BioShock's Creator Could Become One of TIME's Most Influential People

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Based on his merits alone, I'd say yes. Based on who else they decided to include on this list, I'd say very yes. Beyonce? Are you fucking kidding me?

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
Carnagath said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Oh, you mean the copy pas- er, spiritual successor to System Shock?
Some gameplay elements are similar, so the game is a copy-paste of SS2? Do you also believe that all point and click adventure games are essentially the same game? Not sure if trolling :/
Not that I don't like Bioshock (I enjoyed playing it quite a bit), but it's pretty much a note for note remake of System Shock 2 with less features.

Fontaine = SHODAN

Andrew Ryan = Diego/Korenchkin

Atlas = Dr. Janice Polito

Splicers = The Many

ADAM = Cybernetic modules

Rapture = The Von Braun

etc.

This dude did a pretty good video explaining it:

Off topic: I fucking love Sgt. Bronson's story from System Shock 2. That is all. Point 2: If there is any game out there that needs an HD remake, it is Sysytem Shock 2.

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
Nice to see some recognition thrown his way - but I doubt he'll win. That said, if Santorum wins, I'll be heading over to the Time offices with a golf club quicker than you can say... 'that' phrase.

RyuujinZERO

Oct 4, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
I swear sometimes I'm one of 10 people in the world who thought Bioshock was boring and over rated.
You found the second. System Shock 2 was great, bioshock... it was no spiritual successor THATS for sure. It was an arty shoot 'em up...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So far I've gotten a total of 4 replies. Adding myself, there's 5 people who didn't like Bioshock.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
Every magazine loves to pump out issues with a top 10 or top 100 people list because they generate so much attention in the press and generate increased magazine sales. It also fuels our foolish, cultural obsession of ranking crap. Do yourselves a favour and ignore all this nonsense.

Jul 9, 2008
Eleima said:
Eleima said:
Oh wow. He really does kinda look like Ben Stiller. Now I can't unsee it.

This is a good thing, it's great that he's been nominated for TIME's Most Influential People. Especially since some of Time's journalists still think video games are for children [http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/03/28/the-power-of-young-adult-fiction/adults-should-read-adult-books].
I really don't know what to say about that article. Just...wow.
There really is little to be said. I think that his lack of professionalism was proved from the moment he basically wrote "I didn't read this, but nonetheless, I think it's total crap".
This paragraph gets me:
I appreciate that adults occasionally watch Pixar movies or play video games. That?s fine. Those media don?t require much of your brains. Books are one of our few chances to learn. There?s a reason my teachers didn?t assign me to go home and play three hours of Donkey Kong.
There is SOOOOO much wrong with that paragraph, it boggles the mind.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
The list is... interesting (pretty much the most neutral response I could do).

Bah. TIME. It's kinda like Rolling Stone. Both should have stopped printing ages ago.