BioWare Considers Free-to-Play For The Old Republic

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
As much as I enjoy SWTOR and continue to play it, the whole MMO genre is getting tiresome. I can't even find enjoyment from WoW anymore, and this is coming from someone who has played the same character on the same server since the original release day.

Monthly subs in general really need to go, or at least reduce the cost.
Maybe you should give Guild Wars 2 a look at.
Guild Wars 2 is going to do what more MMO's need to do, no subscription but a micro transaction store that isn't pay to win and the ability to gain all the MT benefits by playing the game and not spending a cent.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
INF1NIT3 D00M said:
I liked this game, but after paying 70-something dollars for the special edition, I wasn't in any position to pay 15 bucks a month to play the game. I'd be down for it if that month of playtime only counted while I was playing. As it stands, I played the game for about two weeks out of the free month I got before I decided I'd rather play something else, and the other two weeks went unused. I'll play this game to death if it goes free-to-play, and I may even be able to join up with some buddies who are interested but have no disposable income to speak of.

Here's hoping.
See, I really don't get people like you. You spent MORE money on the special edition only to stop playing two weeks into it. I find that idiotic on a spectacular level.

As for the F2P thing... I doubt it's happening soon, but I've been wrong before. This is coming out before they're even starting the F2P up to lvl 15 in July, so yeah... don't expect anything serious concerning F2P for a while.

They're already doing something that really helps matters, and starting free server transfers. This week friends of mine actually had to wait in queue briefly to get onto Ebon Hawk server, so I'd call that a good sign. Seems to me they're gonna try condensing the subscriber base, then get more to show up through the free prologue.

I have no issues with this game, as I'm not someone who played WoW, or plays MMOs like a second job. My highest character I think is 40 right now. Seriously, don't expect anything more drastic from EA or Bioware until the first expansion at the end of the year.

Kerboom

May 3, 2012
Only 5 hours after a member already posted about it.

The news team is getting quicker.

OT: Shrug. I might give it a go if it ever goes F2P, but it's still unlikely.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
banksy122 said:
Guild Wars 2 is going to do what more MMO's need to do, no subscription but a micro transaction store that isn't pay to win and the ability to gain all the MT benefits by playing the game and not spending a cent.
As long as the game doesn't force me to pay for content, I'm good. The only thing a cash shop should charge for is vanity type things.

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
banksy122 said:
As long as the game doesn't force me to pay for content, I'm good. The only thing a cash shop should charge for is vanity type things.
It is all cosmetic stuff or account stuff such as extra character slots or re-customisation. There is also some boosts such as XP, etc but to no real benefit and you can get it in game and you can buy gems with real money, and then trade gems with in-game gold, but it is player driven, and allows you to get gems without paying real money, and high end weapons/armour is bought with another in-game currency which you can only game from playing the game.

So it isn't exactly -just- vanity type things, but you don't have to spend money on any of it to gain it.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
The main reason The Old Republic is failing to meet expectations is the same reason nearly every other big-name MMO released since WoW has failed to meet expectations, or even survive in some cases.

You can't beat WoW by trying to out-WoW it. World of Warcraft just has such a massive lead, in both subscriber base and developer experience at this point that trying to do what it's done "but better" is just not that viable. It's just like how trying to beat Call of Duty or Gears of War by doing the exact same thing "but better" just isn't going to work. You gotta bring something unique to the table, or people are generally going to stick with the more polished, more popular game.

That's why I've stuck with EVE Online myself. For all of it's flaws, and occaisional annoyances, it has legitimately tried to do its own thing, and not conform to the common rules and norms of nearly every other MMO out there. It doesn't have millions upon millions of subscribers, sure, but the player-base is generally passionate and the devs work closely with their players to provide regular patches and the twice-yearly free expansions.

You gotta try to bring something new to the table these days. That's why, as much as a truly dislike the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO, I have to at least give The Elder Scrolls Online some credit for seeming to try something a bit different with their PVP Imperial City conquest thing. Hopefully they'll roll with that, and other elements and not just try to be WoW re-skinned as The Elder Scrolls.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
draythefingerless said:
The WoW subscriptions will most likely slowly leak into one of these 3 overtime, and the tiranny of WoW over the market is on its twilight.
Much as I enjoy your optimism, I highly doubt this would be the case.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
I think I'd be more inclined to play subscription games if there wasn't the big initial fee to register,
pay $45 to buy the game is just such a huge investment that it really puts me off trying out newer MMOs,
If I could simply make an account, download the game and pay a $15 per month (or w'eva) sub fee I could find out whether it appeals to me or not without sinking $60 if I didn't like it.

Obviously the game makers like the big one off cash payment on release as I'd imagine many are scraping the bottom of the financial barrel by the time an MMO's released.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Waaghpowa said:
As much as I enjoy SWTOR and continue to play it, the whole MMO genre is getting tiresome. I can't even find enjoyment from WoW anymore, and this is coming from someone who has played the same character on the same server since the original release day.

