Bioware forums explode as Mass Effect 3 ending details are leaked. *MINOR SPOILERS*

TehAudioSurfer

May 25, 2010
It still seems pretty stupid to me, whatever happened to that whole dark energy related subplot that was floating around in ME2?

It seemed logical and far more interesting to assume they were harvesting all sentient life in an effort limit the use of mass relay technology while adding to their numbers and collective consciousness as they tried to find a solution to the abundance of dark energy that would eventually lead to the destruction of the universe.

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
I havent looked, but I'm assuming by downer that either Shepard dies. The Love interest dies, earth is completely destroyed or the citadel is destroyed.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Thumper17 said:
I havent looked, but I'm assuming by downer that either Shepard dies. The Love interest dies, earth is completely destroyed or the citadel is destroyed.
Nope, that would be a good ending compared to this :)

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
I will wait until I actually PLAY the game to announce my opinion. Really I expected a bittersweet ending anyway, too unrealistic to have an ending with no casualties.

Besides the Reapers are huge threats and no one's been able to defeat them yet. I would've been shocked if there wasn't a giant sacrifice to stop them.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
ServebotFrank said:
Besides the Reapers are huge threats and no one's been able to defeat them yet. I would've been shocked if there wasn't a giant sacrifice to stop them.
We've been over this for the last six pages, we (generalizing but whatever) aren't saying that a sacrifice is bad. It's that the prime selling point of the series (ie. Choice) has been thrown out in favor of three endings that are the same damn thing.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
I haven't played the series, but I have played the ME2 and ME3 demos. It seems like even if I did everything right, a s*** load of people still died and many things were beyond my control. Also, isn't the tagline for ME1 "You can't save everyone." or something like that? I never got the impression this series would have a happy ending.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Jdb said:
I haven't played the series, but I have played the ME2 and ME3 demos. It seems like even if I did everything right, a s*** load of people still died and many things were beyond my control. Also, isn't the tagline for ME1 "You can't save everyone." or something like that? I never got the impression this series would have a happy ending.
I thought the tagline was "choice"

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Can anyone confirm the Rumor about Ashley being a
post op tranny

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
boag said:
post op tranny
That's just a rumor from /v/, it's about as credible as Aller's throwing out Jessie.

[sub]You might not know who Jessie is, but it is Zaeed's rifle. He tells a couple stories about it in ME2. Anyway someone on /v/ said Chobots character threw it out because Zaeed left it on the Normandy and she though it was garbage. Of course that was a lie to piss people off.[/sub]

So this Ashley thing is probably just something someone made up to goad people into ragging on the BSN.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
boag said:
post op tranny
That's just a rumor from /v/, it's about as credible as Aller's throwing out Jessie.

[sub]You might not know who Jessie is, but it is Zaeed's rifle. He tells a couple stories about it in ME2. Anyway someone on /v/ said Chobots character threw it out because Zaeed left it on the Normandy and she though it was garbage. Of course that was a lie to piss people off.[/sub]

So this Ashley thing is probably just something someone made up to goad people into ragging on the BSN.
I do know who Jessie is, I threw a shit fit when I read that, glad to know it was just a troll.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
boag said:
boag said:
post op tranny

I do know who Jessie is, I threw a shit fit when I read that, glad to know it was just a troll.
This might be a spoiler but it concerns Zaeed in ME3 and Jessie if your curious:

You can use the Shadow broker terminal Liara has to check up on people you know. It can list Zaeeds recent purchases is he's alive showing that he bought rifle parts and tools for an outdated Avenger Rifle, along with ammo and other gear. Basically implying he is going to fix Jessie and wreck some shit.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
boag said:
boag said:
post op tranny

This might be a spoiler but it concerns Zaeed in ME3 and Jessie if your curious:

You can use the Shadow broker terminal Liara has to check up on people you know. It can list Zaeeds recent purchases is he's alive showing that he bought rifle parts and tools for an outdated Avenger Rifle, along with ammo and other gear. Basically implying he is going to fix Jessie and wreck some shit.
yeah saw that on the VG thread, it was a nice surprise.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
tony2077 said:
as long as they don't take away all your hard work with a cheap plot twist i don't care. i still will stay away from it and find out for myself when i get the game
Than you will care. Pyrric victory for all and not in a good interesting way either, like a ridiculous stupid way. Oh and you better not be color blind because if you are you may need someone to tell the endings apart for you.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Having just finished the game myself... yes, the ending is pretty much as bad as everyone thinks it is. Maybe even worse.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
This must be the first trilogy where everything is superb and gets screwed up in the last five minutes.
I mean WTF happened?! Seriously?!
Who thought this was a satisfying ending to a trilogy?!
The endings are shit no matter which way you choose to look at them...
If you wanted a triumphant ending, well FUCK YOU!!
You try to look at this as a bittersweet ending: it's shit; it's shit because there's no sense of closure, and worst of all it doesn't give you the sense that you accomplished anything, and no idea of the state of the galaxy after the final battle...
There's some elements of the the final conversation with the catalyst that could actually be pretty cool, like the reapers being a way to preserve the essence of organic species; but they completly fuck it up in a way that's astounding! How the fuck do you get so much right through the whole game only to fuck it up at the end?
I suck at writing stories and I could come up with more satisfying conclusions right of the top of my head!

