BioShock Studio Ditches 2K Boston Name, Redubbed as Irrational Games

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
It's a nice sounding name so I don't mind, for gods sake I own some games made by "Naughty Dog". That just shows you how much consumers care about a game developers name.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Lordmarkus said:
Me approves. 2K Bostons sounds so extremely dull compared to Irrational Games and the latter are a famous name in the industry.

Doesn't the name of the company sometimes goes synonymous with success since a slight mention of Valve, Bungie or Blizzard makes a fuzz.
Just remember, Valve was going to be called Gearbox until Gabe sucked at poker one day...

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
wordsmith said:
Lordmarkus said:
Me approves. 2K Bostons sounds so extremely dull compared to Irrational Games and the latter are a famous name in the industry.

Doesn't the name of the company sometimes goes synonymous with success since a slight mention of Valve, Bungie or Blizzard makes a fuzz.
Just remember, Valve was going to be called Gearbox until Gabe sucked at poker one day...
I pulled these names out of my hat beacause they make supposedly good games and are relatively famous, not because they have cool names or anything.

Sorry if that didn't came out clear in my last post.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Lordmarkus said:
wordsmith said:
Lordmarkus said:

I pulled these names out of my hat beacause they make supposedly good games and are relatively famous, not because they have cool names or anything.

Sorry if that didn't came out clear in my last post.
Nah, I was making a point about how much impact a name actually makes. Just as no-one would have cared if Half Life was by Gearbox or Valve, no-one will care that IG are no longer 2K Boston. The biggest implication is that they are under the 2K banner. Most gamers will know them for the games they make, just as most know that L4D was not made by Valve, it was made by Turtle Rock Studios.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Svenparty said:
and then hot carl every single one of the boxes.
You just made <color=Red>THE LIST...

OT:I don´t care what they're called.Just as long as they keep handing out quality games.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Notice how the logo is kinda art-deco, think that's a nod to the game that brought them back into the spotlight?

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Personally, I think this is FUCKING AWESOME.

It brings back the nostalgia of the System Shock series - I knew that 2K Boston was made up in the majority of Irrational employees, but for some reason this just reinforces it all for me.

Hoping this is a step towards a System Shock 3. Srz guys. I'd buy it a thousand times over.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Let's go back to the past, everyone!

Actually, I suppose it's a good thing, as people equate Irrational Games with some AAA titles, and 2K Boston with a big, faceless corporation.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
You know, I was beginning to recognise 2K games, after Borderlands. Knowing that they're also Irrational Games, the team behind Bioshock, hell yeah I'm gonna buy there games.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that game developer called Irrational Studios would be making two games about objectivism?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I approve. The old name was rather dull and had nothing to distinguish it from other 2K studios other than the location tacked on at the end.

People DO associate studios with their track records. In particular Take-Two, Blizzard, Valve, Insomniac, Bioware, and Naughty Dog are all very well-known gaming companies. Rocksteady makes the list as well for me for having made one of the best superhero games ever.