Monthly subs in general really need to go, or at least reduce the cost.
I have yet to find one game that does "Free-To-Play" right. It always ends up as "Free-To-Pay" instead. Even LOTRO or D&D didn't do it right. I don't want to pay to get the good stuff, or have to pay to unlock certain areas. I want to pay a set amount each month for EVERYTHING. Not have content stripped away to have to pay for.
Take a look at the games from Perfect World Entertainment. Pretty much everything is availible to you even if you don't want to give into micro-transactions, you just have to work a little harder on the game to get it. The only things that aren't are total vanity items like a new outfit or mount, nothing game changing or anything that'd give you an advantage over other players.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Serious question: why does anyone care what Bioware says anymore?

They've had basically this to say since ME3:

"We're not horrible, and we're not greedy, and we're not ignoring you. And we're especially not just saying whatever EA tells us to as they quietly shut down our studio."

And lo and behold where have we arrived? Their BS MMO's going belly up (like everyone predicted), ME3 became a byword for false promises and anticipation for the next Dragon Age title is at an all time low.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I have a feeling this will be successful. All they need is idiots like me. I have spend over $80 on tf2

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
rcs619 said:
The main reason The Old Republic is failing to meet expectations is the same reason nearly every other big-name MMO released since WoW has failed to meet expectations, or even survive in some cases.

You can't beat WoW by trying to out-WoW it. World of Warcraft just has such a massive lead, in both subscriber base and developer experience at this point that trying to do what it's done "but better" is just not that viable. It's just like how trying to beat Call of Duty or Gears of War by doing the exact same thing "but better" just isn't going to work. You gotta bring something unique to the table, or people are generally going to stick with the more polished, more popular game.

That's why I've stuck with EVE Online myself. For all of it's flaws, and occaisional annoyances, it has legitimately tried to do its own thing, and not conform to the common rules and norms of nearly every other MMO out there. It doesn't have millions upon millions of subscribers, sure, but the player-base is generally passionate and the devs work closely with their players to provide regular patches and the twice-yearly free expansions.

You gotta try to bring something new to the table these days. That's why, as much as a truly dislike the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO, I have to at least give The Elder Scrolls Online some credit for seeming to try something a bit different with their PVP Imperial City conquest thing. Hopefully they'll roll with that, and other elements and not just try to be WoW re-skinned as The Elder Scrolls.
Yeah EVE is the only MMO I'm willing to pay for because of the nice free expansions twice yearly, that and fact that all the "end game content" is pretty much just players throwing around vast amounts of resources and people to basically just screw with other players. EVE's PVP ranges from random fights that take place even when you really don't want to fight to all out war that requires logistics and planning normally only seen in actual wars.

Fly Safe

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
kajinking said:
rcs619 said:

Yeah EVE is the only MMO I'm willing to pay for because of the nice free expansions twice yearly, that and fact that all the "end game content" is pretty much just players throwing around vast amounts of resources and people to basically just screw with other players. EVE's PVP ranges from random fights that take place even when you really don't want to fight to all out war that requires logistics and planning normally only seen in actual wars.

Fly Safe
I liked the idea behind EVE, but the gameplay just bored me to death. Not really being able to fly your ship made me sad, and watching it orbit objects for hours just didn't appeal to me

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Free to play? Hell & YEAH! Wait, that's not a MMORPG's death sentance, is it? And is Age of Conan really still running? I admit, I didn't read everyone's comments.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Wow what a surprise you mean that a WoW clone isn't going to cut it in this day and age seriously how much money did they spend on this thing but as usual EA probably had a deadline so that their stocks could be safe.
The days of MMO's that don't have some form of F2P are limited.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
It's too late. Even if the game went free to play, it was still developed as a pay to play game. Meaning it will have all the elements that make pay to play games a ungodly treadmill grind.

Guild Wars 2 on the other hand is being built from the ground up as buy and play, making the game mechanics totally different. Like how leveling speed caps out, or how everyone gets loot from killing a boss monster.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
PercyBoleyn said:
JaceArveduin said:
I liked the idea behind EVE, but the gameplay just bored me to death. Not really being able to fly your ship made me sad, and watching it orbit objects for hours just didn't appeal to me
Eve is generally a very slow experience. It's an exciting game to read about that's for sure though.
Yeah, I noticed XD Friend got me some free time on it, and I was thinking "Well this seems fun from what I've heard." Then I played it and realized I have very little freedom when it comes to movement.
Darth_Payn said:
Free to play? Hell & YEAH! Wait, that's not a MMORPG's death sentance, is it? And is Age of Conan really still running? I admit, I didn't read everyone's comments.
No, LotRO's running stronger than ever with the F2P model.
Shadows of Angmar, April 24, 2007
Mines of Moria, November 18, 2008
Siege of Mirkwood, December 1, 2009
Free to Play, September 10, 2010
Rise of Isengard, September 27, 2011
Riders of Rohan September 5, 2012
It might have been the work they did with F2P, but RoI wasn't announced until after the burst they got from going free to play. Now all that's left is to speculate on how they handle it *shrug*