BioWare Founders Consider Mass Effect MMO

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
LGC Pominator said:
Fappy said:
I will reiterate a point made on the Bioware Social Network. EA will not blow another 200 million dollars on an MMO with only a fraction of the fanbase Star Wars has.

Also, DON'T WANT!
What was the size of the warcraft franchise fanbase before WoW came out?
End of the day whether a game like that will be successful or not is largely up to the attitudes of people who don't consider themselves "gamers", and advertising generally has very little to do with it, much of it is word of mouth anyway. I reference Guild Wars in this:

3 of my friends (non gamers) were round playing split screen halo at my house, when i went off for a cuppa I brought my laptop down to do some vanquishing in guild wars, (friends by this point had set it to 2 player co op and hotswapping whenever a player died) so in turn each of them saw guild wars, and eventually one of them asked to have a go on it, we made a character, he started playing, got the others to join in, I got to go and play gears of war whilst they all went nuts on GW, and eventually one of them actually bothered to ask "what game is this and how much is it?" I gave that person the friends pass (lets you play for 14 days for free) and sent an email to the client dowload site to all 3 of them, they now all play the game (and have done for the last 4 years) and I know one of them has got his mates into it.

So that is at least 5 people all stemming from one person showing off the game (that I know about) and none of them had ever seen any advertising for it nor do they even know about sites like this where these things are discussed, so I wouldn't be too worried about initial fanbase size too much, rather making a game that is awesome enough to get friends to reccomend to each other, because Guild Wars didn't even HAVE a franchise associated with it, so that going on to become as successful as it is is nothing short of brilliant
The problem is that EA historically focuses on preexisting properties in order to project sales. If it isn't already big enough they won't bother. They don't sell games due to word-of-mouth (like many other developers do).

I am strictly speaking from EA perspective however. If I were an executive I would have put my hat in for a Mass Effect MMO over Star Wars. With Star Wars you have to factor in licensing and is more about making loads of money off of SOMEONE ELSE'S property. If you own the IP and it is a huge success, guess what, you just expanded your brand. Future projects with that IP automatically make more money.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
This would be a bad idea. Having two competing big name sci-fi RPGs would ruin their product portfolio. BioWare has to take a brave step and create a new IP. It's risky, but BioWare (and EA) will stagnate if it keeps developing nothing but sequels and MMORPGs.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Oh jolly. Another WoW reskin just like TOR. Man Bioware seems determined to run its own name into the ground after getting rectally violated bought out like a common street whore by EA.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
I would be very interested in this, but I feel like it would be a bad idea for Bioware to try and run two MMO's at once. I don't think they'd actually do it, they might throw the idea around like they are now, but I think they'd rather explore other, easier genres for now.

Insurance Salesman

Sep 15, 2009
Of course. Let's "explore the possibilites" by making something that will result in the ME universe being closed off for at least a couple years (if not more) and force a constant money drain on anyone who wants to experience that universe again.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, considering that Bioware proved they can make Mass Effect still feel like Mass Effect with multiplayer (at least, in demo form). I'm a little more concerned about this move though. Looks like I get to play the "wait and see" game some more!

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I just wish they could release a game which is not worse than it's predecessor.

Llamazoid

Mar 10, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
I'll be honest; I assumed a Mass Effect MMO was the obvious next step.
I thought the same too. However with Bioware and EA just launching the Old Republic I think it would be foolhardy to begin creating another MMO so soon. At least give the Old Republic as much resources as possible to extend it's product cycle, maybe when it's roots are strong and it has enough content look into a Mass Effect MMO until then hold back.

The.Bard said:
I... I just want to live long enough to play Mass Effect 3. And with all the wall-to-wall Bioware coverage on all these websites, I can't go a scant five minutes without thinking about how faaaaaaaaaaaaar away March 6th is!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn youuuuuuuuuu, interneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!
I just want to play Mass Effect 3 too. All this coverage is great but it's not released until the 9th in the UK. Daaamaaaaaaaaaaaaamn ittttttttttttttt aaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll!!!!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'll refrain from commenting on ToR since while I play it my reactions are mixed. I've already said everything I feel I need to say on the subject in other threads.

I find nothing inherantly wrong with the idea of an MMO set in the Mass Effect universe, but to be honest I think it would be a retread of ToR. Mass Effect was the spiritual successor to the single player KoToR games and even touted as such, and it hits a lot of the same tropes as Star Wars as a matter of design.

In the end it would be another ground based sci-fi RPG, and really I don't think we need another one of those right now. Really I'm likely to only be interested in another sci-fi MMO if it launches with both a decent space and ground based component. Star Trek Online tried that with mixed results, as did SWG, and I don't think either did it wll. Create a full featured ground and space component together, like ToR on the ground and EVE in space and I might be interested.

