BioShock's Creator Could Become One of TIME's Most Influential People

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Guys, remember that this is the magazine that has last year's list include Justin Bieber, Sting, Oprah Winfrey and Bruno Mars. It's a truly silly list every year.

But what do you expect from the magazine that awarded Man of the Year to Adolf Hitler in 1938 and to Stalin twice?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
You can't give someone a 2012 award for the influence of a game that hasn't come out in 2012 or 2011 yet. What if Infinite turns out to be quite a boring game?

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
BrotherRool said:
You can't give someone a 2012 award for the influence of a game that hasn't come out in 2012 or 2011 yet. What if Infinite turns out to be quite a boring game?
True, but you can give him recognition for the original Bioshock. That and according to Time, it was his game, Bioshock that started the "Games as an Art" debate (which I'm doing a persuasive paper on now). You can award him for that.

Now on to my post: The internet has heard the call, [http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2107952_2107959_2107960,00.html] I voted for him and then checked the poll results at after scrolling to the link at the bottom of the list. He's second on the poll, right behind Ron Paul. Anonymous is also on there, what the fuck...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Vanbael said:
BrotherRool said:
True, but you can give him recognition for the original Bioshock. That and according to Time, it was his game, Bioshock that started the "Games as an Art" debate (which I'm doing a persuasive paper on now). You can award him for that.

Now on to my post: The internet has heard the call, [http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2107952_2107959_2107960,00.html] I voted for him and then checked the poll results at after scrolling to the link at the bottom of the list. He's second on the poll, right behind Ron Paul. Anonymous is also on there, what the fuck...
Fair enough, I thought this was a yearly thing

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
This guy and Kony2012 among the contestants for for TIME's most influential people? What kind of joke is this. Not even funny.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
This is defiantly a good thing gets a game series that isn't just about 12 year old's swearing online into the public view for once so go Ken Levine

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I liked Bioshock, Bioshock 2 was only bad when compared to the original, and System Shock 2 overshadows both. Since Levine worked on SS2 (as well as Thief: The Dark Project), he gets my vote.
Even if it weren't for my love of Bioshock and System Shock, I think Levine is just a neat person in general.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Much like the Oscars, Time Magazines 100 most influential list is well..... fallen from what it used to be. Wheres a guy like Tank Man when you need him!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Imbechile said:
Waaghpowa said:
I swear sometimes I'm one of 10 people in the world who thought Bioshock was boring and over rater.
You, me, and almost all System shock fans.
If you liked System Shock 2 you should LOVE Ken Levine because he was lead designer on SS2. He is the one who though they should bring back SHODAN. For that I will always be grateful. I didn't think much of Bioshock either, but Ken Levine has made a great contribution to games. That said I'd still rate Meier, Gollop, and Avellone above him.

That photograph vexes me, it's back-focused, it hurts me physically that it wasn't deleted.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Waaghpowa said:
I swear sometimes I'm one of 10 people in the world who thought Bioshock was boring and over rater.
Oh, you mean the copy pas- er, spiritual successor to System Shock? They remade an old game and people jumped at the chance to lower their pants and ride the unoriginal cock of business marketing. Oh and that twist? Yeah, real great. Totally believable. People go on and on about how it was such a surprising deconstruction of the single player experience and how you, the player, are so quick to do whatever the game tells you. Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure you then spend the rest of the fucking game doing exactly that, only some tosser isn't saying "would you kindly." What a fucking revolution.

Game: "Oh, look, you have been doing everything he told you because you were trained to. JUST LIKE WE TRAINED YOU TO DO WHATEVER WE TELL YOU IN VIDEO GAMES! *evil laugh*"

The player: Wow! I never saw that coming! It's so true; we do spend so much time doing what we are told... Makes you think... Now, where does the game allow me to go next? What's that? I need to pick this item up? Okay, video game."

Amazing.

/rant

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I love Bioshock but I don't understand what made him the most influential developer in 2012.
Did I miss something?
Regardless, I wish him success.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Oh wow. He really does kinda look like Ben Stiller. Now I can't unsee it.

This is a good thing, it's great that he's been nominated for TIME's Most Influential People. Especially since some of Time's journalists still think video games are for children [http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/03/28/the-power-of-young-adult-fiction/adults-should-read-adult-books].

Jul 9, 2008
Eleima said:

This is a good thing, it's great that he's been nominated for TIME's Most Influential People. Especially since some of Time's journalists still think video games are for children [http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/03/28/the-power-of-young-adult-fiction/adults-should-read-adult-books].
I really don't know what to say about that article. Just...wow.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Oh, you mean the copy pas- er, spiritual successor to System Shock?
Some gameplay elements are similar, so the game is a copy-paste of SS2? Do you also believe that all point and click adventure games are essentially the same game? Not sure if trolling :/

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Who? Not sayin that he's a bad guy or anything, but shouldn't "most influential" be reserved for someone who... er... influences people? Not counting the people he works with....

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Eleima said:

I really don't know what to say about that article. Just...wow.
There really is little to be said. I think that his lack of professionalism was proved from the moment he basically wrote "I didn't read this, but nonetheless, I think it's total crap".

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
octafish said:
I didn't think much of Bioshock either, but Ken Levine has made a great contribution to games. That said I'd still rate Meier, Gollop, and Avellone above him.
Man, I'd add a number of people to that list... especially Peter Molyneux despite the fact that in the years since leaving Bullfrog he's become more obviously batshit insane.