BioWare Cancels Shadow Realms RPG Development

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Jupiter065 said:
Bioware, just make an RPG in the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra universe already. It'd fit your game style like a hand in a glove.
Bioware has already done Jade Empire. They'd probably be better off letting some other developer do it...if they can somehow wrangle a licence for the IP.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Yay! This sounded completely uninteresting. More SWTOR and Mass Effect is great news.

For me anyway. :p

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
kael013 said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Sure it may have crashed and burned, but in making it and getting feedback on it, BioWare would have learned new mechanics, etc. that they could have used to spice up their other games and avoid what I like to call the "CoD syndrome" (more of the same with a cool new feature).
I must say, you have a very optimistic view of EA, if you think new IP crashing and burning would in any way had lead to happy ending. After that the next time we would have seen new IP from bioware would probably have been somewhere in the next century.

OT: Never had any taste for any kind of multiplayer with RPGs, so I wont shed single tear for this. Really lost interest second I heard it was Co-op, and only now remembered it existed. Maybe it would have been fun for others, but community response seemed to mostly be a resounding "meh".

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Sounds good to me, now I dont need to pay attention to BioWare announcements. I dont care for any of the franchises they are focusing on.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
Still, I wish they would stop working on SW:TOR already. I find it hard to believe that their MMO pet project is making them any money, and its brand of F2P has driven me away. You shouldn't hamstring free players who are simply trying to play through the story with XP penalties you have to pay to remove.
I find playing the game as F2P more enjoyable actually. The bonus XP for subs is ridicioulus. For players who want to get into the endgame as quickly as possible (and stay there), sub is more usefull ofc. But if you are there to level some characters to enjoy the storylines and places, F2P is the better experience IMO.
As a sub, I could skip multiple planets because I was so overleveled. Yes I still can do all those quests, but fighting enemies 10 or more levels behind is not fun IMO. Leveling a character after my sub ended was the best experience I had with this game. Though I had preferred status and bought a few things like extra UI bars in the cartel market, so it was not completely free. But that's still cheaper than subbing and for this much content, I don't complain about a few one-time buys. The F2P change was a real boon for me, and I am not the only one who plays the game that way. To each their own, I guess.

captcha: science. it works.
No shit.

OverEZ

Nov 12, 2011
Seeing how they handled Star Wars: The Old Republic this might have been for the best. EA can't keep their greed away from anything they produce anymore. If this would have been a free-to-play game you could have fully expected character costumes to sell for $15 or more. EA, in my eyes, cannot be trusted and for good reason. They have no one to blame for themselves for the waves of apathy coming their way. Can't feel bad for BioWare either after buying Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. The quality of product was the first thing to go when they hitched themselves to EA.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009

I've had sneezes which lasted longer than this game. Anyway, I can only muster a general 'meh'. 4v1 games are coming out a lot lately, and Bioware's had a bit of a 'me too' feel about it.

On the other hand, if someone wants to make a standalone version of 'Dark Deeds' from Warcraft 3's map community, take my money already.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I like many saw that trailer/teaser and had my interest in the game. Shame to see it go. But if it means they pump out some other quality games, I won't be too sad. Chances are it might surface later. Or parts of it might be used in other projects.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Gxas said:
"We're abandoning our new IP to churn out more sequels."

And the community, oddly, is ok with this? I'll never understand the current state of gaming, I guess.
I'm around 90% this and 10% 5 player game? screw that, we're better off without it!

Uncancel it and retool as a single player RPG and i'll want it more

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I see a lot of people saying there are so many asymmetrical multiplayer games, but besides Evolve, what all asymmetrical multiplayer (4v1 to be more specific) games are coming out, because I've missed them.

OT: oh, I was actually kind of excited. Whatever then Bioware. Why, pray tell, couldn't these people have been free resources to improve, say, DA:I lackluster combat or disappointing ending?