though.
I have to say from the first teaser trailer, and what I've read about the game, it appears that mechanical monster with the human heart (HIM) beating inside it, chases you throughout the whole damn game.
Yes it looks more action oriented, and alot more fast paced. It still looks awesome and has a different kind of atmosphere, but I'd say there will still be light horror elements to the game. Source you say? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock_Infinite

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Jumplion said:
OT:I'm pretty excited for BioShock Infinite, we need more steampunk-y kind of games, it's a whole universe that has yet to be fully explored. The BioShock games seem to have that steampunk feel that I really like, and it's great that they know when they're done with a certain storyline (Rapture) and when to explore new ideas.

Consider this a buy for now.
I find it really exciting that Bioshock Infinite is taking a road less traveled. I think it will follow in Bioshock 1 (the only one) by standing out from the crowd. All of the "realistic" shooters and post-apocalyptic wasteland games have bored me to tears by now.
Wtf do you mean by (the only one?) Bioshock II was great. Possibly the best game I've played this year compared to alot of the other shit that came out.
The story was great, carried on from the first and explained all the loose ends, the enemies were upgraded and made harder, the adam gathering was great, the dual wielding was different but I didn't hate it, and the drill... my god the drill so much fun to use. It was my main weapon.
They let you wander through completely different areas of Rapture and it didn't once feel like a retread, okay the underwater bits were kind of stupid but I just thought of them as massive loading screens.
The gameplay for 2 was much more intuitive, faster and upgraded from the first game, the plasmids were more interesting in 2 as were the methods you got them.
Yes bioshock II didn't have the "OMG WYK!" moment but it went further into that plotline and explained a bit more of the backstory to Jack.
For you to say Bioshock 1 was the only one... i really doubt you finished or hell even played II, because boy, it was a ripper of a game.
I was like you, I bought it for $18 brand new off ebay expecting it to be crap and just a rehash of Bioshck.
I was blown away by how much they improved on the world of rapture and it's rich characters.
the new weapons were great, the story was great, hacking was much less tedious and repetititve. In my opinion 2K Marin did an absolutely fucking brilliant job.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
A shame boishock is a fou AAA game like most these days. Mabye they will get around to balance and AI development not to mention deep mechanics somewhere around the 4th or 6th title when they reboot the series....

BS1>BS2 , BS has superior everything tho a couple of things in BS2 were nice didn't quite push it above BS tho.

Also if X or Y is the best thing that year and you go back acouple years to something better you'll notice we are moving backwards in mechanics,polish,ect. Of coarse most new media fans are to busy fapping at the latest thing to give a damn..... *sigh*

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that there are going to be a lot of "OH CRAP YOU'RE FALLING, oh it's okay, some stroke of luck saved you" cutscenes?

Oh yeah, there were 3 of them in the trailer.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
Come to think of it, didn't you sneak on board to rescue a princess?
Yep, it's the woman (Elizabeth) you see in the gameplay and the announcement trailer that you're there to rescue. As to why, no idea yet myself... Not sure if she's a princess or anything, though she must be someone of some import to go to all this bother for.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
I'd imagine it'd be like the gameplay for bioshock or bioshock 2, but hopefully better.