BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
Personally I'm glad about this. You buy the CE you get the shiney toy Prothean. You pay extra you get extra. You don't pay you don't fucking get it.

Now Bioware has actually done a good thing and made it availible day 1. So you pony up the extra fucking 10 dollars and add it to your 60 dollar game and you pay about the same as a CE and you get ALL the goodies anyways.

SO are people mostly pissed off they have to do an extra step?

I don't know if it's lazy or self entitlement or both :p

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
anthony87 said:
To be fair though, I don't exactly have any evidence regarding what I say either. I'm just operating under the assumption that they're not gonna work on the game including the Prothean as long as they did only to remove it from the main game this close to launch.
Ah, you see, you're being reasonable about it. Some people might not like it. Here's your problem.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
cpt blackamar said:
I am against the day 1 dlc practice, but I do find it a lot harder to argue given the points they made. I'm going to reserve my opinion until after I have the game, play through it, and then play through it with the dlc installed. If it really does add just a couple of skins, and a minimalism character who was there before, I'd be ok with it. If it's that this prothean doesn't appear at all before dlc, and is a pretty important character to the plot (like garrus and tali have always been) then that is pretty despicable. Here's hoping he's just a zaeed.
I'm guessing that it'll be more like Liara in Mass Effect 2. She's still in the main game, still affects the story and the DLC adds her as a squadmate for couple of missions.

But hey, it's all speculation until it comes out.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
poiuppx said:
cpt blackamar said:
poiuppx said:
Zeel's fervor over this has affected the mind of at least one consumer; I now want to buy the game and the DLC. Make of that what you will.
One might say Zeel was overzeelous.

I'm a terrible person for saying that
For what it's worth? I laughed.
Well at least I don't feel too bad for saying it now

Dec 14, 2009
anthony87 said:
FelixG said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Macrobstar said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?
What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.
They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"
Thats what wrong with it.

They are right about one thing. They got our attention
THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!
Has there been official confirmation of this? Cause all i've heard are scripts. Which to me is stupid, because of course the lines of a day one dlc will be in the script
The lines of the DLC couldn't be in the script because production on the DLC hadn't begun until after ME3 was completed.
So basically you have no idea how the prothean interacts in the game. The only thing we know (and not absolutely) is that The prothean squadmate was an idea from early november. That was removed because they wanted to squeeze more money out of guillable fans.

I've asked time and time again for confirmation on relevant dialogue and no one has given me evidence. If you are willing to shout "OMG PROTHEAN STILL IN DA GAME" I WANT TO SEE PROOF OF THAT.
Or shall I put it like this

SHOW
ME
THE
EVIDENCE
I would like to see your evidence that the content was cut out of the game instead of developed after like they said?

If you have no hard evidence you are just a liar and QQing for the sake of making a stink, as from what I can tell your entire argument is based around "WAHHHH I HATE BIOWARE SO THEY MUST BE EVIL AND STEALIN OUR CONTENT!"
To be fair though, I don't exactly have any evidence regarding what I say either. I'm just operating under the assumption that they're not gonna work on the game including the Prothean as long as they did only to remove it from the main game this close to launch.
Where I come from, people making the accusations are the people who have the burden of proof, Zeel has yet to provide any. It doesn't matter if you lack evidence, it's not you that has to prove anything unless evidence is offered to the contrary.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
No. No. No.

No no no no no no no. No no. No no no. No.

No.

If you are 'content complete', and you are still creating content, then you are not 'content complete'. You are spitting out marketing bullshit to try and preserve your reputation with your fans. You have to bug test the DLC before releasing it as well.

This isn't even Project Ten Dollar: It's worse. This is Project Twenty Dollar. This isn't even something that everyone who buys the game new gets. This is something that people who buy the collectors editions get. This is a new, and fantastic, level of bullshit from a company that has already firmly established itself as the leading innovator in bullshit in the modern video games industry. I am stunned.

To be fair, Origin already sealed the deal for me on Mass Effect 3. This does it for the entire franchise: all of it, gone. It is dead to me. Future Origin-free Steam release? No buy. On sale for $5? No buy. iOS game for $1? No buy. Novels, comics, resin figures, art books? No buy. This is the line in the sand. This is a simply unacceptable level of bullshit.

Nemo____

Feb 3, 2011
Dear Bioware. I bought a full price pre-release of Skyrim. Probably would have done the same for ME3. Pretending that cut content is "EXTRA". I'm not that stupid.

The pirate version will include all the DLC for one the low price of what I already pay for my internet connection. You tried to screw me so I will return the favour.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Macrobstar said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?
What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.
They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"

THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!
Has there been official confirmation of this? Cause all i've heard are scripts. Which to me is stupid, because of course the lines of a day one dlc will be in the script
The lines of the DLC couldn't be in the script because production on the DLC hadn't begun until after ME3 was completed.
So basically you have no idea how the prothean interacts in the game. The only thing we know (and not absolutely) is that The prothean squadmate was an idea from early november. That was removed because they wanted to squeeze more money out of guillable fans.

I've asked time and time again for confirmation on relevant dialogue and no one has given me evidence. If you are willing to shout "OMG PROTHEAN STILL IN DA GAME" I WANT TO SEE PROOF OF THAT.

