BioWare Did Right By Us

Dennis Scimeca

Mar 29, 2010
BioWare Did Right By Us

You don?t lose artistic integrity if you?re just trying to get your point across.

Read Full Article

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Be warned: You said something nice about EA/Bioware. Now expect a bunch of angry people to accuse you of being a whore.

At least, that would happen if you were on /v/.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
@saintdane05: Someone will definitely link this thread to /v/ now.

As for me, I don't really care. The game sucks regardless of the ending.

[sub]/smug self-satisfaction[/sub]

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
I disagree with the notion that the EC works in absolutes (ie: fixes everything/fixes nothing) - what it does is allow emotional satisfaction (by way of the character-centric epilogues) at the expense of intellectual satisfaction (because allowing the Catalyst to elaborate doesn't change how utterly dumb that entire segment is). It's still a net gain overall, though, because it makes the latter tolerable - I still hate the Starchild and everything it represents, but that's not all there is to the ending anymore.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I still haven't touched ME3 because I'm still waiting for the smoke to clear.

And because I'm afraid I will be very disappointed from all I've heard about the suckish ending. Maybe it's better to relish the memories of ME1 and 2 and pretend Sheperd died from a ruptured hemorrhoid on a particularly explosive toilet break.

Jul 22, 2009
The extended cut was better, it was far from perfect, hell it was still only passably good, but at least it didn't fill me with the same rage the original ending did.

Round of applause Bioware for taking a step in the right direction, then turn it into a sarcastic slow clap that they made a mistake of this caliber in the first place.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
All I want to know is why the hell they couldn't have done all that in the first place? IF the content of the EC had been in the game originally then there wouldn't have been the fuss that there was.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'm giving the EC ending a wavering hand. Not really quite a resounding "meh," but I certainly think there is more that should have been done. I don't think I'm alone in saying that introducing a new character - especially one that is as influential as the Catalyst - in the last 5 minutes of the game is a Bad Idea.

Now unlike some, I don't necessarily think that the Star Child needs to be taken out, especially now that he has been rewritten into a rogue AI instead of an omniscient Being. But adding some foreshadowing would be good. Even something as subtle as having the Prothean Computer refer to the Catalyst as "he" in the same discussion where it reveals that the Catalyst is the Citadel would be an improvement. Or have the Computer explain that in their search for the Catalyst, the Protheans' analysis revealed that Keeper behavior on the Citadel during their cycle indicated a higher order of reasoning than the Keepers themselves seemed capable of. Really, anything other than "O hai! I'm Zemus the Catalyst. The Reapers are my puppets, yo."

Oh, and one minor nitpick about the EC... I see that in addition to Multi-Core Shielding, we have added some serious Plot Armor to the Normandy. Or did Harbinger just decide that the ship that carries the people that have been screwing with the Reapers' plans at every turn just wasn't worth shooting at? Maybe Joker had a Red Cross painted on the hull?

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
If I remember correctly Jennifer Hale said that she didn't do any more voice acting for the extended cut, (implying that none was done at all, since her voice is used for Shepard and the Catalyst.) This would imply that all of this content was produced for the game and then cut. If so, then why?

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Oh, and one minor nitpick about the EC... I see that in addition to Multi-Core Shielding, we have added some serious Plot Armor to the Normandy. Or did Harbinger just decide that the ship that carries the people that have been screwing with the Reapers' plans at every turn just wasn't worth shooting at? Maybe Joker had a Red Cross painted on the hull?
I actually attributed that to the Normandy's stealth systems - they've said many times that the only way you could detect the ship would be if you were looking at it, and Reapers don't have "eyes"... :)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Scars Unseen said:
I actually attributed that to the Normandy's stealth systems - they've said many times that the only way you could detect the ship would be if you were looking at it, and Reapers don't have "eyes"... :)
The problem with that assumption is that the Reaper-created Collector ship could detect the Normandy just fine, even in stealth mode.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Scars Unseen said:
The problem with that assumption is that the Reaper-created Collector ship could detect the Normandy just fine, even in stealth mode.
That was the original Normandy though. Not the one from Mass Effect 2/3.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
True, but the ship wasn't piloting itself - the Collectors could have looked out any window and seen the Normandy. Reapers don't carry crew as such.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
anthony87 said:
Scars Unseen said:
Scars Unseen said:
That was the original Normandy though. Not the one from Mass Effect 2/3.
Just checked the Codex entries, and while the Normandy SR2 did receive several upgrades, an improved stealth system(which was already cutting edge) was not one of them.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
True, but the ship wasn't piloting itself - the Collectors could have looked out any window and seen the Normandy. Reapers don't carry crew as such.
You can't see a ship outside the window when it's not in visual range.

Apr 28, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
Scars Unseen said:
It's possible that the Normandy didn't have its stealth systems up when the Collector's attacked. That's the only reason I can think of, at least.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Irridium said:
Scars Unseen said:
Scars Unseen said:
It's possible that the Normandy didn't have its stealth systems up when the Collector's attacked. That's the only reason I can think of, at least.
Presley specifically says that they had stealth systems engaged.

Apr 28, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
Irridium said:
Scars Unseen said:
Scars Unseen said:
Oh. Well I don't know, then.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Irridium said:
Scars Unseen said:
Irridium said:
Scars Unseen said:
Scars Unseen said:
Oh. Well I don't know, then.
I'm fairly certain that the intended implication was that even the Normandy's bleeding edge stealth system wasn't good enough to fool Reaper technology.