BioWare Asks Gamers if They Want a Mass Effect Prequel

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
RhombusHatesYou said:
Definitely after... mostly because I'm a sadistic prick who wants to see them try and write their way out of how they finished the trilogy.
This.

I will admit, I am playing through the games again. Doing a Paragon run through on an Adept. Vanguard was a hell of a lot more fun to play, but I'll tough it out. Just starting Mass Effect 3, couldn't even touch it until now after my Renegade run through.. those endings..

I think it would be hilarious to see how Bioware could actually explain the endings, any one of them. As mentioned before, either:

a) Anything with a logic circuit got blown up by red ending. No more synthetics, no more synthetic parts, no more AIs, no more super computers. Just organics and basic machines and computers.

b) Everythng basically turned into a Reaper by green ending. Mass Effect 2, building the reaper, analysis confirmed a composite of inorganic and organic materials. Sounds exactly like synthesis to me. Yay enternal life and never going hungry, no reproductive drive, etc. What is left to do?

c) Shepard is watching over us.. through reapers, Geth, all AIs, etc, through Blue ending. Yeah..

Yeah, please make sense of any of those endings.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Prequel. You can't really follow the immense ending of ME3 and they'd have to pick what officially happened.
Doing a prequel allows to delve deeper into the humans' introduction to the rest of the galaxy. I think it'd make for a grittier, better and more personal story. As long as the prequel features none of the characters of the trilogy. Would have to be completely separate.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
If pressed I'd go with prequel before the humans even found the first artifact. Lets have a game with no humans at all, it would be refreshing to actual do some real role playing for a change.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Ideally, they could move on with a brand new franchise to murder. Even more ideally, they could reboot ME3 and give us a proper conclusion.

That said, I don't have a vested interest in the series anymore. I'm done.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Why Pre- or Sequel and not an Interquel? There is a 2-year-gap between ME1 and ME2. There are TONS of things that could be told there. Could cover characters we already know or new ones. It could lets us get background details on events from the series that already have happened or will happen (or both), maybe allow us to experience events just mentioned in ME2...

And one thing I am personally interested: How did the change from in-build-heatclips to loose ones affect conflicts? In ME2, out of the sudden, loose Heat clips exists. All fine from a gameplay point and it makes sense that people were looking for something better than the existing system, which turned fights basically into stalemates. New system solved that BUT... that change didn't happen over night, either.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Nice to see they're going to the fans on this question.

My choice? After.

If, however, they do a prequel it should essentially be one in name only. The worst part about prequels is how you already know how they're going to end, but if they set the ME prequel so far removed from the ME trilogy in time/space that it has nothing to do with anything we've seen already it could work. The mythos they've created is certainly deep and wide enough to do that successfully.. but I'd still choose after.
well they did establish that there were uncounted cycles before humanity, so they can go nuts establishing whatever they want, since none of those cycles aside from the Prothean one were expanded
if they go for a setting after the trilogy, they would have to add a save import to decide what happened
although it'd basically mean they'd have to make 3 games out of it =P

Kipiru

Mar 17, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
My answer? No. I kind of lost interest in the series after the second game.
"No" to what? If you're saying No to another game in the series, then please go hide in a hole and stop bothering us. If not- then clarify.
Thank you for so kindly accepting my opinion.
/angry sarcasm
:mad:
Sorry- i've just had it with haters. Your oppinion on the subject is valid, if you still have vested interest in the franchise, otherwise it would be just trolling. No to the idea of a prequel is actually my thought as well.
Thing is I'm not a hater. I don't hate the series. I'm just not interested in it anymore and I don't think an additional game would add anything beneficial to it. But then again, it's gotten to the point now where I actually fear any additions to franchises that I currently enjoy or have enjoyed in the past. ...esp. prequels or interquels (what I call entries that are inserted into the middle of established canon) because they tend to really fuck up established canon. Eg. Star Trek: Enterprise with that whole temporal cold war thing.
Well that's the problem right there- you lost interest, so what does it matter to you what happens. Me and a lot of others want more and this is a dsicussion on what is it that we want more of. Noone is going to make you play anything new that comes out, so why deny us the pleasure?

fozzy360 said:
Ideally, they could move on with a brand new franchise to murder. Even more ideally, they could reboot ME3 and give us a proper conclusion.

Same to you- why are you here? Why are you commenting on something that you don't care for? Are you in such a bad need of attention?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, the point is that they're gonna do another ME game anyway. So who cares?!

But...I'd say sequel. But not like immediate sequel. Let it be around 50 years after or something like that. Also, different characters.

