BioWare Crowned Champion of March Mayhem 2015

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Strazdas said:
BiH-Kira said:
It's not like actually need people to tell me that gaming is dying. I knew that without this poll. But eh, congratz I guess. A huge step backwards.
Gaming is dieing because the company with actual gamesplay has won.... sorry, does not compute.
Shit tier gameplay and awful story and character writing, bad animation. And the models... oh the models... it's like they are made out of butter that started melting.
Almost every other company in the poll had better gameplay than Bioware.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
IceForce said:
s0osleepie said:
And a huge congratulations to the top ten March Mayhem 2015 predictors:
Wasn't it supposed to be the top twenty?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/prizes/21/

"Once the voting has ended and a victor has been crowned, 20 lucky winners will receive a full year of Publisher's Club"

I mean, not that it affects me. I'm not in the top ten OR twenty, but still... false advertising.
Yes, top twenty will receive a full year of Publisher's Club. I was simply calling out the top ten in the post as noteworthy entrants since the list gets kind of long and you can easily see everyone on the leaderboard.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed that Telltale lost, or that Bioware won.

The real takeaway from this though was that participation in March Madness has tanked to all time lows. I was worried about the massive amount of flame wars that usually crop up because of this event. This year? Nada. Zip. The worst I saw was that one dude who kept cryin about how Telltale doesn't make games.

Hell, just look at that last vote count. 621 votes total for the finals in March Mayhem. The highest vote tally we had was Ubisoft vs Telltale and that was only 800ish votes. From there voting went off a cliff to 500 then to 400 for round 3.

For an event that usually brought in thousands of votes (I remember the Papers Please one and the Minecraft one takin in the range of 10000), that's pretty sad.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Xman490 said:
Clementine, Kenny, Snow White, Toad, and all those wacky Borderlands characters are all disappointed in you.
So is the The Emerald Herals, The Chosen Undeads, The crestfallen, The merchents, Grynn, Seath The Scaleless, The Queens and Manus; Father of the Abyss.

*Grumbles something about From never getting the love they deserve*

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Hahaha, look at all the disappointment. The passion is still there, which is good.

shintakie10 said:
Hell, just look at that last vote count. 621 votes total for the finals in March Mayhem. The highest vote tally we had was Ubisoft vs Telltale and that was only 800ish votes. From there voting went off a cliff to 500 then to 400 for round 3.

For an event that usually brought in thousands of votes (I remember the Papers Please one and the Minecraft one takin in the range of 10000), that's pretty sad.
I remember it got up that high because many chipped in from other popular websites. I just can't remember which ones they were. I think one was Reddit.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Yeah, I stopped voting and totally lost faith when the description for Nintendo EAD listed Just Dance as an important title but completely omitted Mario Kart 8 which was made by Nintendo EAD's main team in the same year Just Dance was.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Lunar Templar said:

yay ... they won ... that's just, wonderful ... In that 'not really/just lost some faith in these forums' kind a way
Ha-ha-ha! That implies that you actually had faith in these forums to begin with!

Lets face it, these GotY and Developer Wars polls exist purely to start flame-wars.

To slightly alter an Avengers quote: "I mean what are we, a community? No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that creates chaos. We're...We're a time bomb."

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
It's not like actually need people to tell me that gaming is dying. I knew that without this poll. But eh, congratz I guess. A huge step backwards.
How does Bioware winning mean gaming is dying? March Mayhem is meant to be a fun thing that helps bring traffic to the site. I wouldn't say it's a step in any direction. Bioware winning doesn't really effect anything.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Bat Vader said:
BiH-Kira said:
How does Bioware winning mean gaming is dying? March Mayhem is meant to be a fun thing that helps bring traffic to the site. I wouldn't say it's a step in any direction. Bioware winning doesn't really effect anything.
I don't know... maybe because it's a clear indicator that people want shitty gameplay with awful writing as long as it has a good marketing rather than good games but hey... what do I know. Clearly DA:I was better than any games released last year and not a cheap buggy cash in with butter people.

