BioWare Co-Founder: RPGs Are Becoming "Less Relevant"

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
This is surely one of the crown jewel within the Escapist's enormous treasury of misleading titles. Again, can we please get actual gaming news without incredibly obvious attempts at creating uninformed controversy?

The man said that the strict RPG genre was dying, which is undeniably true. RPG elements are being incorporated into more and more games and we're seeing almost all of the core elements of the genre showing up all over the place, but they're not all wrapped up in an isometric third-person turn-based fantasy game. This is probably a good thing - you only find a creative take on the isometric third-person turn-based fantasy game so often. And it's not like Bioware is turning on its fans or anything - they've been working primarily on genre-blending games for quite a while now.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009

This will end well.

Yeah, I'm just going to find somewhere nice and quiet to hide from the fallout of this. As if there wasn't enough fuel on that fire to begin with, just add a huge tank of gas to it. Really, if I were in this guy's position, I wouldn't even mention the word RPG, since we know from experience that's the ticket to starting a flame war these days.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
No, oh god, Bioware, don't say that.
You'll make me sad.

It's reasons like that that make it so hard to find a game I'll love nowadays on a current system.

People love them for being RPG makers. They sold out DA:O. What does he mean they're less relevant?