I'll also say that I don't much care for the linear nature of MMOs nowadays, ToR in paticular feels pretty limited. To really sell me we're going to see the return of more open enviroments and choice of progression. Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) had it's problems, but in playing ToR I can't help but feel crowded and limited compared to what the previous Star Wars RPG managed to accomplish. I mean even now I walk past, see a cool looking creature and think "damn, if this was SWG I could ride one of those".

In short the Mass Effect liscence is okay, but they'd need more than that to sell me. They would need to produce a really amazing game around it, and one that isn't simply going to do the same thing as most other MMOs with differant thematic material. I'd kind of like to see another attempt at actual hardcore, open world, MMOing, rather than the trend that is leaning towards casual oriented, cinematic experiences. I mean ToR is fun, but in the end I have to say I probably got more enjoyment collecting and placing trophies from my adventures in my houses in SWG than I did listening to some guy gargle into a microphone while subtitles explain that the alien wants me to go click on 10 cages holding captured soldiers to free them. Quests like that are fine, and belong in the open world game too, but the point is that when I compare listening to a guy gargling into a mic, to say being able to eventually ride almost any creature I see in the world (or make it fight for me) or stake my own property in an open world and decorate my house... join player cities, and have players walk past them and see what we've set up... to me it just didn't turn out being a worthwhile trade off. I guess opinions vary though.

Allow me to fly a ship RPG style like in EVE between planets, and colonize planets and build houses/habitats on them, and I'll be interested in Mass Effect. If you just want me to run from quest to quest through very little paths, jump like mario from pipe to pipe to collect datacrons, and other things with voicework being the major selling point... I'll pass, largely because I already have ToR for that.

It's unlikely though because as a liscence Mass Effect involves no real interactive space combat, or colonization or anything. It's very much a focused military universe, and in all likely the essence of the series would be people developing special forces guys from various alien races and dropping onto planets to shoot stuff.

For those who read this far, I'd imagine Mass Effect Online would probably be "Tabula Rasa 2" when you get down to it. It's a matter of opinion whether that's good or not, speaking for myself, Tabula Rasa didn't hold my attention very long.

TheProffesor

Feb 3, 2012
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not make a Mass Effect MMO. If you make it an MMO, console players won't get it, and I don't have the money to invest in a gaming PC.

The only way I would want a Mass effect MMO is if it was also available on consoles and didn't have monthly fees.

It's better to just keep releasing games.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Too soon. Still I think they could make mad bank out of fully fleshing the MP in ME3 into a TF2-experience. Having your own customized character, and running all sorts of random battle scenarios has been so much fun, I think I'll still be playing the multiplayer long after finishing the game.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
The.Bard said:
I... I just want to live long enough to play Mass Effect 3. And with all the wall-to-wall Bioware coverage on all these websites, I can't go a scant five minutes without thinking about how faaaaaaaaaaaaar away March 6th is!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn youuuuuuuuuu, interneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!
OSHI-! The.Bard is The Guardian from Ultima 7!

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Honestly, fuck you EA/Bioware for releasing a story game two days earlier in North America.

How fucking hard is it to release everything on the same freaking day?!

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Why? How would this be in any way different than SWTOR? I mean, as settings, they're incredibly similar (spaceships, aliens, quasi-magic). Bioware just made a big damn Space MMO, the market is tapped until SWTOR goes bye-bye. And if SWTOR goes bye-bye quick enough to make it viable to make a Mass Effect MMO in the near future, then it's probably a bad idea anyways.

Also, I don't like MMOs, take the series in an actually interesting direction.

Mar 26, 2008
Reading between the lines I always thought The Old Republic was a dry run to see how hard it might be to realise a Mass Effect MMORPG.
I originally dismissed the multi-player component of Mass Effect 3 as superfluous and "tacked on", but after playing it I'm totally sold. I don't think I'll be writing off anything Bioware plans on doing again.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]Is this supposed to be news? Who would be surprised by this?

Let's take a game who's lore is arguably the most valuable part of the series, and push it to the side to cram in the mandatory two faction system and kill off all the major characters in boss fights. Sounds like a good idea.
Umm who said all mmos had to be a two faction conflict? It doesn't even have to be an rpg, I've actually been thinking of an mmo city sim for Mass effect. Yea it's a bit far fetched but it could work.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Smiley Face said:
Why? How would this be in any way different than SWTOR? I mean, as settings, they're incredibly similar (spaceships, aliens, quasi-magic). Bioware just made a big damn Space MMO, the market is tapped until SWTOR goes bye-bye. And if SWTOR goes bye-bye quick enough to make it viable to make a Mass Effect MMO in the near future, then it's probably a bad idea anyways.

Also, I don't like MMOs, take the series in an actually interesting direction.
How about a GTA sandbox style game where you play a c sec officer on the citadel?