Bioware blocks user from playing his store-bought copy of DA2, for bad-mouthing EA?

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
And this, people, is just another reason why people pirate: Because game companies treat their customers like ****.

And it's incredible they can't see it themself.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Bioware is my favourite developer but this makes me lose a little respect for them (well mostly ea).

Think the lesson here is if you wanna slag off a company do it on a third party site lol. If it were me i'd just grab a crack since i already paid for it.

jayman52

Sep 12, 2009
soulsabr said:
And they can't figure out why we walk around pirating the games. Sorry, guys, but it AIN'T pirating if you paid for it.
I agree with this statement 100%.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
ImprovizoR said:
What they did is illegal. It's that simple. It's his opinion and his right to free speech.
Look at the ToS. It is perfectly legal. Are they being massive dicks? Yes. But it is legal.
He's from the EU where EULAs like this are most definately illegal.
It's just that noone will mount an international law-suit over what amounts to 500? at best.
Hence why so many companies get away with this.

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
I really need more info before I can make a judgment call here, but If it's in the terms of service than you can really do anything about it.

That said I think the idea that you aren't allowed to access what you paid for just because of what you said is extreme bull.

Makes me glad to still be disk guy whenever I here about things like this.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Omnific One said:
psicat said:
So what. Steam does it all the time and you still get millions who love Steam. That other companies have similar policies doesn't surprise me nowadays, neither does the fact Bioware would happily implement it with all the trolling they are receiving lately about Dragon Age 2.
Where does it say in the Steam TOS that if you say "Steam is horrible," you will have your account banned and all the games will be worthless? I thought so.

Please think before posting.

Eri said:
StarCecil said:
Eri said:
ImprovizoR said:
What they did is illegal. It's that simple. It's his opinion and his right to free speech.
Free speech doesn't apply to everything. Also he agreed to rules, which he broke.
He also paid ?50 for a game that he cannot now play. Is that right?
That has no bearing on what I said. Regardless, what's done is done.
What's done is done? Nice. So stealing is ok, as long as its "done" in the eyes of an outsider.
What? If you agree to terms and break them, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I think this can be agreed by all to be a time when piracy is a valid option.

But more precisely I guess the moral here is to either not slag someone off to their face, or make sure you use a proxy account to do so.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Staskala said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
ImprovizoR said:
Look at the ToS. It is perfectly legal. Are they being massive dicks? Yes. But it is legal.
It's just that noone will mount an international law-suit over what amounts to 500? at best.
There are places where the EULA isn't considered a binding contract? Damn, wish I could get in on that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Id change my major into law and become a lawyer and just keep suing them till they killed themselfs

but I get a bit pissed about things like this

jayman52

Sep 12, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Staskala said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
ImprovizoR said:
There are places where the EULA isn't considered a binding contract? Damn, wish I could get in on that.
A EULA should never have started being considered a binding contract. The fact that it is gives companies way too much power and the ability to absolutely obliterate the US constitution.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Solution seems to be:

Post discontent on impartial message boards
-
Don't ever go on official [brand name] boards

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
He should be able to get a full refund at least, if he is from the UK, due to the statutory right of it not being fit for purpose.

Danz D Man

Jun 26, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
Not true, at least for the reason you mentioned.
Free speech doesn't extend to what you do in a privately-owned location. That'd be like saying I can't kick you out of my house if you start making remarks about my wife (just an example, I don't have a wife). They can limit his speech while he's using their forums.

However, I do believe that taking his game from him is illegal. However, they didn't really do that, since he can make a new account. It sucks, but he can still work around it.

Still, I've lost a lot of respect for Bioware. Which is funny since I'm replaying Jade Empire.

Edit: It's probably mostly EA, but the Bioware mod was a bit of a jerk anyway.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Eri said:
Omnific One said:
psicat said:
So what. Steam does it all the time and you still get millions who love Steam. That other companies have similar policies doesn't surprise me nowadays, neither does the fact Bioware would happily implement it with all the trolling they are receiving lately about Dragon Age 2.
Where does it say in the Steam TOS that if you say "Steam is horrible," you will have your account banned and all the games will be worthless? I thought so.

Please think before posting.

Eri said:
StarCecil said:
Eri said:
ImprovizoR said:
Free speech doesn't apply to everything. Also he agreed to rules, which he broke.
He also paid ?50 for a game that he cannot now play. Is that right?
That has no bearing on what I said. Regardless, what's done is done.
What's done is done? Nice. So stealing is ok, as long as its "done" in the eyes of an outsider.
What? If you agree to terms and break them, you have no one to blame but yourself.
But where do terms of service end and a consumer's rights begin? If I buy a band's CD, say their label sucks on the forums and get banned, fine. But does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to listen to my purchased product?

They guy violated terms of service, but he still bought his damn game. He owns it, doesn't he?

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
This is why being on an official company forum is self defeating. Any controversy or dissenting opinions are illegal; you must be a happy little money bag that tells all the other money bags how happy you are.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Hmmm, so if I don't like someone I can hit report by their post (recruiting a few friends to do the same) and block them from being able to play their favorite games?

This doesn't appear to have any possible negative consequences at all.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
J03bot said:
Pretty sure that's theft on Bioware/EA's part?

Just because they currently dislike that user doesn't give them the right to remove his ability to play games on that account - that prevents him from accessing save files and DLC in previous Bioware games too. (obviously a new account could be made for DA2)

How well does playing offline work? Would that let him access his (non-DA2) games again?
http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section9
Look at 9 and 11. They could effectively cut him off. Sounds like what they did.
Staskala said:
Accoring to him he can't access any of his content, nor log into any game.
The only option he has now is cracking the games he legally bought.
Since logging in online is technically unnecessary, he could disconnect his PC from the internet before playing, but that's kind of a hassle.

Dragon Age 2 would just require him to register a new account, surely? A new account that he's clearly already made. That would also allow him access to the extra signature edition content.

Although the language in the agreement confuses me - is something you own an 'entitlement'? I'd assume not, which gives EA no right to prevent you from accessing it by the terms they present.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
jayman52 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Staskala said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
ImprovizoR said:
A EULA should never have started being considered a binding contract. The fact that it is gives companies way too much power and the ability to absolutely obliterate the US constitution.
I blame companies taking advantage of most politicians' ignorance of technology. Most didn't know the ramifications it could have.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Dick move Bioware/EA. I love the game. I'd even say more then Origins. But this is just prickish.

Valve is now my favorite dev, and I don't think many would disagree with that statement.