SHOW
ME
THE
EVIDENCE
Haven't got any. Unfortunately all I've got is speculation until I've got the game. Call it a knee-jerk reaction if you will.

Do you have any evidence that the Prothean HAS in fact been removed from the main game?

Hell, maybe we're both wrong and there's more than one Prothean....which wouldn't surprise me to be honest.
Maybe. the Description suggests the character is something you have to buy. Plus, EA games has done this before.

Either way, if you don't have evidence about your claim please stop saying it. You're adding dishonesty to the argument.
Very well. My apologies.

............So?

Where's your evidence?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Nemo____ said:
Dear Bioware. I bought a full price pre-release of Skyrim. Probably would have done the same for ME3. Pretending that cut content is "EXTRA". I'm not that stupid.

The pirate version will include all the DLC for one the low price of what I already pay for my internet connection. You tried to screw me so I will return the favour.
Oh you're trying to justify your blatant theft?

How cute.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Macrobstar said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:

THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!

SHOW
ME
THE
EVIDENCE
Haven't got any. Unfortunately all I've got is speculation until I've got the game. Call it a knee-jerk reaction if you will.

Do you have any evidence that the Prothean HAS in fact been removed from the main game?

Hell, maybe we're both wrong and there's more than one Prothean....which wouldn't surprise me to be honest.
Maybe. the Description suggests the character is something you have to buy. Plus, EA games has done this before.

Either way, if you don't have evidence about your claim please stop saying it. You're adding dishonesty to the argument.
Very well. My apologies.

............So?

Where's your evidence?
Specify. Which claims do you want evidence of.
That they've removed the Prothean from the main game only to include it as DLC in order to milk more money out of people.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
cpt blackamar said:
I am against the day 1 dlc practice, but I do find it a lot harder to argue given the points they made. I'm going to reserve my opinion until after I have the game, play through it, and then play through it with the dlc installed. If it really does add just a couple of skins, and a minimalism character who was there before, I'd be ok with it. If it's that this prothean doesn't appear at all before dlc, and is a pretty important character to the plot (like garrus and tali have always been) then that is pretty despicable. Here's hoping he's just a zaeed.

But if it is just as you feared then they just suckered you out of either money or the gaming experience. The whole point is to stamp it out so the next game doesn't have it worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM

Also who has watched this?

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
You know what bothers me the most out of all this?

The fact that there's Pothean in the game to begin with. It just sounds like Bioware pulled this out of their ass. It seems cheap.

On the OT, I've already decided not to get this, and this just kind of confirms that I don't want to spend my money on this. Bioware has done a marvelous job at fucking with the lore and story, so I'm not gonna pay for it. I might borrow off my brother when he's done with it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
anthony87 said:
That they've removed the Prothean from the main game only to include it as DLC in order to milk more money out of people.
I can provide evidence that THEY didn't.

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/q2sl2/i_am_jessica_merizan_community_manager_for/?sort=hot
[?]jessicamerizan 221 points 6 hours ago

I think there's a lot of misinformation out there and I wish the guy who made the initial video about it would have had an open mind before jumping to conclusions based on a leak we weren't ready to address. Since I'm a BioWare employee, I know people won't automatically trust me, but I hope people will consider that it wasn't cut content from the larger game. I was in Edmonton when we were finishing the game in November/December and I was in Edmonton again last month when they were working on the Day 1 DLC. It definitely was only possible to do because the main game was in certification (which means we had to wait for people to test it and make sure everything was good etc before we could get the greenlight to sell it). I also played the game WITHOUT the DLC in my first playthrough and honestly, it's an awesome addition but I was more than happy with what I was given in the game. It's bigger and more expansive than ever. Of course, I understand the concern but I hope we can all have an intelligent conversation about it and cover what the facts are in this situation.

Hope that helps a little bit. This is an awkward format to answer this question, but I know I could explain it if you were sitting next to me on a couch with some coffee/tea ;)

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
anthony87 said:
cpt blackamar said:
I'm guessing that it'll be more like Liara in Mass Effect 2. She's still in the main game, still affects the story and the DLC adds her as a squadmate for couple of missions.

But hey, it's all speculation until it comes out.
If it was, then it muddies the water a little further. Liaras quest actually affected the dynamics of the ME universe by quite a bit, and while it wasn't essential to the story of shepard, it was a pretty dam important story-thread. I was ok with that as dlc because the clearly spent a lot of time and effort on it, and it was kind of their swansong for ME2. Now if that had been released on day 1 for ME2, I would have been pissed because it's more than adding a little extra for those who went for collectors edition, it's a pretty hefty inclusion.

Going through it in my head, it essentially comes down to how big the dlc is.

Although doing a bit of research on it myself, biowares story doesn't fully hold face.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/7560449/1 this is a forum thread talking about the prothean squad mate. The biggest problem is it was being discussed 9 months ago. ME3 definitely wasn't in the being printed stage by then. It could be these people made a lucky guess, but I don't know, finding that makes biowares story seem a little bit harder to believe

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
can we stop with this cut content stuff unless you can give me proof its on the disc kindly move on