BioWare Can't Patch Unreadable Text for Non-HD TVs in Mass Effect 2

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
ItsAPaul said:
Why do people buy bioware games on consoles? I'll never understand their logic.
Because I like Console controls for a third person shooter. Figure that one out, someone with a different opinion.

On topic, ya I noticed that and put it in my Mass Effect 2 review. However since I'm getting an HDTV today, it shouldn't be a problem for me anymore

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
KSarty said:
factualsquirrel said:
Greg Tito said:
However, we have taken note of this issue and will take it into consideration as we plan future games in the Mass Effect franchise.I think that the "s" in that sentence is the most important, it means they're considering more after ME3.

Just sayin'
They already announced there would be more games in the Mass Effect universe after ME3.
They did?

Ah well, doesn't matter then.

I got pissed at the first one, so I haven't bought the second one yet.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Could it be that i has to do with the faxt there there must be quite a mass of text in thousands menulayers inside of Mass Effect?

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
As a programmer, I can quite safely say their excuse, or lack thereof, is bullshit. They just don't care.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
I noticed this kind of stuff when I first purchased my Xbox 360 in fall of 2006. I didn't have a HDTV at the time, so I was using my pc monitor often. In early 2007, I broke down and bought a HDTV, so all is good. But honestly, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are advertised as HD gaming consoles. So people should be happy that any games will work on a SDTV. Have you ever used a SDTV for a pc monitor?

If you can't afford even a small HDTV, then find a used vga cable and use your pc monitor. You can find a used 19" widescreen monitor on craigslist for less than $100 now. So, there's no excuse not to play your Xbox 360 in widescreen HD.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
they probably did not fix it because it is such a hard thing to fix in a patch for such a small group of people, they probably didnt think that it was worth the manpower

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
ItsAPaul said:
Why do people buy bioware games on consoles? I'll never understand their logic.
Cause Bioware is fucking amazing and people will buy it for any console/ PC.

I was a little disappointed in that. I could barely read the damned thing and that's with me reading glasses.

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Couldn't they have just, you know, given an option to make the text bigger?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I guess I could let this one slide, but then they may have their next headline saying "we can't fix the glitch where you start falling up because you stepped on a corner - it is part of the cover system." - or "we can't fix the glitch where when you click and drag a power to your quickbar, SOMETIMES you will crash...It was part of the new interface design!"

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Yeah so? I'll just turn my TV up a bit for voice dialog and I managed through the first one with SDTV, so, unless its like, Dead Rising small, I won't have a problem. I'll learn later today, as I get it today.

YAAAAAAAAAYY

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
This just seems like an easy fix to me. I don't see why they don't fix it.

Too be honest, it's worth a grand to pick up a High-Def Tv. Save up your money and get one. Or just pay around 400 dollars for a 30 inch.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
The worst is the lack of effort to fix this.
If they wanted to fix it they COULD, no doubt about that!
Um... and you know this... how?

I'm no expert on programming, but I'm fairly certain that fixing this problem is a hell of a lot more complicated than simply going in and bumping up the font size a few notches. It's not that simple. Just sayin'.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sucks with those with the standard...Shame bioware can't fix it ><

so glad I invested in A HD TV now

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Is this news? Try playing Gears of War on an SDTV, it's freakin' impossible. "Press BLURB to run" Huh? What's that text say? *Leans in closer*

Also, the subtitles in Assassins Creed 2 are quite horrible to read.

ww2jacob

Mar 21, 2008
I've been playing ME2 on a 22" SDTV and yes, the smallest text is very difficult to make out. It doesn't make the game unplayable by any means, and I can still figure out what it says if I squint hard enough, lol. I think if anything it's made me seriously consider buying a small HDTV, since I understand that more and more games are being optimized for them on consoles these days.

Feb 4, 2010
This is a problem for many current gen games. I couldn't play Star Ocean 4 because the text was microscopic on my TV. In retrospect, that probably saved me from wasting over 40 hours of my time, but the fact remains that it's annoying in good games that have the problem.

My bet is it has to do with system architecture. Sony and Microsoft probably could have prevented this by giving users a standard vs. HD option in the system settings menu. If developers could do something about this they probably would have by now unless they get so few complaints that there's no reason to do so. That seems unlikely considering the article I'm posting under.