BioWare Breaks Down Mass Effect 3 Game Modes

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
I still cannot believe some of these comments. I just don't understand how some of you are reaching the conclusions you're posting here.

Somebody please. Explain to me how by having different game modes the player gets to choose to play = they've removed all RPG elements from the game?

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
I cant agree with you more. I am at the moment teaching my girlfriend how to play games on pc and at first i instantly thought she would pick it up in about a minute or 2 but that was not the case i quickly learned that she needed a bit more help and guidence so as to better learn how to play. Games not as easy as you think.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Hudson was quick to clarify that "default" does not mean canon. "We have a rule in our franchise that there is no canon. You as a player decide what your story is,..."
Unless you screw up the porting process and don't feel like fixing it? I'm looking at you Conrad, the Consort, and Serta Foundation. <.<

OT- So long as there is a mode similar to what I play in ME 1 and 2 I'm ok with this. I'm really curios about the multiplayer though.

Gather said:
We have a rule in our franchise that there is no canon
Wish Dragon Age 2 had that. Leliana IS ALIVE EVEN IF YOU KILLED HER. KK, I AM WRITER; I AM RIGHT. YOU PETTY CUSTOMERS ARE WRONG.
Yea this too, but to be honest I have tried to compleatly forget about DA2.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I was relieved when I read the article, and then the comments smacked me silly. Why do you people care about options you're never going to use?!

"@_@ NO PAIN NO GAIN. I PLAYED NETHACK AT AGE 8!"
Good for you; Dark Souls recently came out, btw. Also, that's no reason to belittle those millions of gamers that didn't spend their early childhood plodding through Fallout 2 clueless and scared because they're the wrong demographic. I guess you have to wear such misadventures as a badge of pride to separate yourselves from the sheepish masses gamers that began with conventional games.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Yeah, I really don't have a problem with the presence of different modes.

I mean, sure, I definitely want to experience the thrill of maximum difficulty combat and experience every single piece of dialogue in the game the first couple of times I play it and get the full game experience with nothing cut down or left out, but if I just want to blow through it on a weekend after the tenth time playing the game, then the presence of different modes might feel like a godsend. I've even had that experience going back and playing ME1 and 2 before, where I'm like, "I can recite this whole conversation by heart; I don't need to hear the full fifteen minute dialogue again."

Really, of all the things people might have to complain about in Mass Effect 3 when it finally comes out, I highly doubt this mode thing is going to rate up there, considering it has no impact on the final game product any more than giving a player the option to manually lower difficulty in the options menu or to manually skip dialogue, which all ME games already do. All it does is do it automatically.

If people are going to get their underwear in a twist about ME3, you'd think it should be about the actual content of the game rather than an arbitrary option and difficulty setting which didn't require the designers to add or cut anything from the finished product. It's a bit like saying a game is ruined because its opening menu screen sucks or because you can alter the brightness and sound settings.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
Camoman said:
For those of you you who think that the different game modes are a bad idea, I have something to say to you.

Get over yourselves. Just play it in RPG mode like you always have and this will not be a problem.

I for one am happy the options exist. Example: My brother loved the combat mechanics in ME2 but could not be bothered to play through the game because he simply found that the long conversation sections just to boring. Now he can sit there and let the conversations play like cinematics, before resuming the ass-kicking.
i cant speak for anyone else, but to me it just seems like doing something like this takes away from the overall quality take for example flying cars: yes over the past 100 years several have been made, but they have suffered on the road and in the air and never really gave what was desired

the more i hear about this game the less i want to hear

Apr 5, 2008
Why BW? The previous two games were popular, well made and polished and went down well critically, financially and with fans. Why do you have to broaden your games so much like this? You're cheapening them and the work your people have put in over the years. Why not add a Wii/Kinect option for grandparents to wave their arms at? Or an educational version for the below 4 year olds? Then you can please EVERYONE.