BioWare Cancels Shadow Realms RPG Development

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'm all for fantasy RPGs in NON-MEDIEVAL settings, but I agree that that one looked bland, plus I didn't like the coop focus (and neither did a lot of a people, it seems).

I'm still waiting on a Bethesda(esque) version of Arcanum (or an industrial fantasy game of that sort).

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Gxas said:
"We're abandoning our new IP to churn out more sequels."

And the community, oddly, is ok with this? I'll never understand the current state of gaming, I guess.
Because elements of the community like the properties getting sequels. It's an utterly insane thing to acknowledge I understand, but that's just the wild and wacky reality we have to deal with!

OT

Never even took a look at this but anything that means more attention and resources diverted to the next Mass Effect is alright with me.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
pearcinator said:
Yeah I was really disappointed with the reveal of that IP. The teaser trailers looked like it would be a psychological, paranormal horror game but it looked like a generic multiplayer crap. I am happy that it's been cancelled.
I thought so as well. But why aren't they keeping what they've built so far and just make it an RPG? I guess with a decent amount of lore and different mechanics, this could be their inofficial 'World of Darkness'-thing. On the other hand: Man, was I disappointed when I saw the first trailer for this.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
pearcinator said:
Yeah I was really disappointed with the reveal of that IP. The teaser trailers looked like it would be a psychological, paranormal horror game but it looked like a generic multiplayer crap. I am happy that it's been cancelled.
This. Very, very much this.

The teasers showed a lot of promise, but the reveal...man was that a complete and utter let down.

I'd actually forgotten that the game existed not long after it was announced and with Evolve + Deep + a myriad of other asymmetrical games coming out recently, this just seemed like more and more of a poor decision on Bioware's part.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
It was an interesting concept, but I doubt that it would have executed as planned. I was actually looking forward to the concept of a team of 4 players dogpiling on a 5th and how they were planning on balancing that out. But it looked like a specific player balance would be needed to play it out properly and I really don't see how an arena style matchmaker was going to get any longevity without some other kind of (single player) content thrown in.

I suspect their alpha testing showed something along those lines.

Edit:

There are some great arena style games out there with matchmaking but they all involve more than five players. the scale that Bioware was going for was very odd here. It was like they wanted to do a multiplayer game but not too much of a multiplayer game. Since this is all multiplayer though...just odd.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I had pretty much zero interest in it once I found out it was coop only, so I'm hardly shedding any tears over it. Though the setting did sound cool and I wouldn't mind having them use it in a proper game...

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I wasn't thrilled by the 4v1 design, but I was intrigued by the setting and willing to give it a try. So I'm a little disappointed to see it cancelled.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Aspects of the design looked interesting and the shadowlord gamemaster like gameplay element could have been fun, so I'm a little disappointed to see it go over those reasons, but all in all It doesn't feel like a great loss.

No doubt they'll hold on to the ideas and try to repurpose them with a more engaging setting.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Fanghawk said:
its first new franchise since 2011's Star Wars: The Old Republic.
"New" in this case apparently meaning "a franchise they've had for a decade and not actually new in any way".

SlumlordThanatos said:
After all, they tend to focus on a single-player game with great characters and an epic storyline
Their most recent games have been The Old Republic and Dragon Age Inquisition, one an MMO, the other desperately wanting to be one. Before that was Mass Effect 3, with forced multiplayer if you actually wanted to be able to win it. They've made great character-driven single-player games in the past, but that's certainly not what they're focussing on any more.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Shadow realms sort of looked like a mess to be honest, so I'm not too sad to see it go. Though we'll never know how good it could have been now of course.

I'm happy to hear they're gonna be working more with SW:TOR, it's still my go-to mmo and it's improved quite a lot over the years. Yes naysayers, it actually has a thriving community.

Recently they were slow with updates and bugfixes though, with the exploits in the new raids and all...

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The initial reveal and gameplay was very "meh" to me. In a way I'm happy this happened because Bioware shouldn't make multiplayer games in the first place..they are known for their singleplayer experiences.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
Bioware, just make an RPG in the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra universe already. It'd fit your game style like a hand in a glove.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
*yawns* Oh noes.

8 years ago, this might have been cause for serious worry, but since Bioware is under EA's thumb, I've come to lower my expectations appropriately.

The Shadowlord gamemaster thing sounded like a nice callback to the GM mode from Neverwinter Nights 1, but apart from that there was absolutely NOTHING to catch my interest.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Elfgore said:
The game's idea, of super heroes in a modern setting, was actually pretty decent. It would of made on hell of a ARPG with like seven or eight powers available to choose between and level up. But that 4v1 shit is becoming a little too common and nothing made this one stand out like Evolve. Getting some expansions for Inquisition or more work put into Mass Effect 4 is a worthy trade.
Yeah, with Evolve now out, it sees like there the potential market for 4v1 is already saturated. The setting for the game was compelling though. If they turned that into a single-player RPG, I'd buy it.

As you suggest, more Mass Effect (and maybe that Mass Effect trilogy remastered for the new consoles they;ve been promising) would be a better use of resources.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
I hadn't heard anything about this since the teaser trailer, which looked really intriguing, so I was disappointed to hear of this cancellation. Now that I know more about the direction of the project, I'm not bothered. Multiplayer isn't really my thing.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Fdzzaigl said:
Shadow realms sort of looked like a mess to be honest, so I'm not too sad to see it go. Though we'll never know how good it could have been now of course.

I'm happy to hear they're gonna be working more with SW:TOR, it's still my go-to mmo and it's improved quite a lot over the years. Yes naysayers, it actually has a thriving community.

Recently they were slow with updates and bugfixes though, with the exploits in the new raids and all...
Right now, after completing DA Inquisition I'm hoping that they are planning on addressing all the bugs and crashes that have been happening over the last few weeks. On the PS4 version I've had floating lootable goods in the Wastes to the point of being impossible to loot, multiple times where the controls would lock up due to a failed cutscene transition, an impossible to complete quest due to judging the npc key to the quest (instead of just getting rid of the quest entirely from the log when that happens), and even two crashes on the final boss fight. How did this game win GOTY?