The award means nothing, but the votes mean a lot. They show what people value in gaming. They show that people fucked up their choice in a hobby and instead of picking books, they picked an interactive medium but don't want the interactive side to be good.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm honestly dissapointed.

Jandau said:
So, all it takes to propel Bioware to victory is to put out one game that isn't a disappointment? Wow, way to set the bar low...
Yeah, this sums up my thoughts about this really well.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Bat Vader said:
BiH-Kira said:
I don't know... maybe because it's a clear indicator that people want shitty gameplay with awful writing as long as it has a good marketing rather than good games but hey... what do I know. Clearly DA:I was better than any games released last year and not a cheap buggy cash in with butter people.

The award means nothing, but the votes mean a lot. They show what people value in gaming. They show that people fucked up their choice in a hobby and instead of picking books, they picked an interactive medium but don't want the interactive side to be good.
Except gameplay and writing are subjective. What someone thinks is crappy gameplay someone else might enjoy. I preferred the gameplay in Origins but other people preferred the gameplay in DA 2 and DA:I. The same applies to the writing too. What someone thinks is terrible writing someone else may see as great writing. Many people including myself enjoy DA:I. It's one of my favorite games.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
If I may interject simply to point something out: while when TWD was just getting released, I heard pretty much everyone singing the praises of TellTale and it's fantastic story-telling. Now, though, I've been hearing numerous voices of dissent, suggesting that TT games are indeed all the same and that - much like Bioware - they only give the illusion of meaningful choice.

Full disclosure: I've never played a TT game so I can't speak from personal experience, as such take what I say at whatever value you feel like. But from what I've heard, there really is minimal actual gameplay to their games...so I think it might be a bit pot'n'kettle to be bashing Bioware's "terrible interactive side" when TT has very little "interactive side" to begin with. That said, I'd imagine Bioware defenders would accuse TT fans of being people "who fucked up their choice in a hobby and instead of picking books, they picked an interactive medium"

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Lunar Templar said:

yay ... they won ... that's just, wonderful ... In that 'not really/just lost some faith in these forums' kind a way
Ha-ha-ha! That implies that you actually had faith in these forums to begin with!

Lets face it, these GotY and Developer Wars polls exist purely to start flame-wars.

To slightly alter an Avengers quote: "I mean what are we, a community? No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that creates chaos. We're...We're a time bomb."
Alright, ya got me ...

I lost my faith in these forums a long time ago, and really only stick around cause of a handful of people and the RP section.

They could stop disappointing me, in some way or another, damn near daily though, I'd be ok with that.

and yeah, this thing pretty much is just to stir the pot, and given the usual winners, I'm starting to think its rigged to make it worse. Nice Banner quote to, very fitting.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Bat Vader said:
BiH-Kira said:
A lot of people also seem to forget that this exact same thing happens with every single March Madness or GOTY thing. Honestly, it's a bit amusing how consistently these events bring out all of the doom and gloom posts.

You'd think after being here for a few years they would have cottoned on to the pattern by now.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Yeah, I gave up post-second round when my bracket got really fucked up.

I'm going to go live in my own fantasy world where From Software automatically won the entire competition in the first round.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Those avatars.. it's beautiful X'D

Tech team, don't ever change.

(Sorry should I be OT and salty about the winners?)

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Voted for BioWare because I don't care about TellTale games.
I also really enjoyed their "new" DLC approach? at least for DA:I. Day 1 nothing... and then later an actual DLC containing several hours of main game quality gameplay. That?s how it should always be.

I almost joined in the discussion at the poll but one of the post there linked a video to the "riding the bull" scene to illustrate bad writing... I gave up on that discussion right away. Now I can even gloat a little bit over the people not able to enjoy a little bit of humor.
If you want to illustrate bad writing by BioWare link to the starchild and not iron bull or hawk for that matter her/his lines crank me up. Glorious!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I'm disappointed that Telltale didn't end up with the crown after a great run, but at-least Bioware finally got a win, after four runner-ups they deserved one. Also, liking the avatars :p