EX: During the final conversation with the catalyst it is revealed that the reapers are a way to preserve the essence of an organic species in a single massive being. The catalyst explains that this is necessary because when a civilization reaches it's peak, it inevitably self destructs, like what we have seen with big empires throughout ancient human history (IE the Roman empire), therefore the reapers help species that have reached a certain level of technological advancement to "ascend" to reaper form in oder to save them from self destruction. Shepard thinks that this solution shouldn't be forced on organics and that all life should self determinate, the catalyst disagrees but says that since shepard is the first organic to ever reach the crucible, the choice of what path life in the galaxy, sinthetic or organic, is his, and then the final choice is weather to control or destroy the reapers, controlling them has the benefits of revealing all the secrets of reaper tech at the cost of shepard's life, but shepard could decide that reaper tech is too advanced and galactic civilization isn't ready to use it wisely. The endings will then range from shepard and his whole crew surviving and having closure (Marrige, old age and a lot of little blue children, for me at least) or shepard and his whole team dying in the last battle, followed by a touching funearal sequence in which all your sacrifices are honored, all this depending on your effective military strenght.
Because effective military strenght does jack shit when it comes to improve how things end.

Or Shepard could wake up in a citadel room and then say: That was one freaky ass dream!
That ending is only slightly better than what they gave us.

Nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody, and I mean nobody thought this was a good ending, and I eagerly await for Bioware to either try to justify this atrocity, or admit that they fucked up royally and then offer to change the endings with DLC (IE Fallout 3).

Either way make no mistake, they FUCKING KNOW that this ending is complete horse shit.

God, I can only imagine what Yahtzee is gonna say about this. If you thought that the Deus Ex Human Revolution endings were bad, which I thought were rather appropriate personally, this is a million times worse.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
It's almost as if George Lucas somehow seized control of the writing staff's mind and said "Try and take away my dominance of sci-fi, will you!?" and proceeded to have them write an ending he'd had mulling in his head for awhile...

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
ChrisRedfield92 said:
This must be the first trilogy where everything is superb and gets screwed up in the last five minutes.
I mean WTF happened?! Seriously?!
Who thought this was a satisfying ending to a trilogy?!
The endings are shit no matter which way you choose to look at them...
If you wanted a triumphant ending, well FUCK YOU!!
You try to look at this as a bittersweet ending: it's shit; it's shit because there's no sense of closure, and worst of all it doesn't give you the sense that you accomplished anything, and no idea of the state of the galaxy after the final battle...
There's some elements of the the final conversation with the catalyst that could actually be pretty cool, like the reapers being a way to preserve the essence of organic species; but they completly fuck it up in a way that's astounding! How the fuck do you get so much right through the whole game only to fuck it up at the end?
I suck at writing stories and I could come up with more satisfying conclusions right of the top of my head!

EX: During the final conversation with the catalyst it is revealed that the reapers are a way to preserve the essence of an organic species in a single massive being. The catalyst explains that this is necessary because when a civilization reaches it's peak, it inevitably self destructs, like what we have seen with big empires throughout ancient human history (IE the Roman empire), therefore the reapers help species that have reached a certain level of technological advancement to "ascend" to reaper form in oder to save them from self destruction. Shepard thinks that this solution shouldn't be forced on organics and that all life should self determinate, the catalyst disagrees but says that since shepard is the first organic to ever reach the crucible, the choice of what path life in the galaxy, sinthetic or organic, is his, and then the final choice is weather to control or destroy the reapers, controlling them has the benefits of revealing all the secrets of reaper tech at the cost of shepard's life, but shepard could decide that reaper tech is too advanced and galactic civilization isn't ready to use it wisely. The endings will then range from shepard and his whole crew surviving and having closure (Marrige, old age and a lot of little blue children, for me at least) or shepard and his whole team dying in the last battle, followed by a touching funearal sequence in which all your sacrifices are honored, all this depending on your effective military strenght.
Because effective military strenght does jack shit when it comes to improve how things end.

Or Shepard could wake up in a citadel room and then say: That was one freaky ass dream!
That ending is only slightly better than what they gave us.

Nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody, and I mean nobody thought this was a good ending, and I eagerly await for Bioware to either try to justify this atrocity, or admit that they fucked up royally and then offer to change the endings with DLC (IE Fallout 3).

Either way make no mistake, they FUCKING KNOW that this ending is complete horse shit.

God, I can only imagine what Yahtzee is gonna say about this. If you thought that the Deus Ex Human Revolution endings were bad, which I thought were rather appropriate personally, this is a million times worse.
I remember when I got into an argument with a guy who said the endings were good, saying that "Deus Ex is a great game and the endings were great cappers to the story!"

Dumbshit didn't get that Deus Ex =/= Mass Effect.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
As I posted in another thread

"I loved the endings because they actually make sense with the story.

The Mass Relays and The Citadel were devices built by The Reapers to impose technological and social limits and force civilization down the path the Reapers chose, which is to say a dead end one.

While destroying the Mass Relays sets the galaxy back thousands of years it also free galactic civilization from never ending enslavement.

Leaving the Mass Relays would only means civilization continued to be slaves, and would stagnate one they hit the end of the Reapers path. But what is WORSE about it is that at that point they would now be willing slaves to a slave master who is no longer alive.

Post mass relay civilization now has a chance to go down the path that they choose for themselves instead of the Reapers path, the unfortunate problem is that civilization as it was, was already to far down The Reapers path to be fixed, it had to be destroyed."