BioWare: A Dead Shepard Stays Dead

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
this is one of the most interesting trilogies i have ever seen. the choices of one game will affect another, thank you bioware for spilling your genius upon the world

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Meh, I don't know why anyone would complain, if Shepard is dead likely so is most everyone else! I'm playing through again because I lost a grand total of two (minor) characters!

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
Kimarous said:
Random Argument Man said:
Well that's a bit of a bummer. It's like they're saying "Do it our way or we won't let you have the prize".
That would be like ending Empire Strikes Back with Chewbacca as the only survivor.
Wait a sec...Wookie rage in the Death star...That sounds awesome. To make your point valid, I would say "ending Empire Strikes Back with C-3PO".

There!
I was going to say C-3PO, but I thought Joker deserved better than being compared to him.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Well, I haven't reached that part in the game yet so now I better be careful about what choices I make toward the end of it.

Silver

Jun 17, 2008
Well, how's that for shitting all over the consequences. If your actions don't have the consequences Bioware wants, then fuck you, everything's erased and you do it differently.

Yeah. That's nice. That's not how death works. Make Shepard stay dead if you want to have consequences. That's how things work, consequences don't erase themselves, start over and resurrect people just because someone dies.

Sure, it's the story of Shepard, but it could go on anyway. The crew keeping up Shepard's legacy. Hell, it'd be real easy to do too, and it could make it even more powerful, being able to visit your own funeral, hearing what everyone said about you after you died, you know. Cool, persistent, instead of just save/load any time everything doesn't work out.

superdance14

Oct 15, 2008
You can play Mass Effect 3 if you died in Mass Effect 2 of course, but you'll have to create a new Shepard.

BioWare's just going right through these Shepards aren't they?

He died, let's make a new one! He died again, go make another one!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kimarous said:
I was going to say C-3PO, but I thought Joker deserved better than being compared to him.
I think 3PO's a decent comparison if only because that means R2D2 can be EDI ;>

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
the protaginist said:
So the Lazarus Project won't work twice, I suppose?
Screw you and your logic!

OT: My Shepard survived, and I'm pretty happy about that, because if the character I had personalised and played for two games had died, I'd be rather annoyed.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh, wow, lucky I survived. Thought I don't think I'll be doing a manual save with any other characters after I enter the Omega 4 relay, at least, not in the same file.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I saved my entire team so I won't be affected by this.

Still, like Bioware put it, the trilogy is Shepards story. If he dies and you play as another character in ME3 then it ain't Shepards story anymore now is it?

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Awesome. The only people who died in my team are the useless ones that i didn't like such as Thane and Jacob.

Optional Opinion

Dec 29, 2008
Amnestic said:
sunami88 said:
Can we get a fucking spoiler alert on the title, please?
Fearzone said:
A bit of a spoiler in the title, don't you think?
The fecking Mass Effect 2 trailers say "This is a suicide mission."

But we could of wrote that off as a dramatic advertisement. The title of this tells us that he does/could die, then I was stupid enough to read on and find out it's the could. A spoiler would of been nice.

OT

I've not played the game yet so I couldn't accurately speculate. If you still play Shepard in the third game, cyborg or not I would of thought it would make sense to carry on the save game. If you play as a new person just a uniform x then the dead stays dead would be acceptable, but as I've said I haven't got the game yet so it's all guess work.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Thats a bit silly, considering that the whole point of these games is to carve your own story, your own events etc. Now people will play trying to keep this certain person alive, which kinda goes against the point of the games. What if i hate Shepard and want to kill him off? I would then be effectively penalised for my actions in a game that boasts that the story is made and fashioned by the user...

Greeboz

Nov 9, 2009
Nimbus said:
Aww, man! Fuck that... I wanted to play as Joker!
What's he going to do? Break his arm at them?
tk1989 said:
Thats a bit silly, considering that the whole point of these games is to carve your own story, your own events etc. Now people will play trying to keep this certain person alive, which kinda goes against the point of the games. What if i hate Shepard and want to kill him off? I would then be effectively penalised for my actions in a game that boasts that the story is made and fashioned by the user...
You fail to understand that the story is about Shepherd. If you like the choices you made in ME 1 and 2 with Shepherd dying at the end of ME2, then don't play ME3. Your turn is done. The galaxy will be destroyed and it's your fault.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Sounds pretty lame to me, so no matter what, it doesn't matter at all what you do in Mass Effect 2. A fresh Shepard is established into Mass Effect 3 with a canonical background with what happened in the second game. So how is that different from any other game ever made?

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
Nimbus said:
Aww, man! Fuck that... I wanted to play as Joker!
Joker: The only man in the universe that is capable of getting it on with a multi-million credit, state-of-the-art, heavily armed and armored warship.

Now THATS a main character.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
tehroc said:
Sounds pretty lame to me, so no matter what, it doesn't matter at all what you do in Mass Effect 2. A fresh Shepard is established into Mass Effect 3 with a canonical background with what happened in the second game. So how is that different from any other game ever made?
What? All he is saying is that if Shepard died in Mass Effect 2 (it's actually hard to do so bad that Shepard dies) then you can't import the save for obvious reasons. Other saves can still be imported.

tk1989 said:
What if i hate Shepard and want to kill him off?
Why would you ever want to kill your own character? That means you can't play the game anymore.

Honestly how can anyone be surprised by this?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
sunami88 said:
Can we get a fucking spoiler alert on the title, please?
Given that Shepard's death was something that BioWare talked about several times before the game came out, it seems a bit unnecessary.