Anyone watched Avatar: The Last Airbender? Anyone watched Legend of Korra?
Yeah, like that.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
How about neither. Fuck this series.
That or the option of wanting Kasey Hudson to swallow a hundred pounds of broken glass.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Screw prequels. I already have know what happened in the past, and if something happened that I don't know about, it clearly wasn't all that important anyway. I want to know what happens NEXT. A good sequel set in the aftermath of ME3 could lend legitimacy to ME3's ending and even retroactively excuse them - after all, ME3's ending was balls, but if it leads to a unique and exciting sequel, I'm sure even the most ardent detractors will forgive it, if not accept it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
"No" to what? If you're saying No to another game in the series, then please go hide in a hole and stop bothering us. If not- then clarify.
/angry sarcasm
Sorry- i've just had it with haters. Your oppinion on the subject is valid, if you still have vested interest in the franchise, otherwise it would be just trolling. No to the idea of a prequel is actually my thought as well.
Thing is I'm not a hater. I don't hate the series. I'm just not interested in it anymore and I don't think an additional game would add anything beneficial to it. But then again, it's gotten to the point now where I actually fear any additions to franchises that I currently enjoy or have enjoyed in the past. ...esp. prequels or interquels (what I call entries that are inserted into the middle of established canon) because they tend to really fuck up established canon. Eg. Star Trek: Enterprise with that whole temporal cold war thing.
Well that's the problem right there- you lost interest, so what does it matter to you what happens. Me and a lot of others want more and this is a dsicussion on what is it that we want more of. Noone is going to make you play anything new that comes out, so why deny us the pleasure?
Did you not read the part where I said that I don't think the series could benefit from any additional entries? Or the part where I said I actually fear any new entries to franchises I enjoy or used to enjoy? Because if you did then you'd understand why it matters to me. Besides it's not as though Bioware is going to base it's decision on my opinion.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Prequel would be far better than a sequel also more believable becuse what are you going to do after those ME3 endings, like really, only ending that had any legs was the later added do nothing ending and even that one can eventually result only one outcome unless they pull another starchild out of somewhere. Prequel could possibly be really good like the first contact wars era or something but even if they pull it of perfectly there will still be two things shadowing the prequel(s) everybody will konow how it will end and you can not possibly make a game with higher stakes than ME3.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
I'm still rooting for a western RPG set in the Mass Effect world. Presumably set after the third game in the trilogy.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Neither.

The series is dead for me so I dont see a reason for it to continue.
Because we all known that Clueless Hudson and Hack Walters are going to my green the cannon ending.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
As long as it's a storyline of it's own, does it really matter?

I mean the Reapers are pretty much done, I don't see how they could make an interesting game featuring them. At least not as interesting as a completely new storyline.

Before we have the First Contact War, they could do a pretty interesting story there. Set on Shanxi and featuring general Williams in some way (hopefully not the protagonist though) it could make a pretty great prequel. But it'd be forcefully restricted to be more of a tie-in standalone game. Don't think there's enough happening there to make a full prequel trilogy.

Afterwards you could do another big trilogy. Especially if you make a few decades in time pass. Only problem is dealing with the three different endings as it makes a rather big difference whether or not the Reapers still exist and whether or not the entire universe is made up of synthetic-organic hybrids.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
teh_Canape said:
StriderShinryu said:
Nice to see they're going to the fans on this question.

My choice? After.

If, however, they do a prequel it should essentially be one in name only. The worst part about prequels is how you already know how they're going to end, but if they set the ME prequel so far removed from the ME trilogy in time/space that it has nothing to do with anything we've seen already it could work. The mythos they've created is certainly deep and wide enough to do that successfully.. but I'd still choose after.
well they did establish that there were uncounted cycles before humanity, so they can go nuts establishing whatever they want, since none of those cycles aside from the Prothean one were expanded
if they go for a setting after the trilogy, they would have to add a save import to decide what happened
although it'd basically mean they'd have to make 3 games out of it =P
I would actually say the far more likely approach if they did an after game would be to just choose one of the outcomes as the canon outcome and roll with that. Sure it would tick a lot of pepole off, but it would make it far easier then, as you correctly say, making essentially 3+ games instead of one. Of course, they could also set an after game far enough into the future that anything that happened in the original series is ancient history and doesn't impact much at all on the current universe.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
That's a strange thing to ask on twitter. They want a bunch of people to say whether they want a prequel or sequel in less than 200 characters. What use would that be?

I smell an uninspired attempt a viral marketing ;-)

Personally I don't care. Mass Effect and Bioware have outlived themselves.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
/angry sarcasm

fozzy360 said:

Same to you- why are you here? Why are you commenting on something that you don't care for? Are you in such a bad need of attention?
Possibly because they're still bitter about how a franchise with such promise ended on such a backwards nonsensical note. Just because you claim to lose intrest in a franchise doesn't mean you won't keep an eye on it, whether it's to see if it'll redeem itself or how much further down the shitter it'll go before you're offended enough to turn away.

OP: I'm another for neither, though less because I don't want to see another one. I'd like to see an alternate universe entry where Shepard doesn't even exist, but the lore remains intact. [sub][sub]Maybe then we'll get an ending that makes sense, to.[/sub][/sub]