Bioware Hacked

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yeah, you all were rooting for the hackers when they were taking down a company you hated, but now they're targeting things you like, so it isn't so funny anymore, is it?

Hypocrites, all of you.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
How long until people just bite the bullet and start calling them the FailSec?
The only reason I and many others tolerate Anonymous is because they actually have some form of restraint in their deeds, which I respect. When you're just hacking peoples twitters for the hell of it, that's just being a dick human being.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
Yeah, you all were rooting for the hackers when they were taking down a company you hated, but now they're targeting things you like, so it isn't so funny anymore, is it?

Hypocrites, all of you.
For the record, I personally was not rooting for the hackers. And they were never "taking down" anything. They were just being a nuisance.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Luthir Fontaine said:
phelan511 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
phelan511 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
So when well those extra credit guys make another video talking about how great those hackers are....?
I don't recall them defending Lulzsec. They did sorta defend Anonymous, but it was more of the fact that Anonymous straight up said it wasn't them. As proof, 4chan got DDoS'd for a bit yesterday. Not sure by who but my money's on Lulzsec
Both use there computer knowledge to A: ruin peoples day and B: to make people do what they want, strong arm them if you would.
Ehh.... difference is Anonymous hacks and goes after people that deserve it according to their ideals of free speech and freedom of information (most of the time anyway). Lulzsec tends to just go after game companies just to cause havoc IMO.
So anonymous goes after people they deem a threat?
Yeah check out the wikipedia page on Anonymous,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

their hacking is generally good for everyone, as they try to help free speech where ever they can, some people might see it as immature but personally the proper Anonymous that goes after corruption, wikileaks and freespeech and so on seems good to me.

The problem is alot of people will just say their anonymous to sound cool, which is technically correct because they are a formless organization hence the name, but I'm sure theres some sort of top dog shadow cabal that are the proper anonymous that never let anyone know who they are.

LulzSec on the other hand, are just a massive pain in the arse, as they just keep taking out services and things that everyone enjoys.

Mind you, I'm sort of expecting Anonymous to step in at some point and start some sort of internet Civil War, that could interesting.

Pendragon9 said:

Hypocrites, all of you.
I don't think anyone supported the Sony takedown, it was universally agreed to be a massive dick move, besides LulzSec =/= Anonymous, just because they both happen to be hackers, that doesn't mean supporting one means we support all hacker groups.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
Well done, they have proven that a 10 year old service had out of date security. I have a NWN password so now I'm going to have to alter some accounts.

Mumrik

Apr 8, 2009
Spartan448 said:
Well, this means that LulzSec is getting closer and cloaser to the core of the gaming community. We know that their apparant motive is to expose weaknesses in internet security, but we all know that a talented hacker can get through anything that's not government level security.

LulzSec already hacked the senate and DDOS'ed CIA.GOV.

Ailauris said:
What I'm wondering is when will they go after Blizzard?

According to Dailytech they're telephone flooding Blizzard support and others. At least it's only the phones...

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Madara said:
Ya know. All I keep seeing that every other fucking company under the sun has responded to these attacks better than the idiots over at Sony.
Well Sony was the first one hit majorly. It's possible the other companies learned from their mistake.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
elvor0 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
phelan511 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
phelan511 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
So when well those extra credit guys make another video talking about how great those hackers are....?
I don't recall them defending Lulzsec. They did sorta defend Anonymous, but it was more of the fact that Anonymous straight up said it wasn't them. As proof, 4chan got DDoS'd for a bit yesterday. Not sure by who but my money's on Lulzsec
Both use there computer knowledge to A: ruin peoples day and B: to make people do what they want, strong arm them if you would.
Ehh.... difference is Anonymous hacks and goes after people that deserve it according to their ideals of free speech and freedom of information (most of the time anyway). Lulzsec tends to just go after game companies just to cause havoc IMO.

their hacking is generally good for everyone, as they try to help free speech where ever they can, some people might see it as immature but personally the proper Anonymous that goes after corruption, wikileaks and freespeech and so on seems good to me.

The problem is alot of people will just say their anonymous to sound cool, which is technically correct because they are a formless organization hence the name, but I'm sure theres some sort of top dog shadow cabal that are the proper anonymous that never let anyone know who they are.

LulzSec on the other hand, are just a massive pain in the arse, as they just keep taking out services and things that everyone enjoys.

Pendragon9 said:

Hypocrites, all of you.
I don't think anyone supported the Sony takedown, it was universally agreed to be a massive dick move, besides LulzSec =/= Anonymous, just because they both happen to be hackers, that doesn't mean supporting one means we support all hacker groups.
First, Anonymous is not an organization at all. They are more like a bunch of strangers that just happen to hang out in the same public room.

Next, there was, and is, no "Sony takedown", but just an attack against Sony. And if you think no one was rooting for the hackers when they were attacking Sony then I'm afraid that you're badly mistaken. When Sony was first attacked everyone who didn't like Sony for any reason was having a field day.

TheBadGamer

Mar 8, 2010
Gethsemani said:
Lulz Sec has obviously found a way to get their Lulz on; Hack everything you can think off. Most likely it is just a fad and will fade in a month or so when they find something else to get their Lulz on.
I really hope that you are right on this, I really do.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
A1 said:
elvor0 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
phelan511 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
phelan511 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:

Pendragon9 said:

Hypocrites, all of you.
First, Anonymous is not an organization at all. They are more like a bunch of strangers that just happen to hang out in the same public room.

Next, there was, and is, no "Sony takedown", but just an attack against Sony. And if you think no one was rooting for the hackers when they were attacking Sony then I'm afraid that you're badly mistaken. When Sony was first attacked everyone who didn't like Sony for any reason was having a field day.
Well you know what I mean by Sony takedown; it's semantics, that was just the words I happen to used for it, they took PSN down, which is sort of what I meant, then took all the customer details. Granted there were some people that supported it, but we can pretty much just label them as dicks, I don't even have a PS3, but I'll be damned if I supported the attack and most people didn't. There was pretty much no reason to support it unless you're some sort of massive anti sony fanboi.

On the Anonymous front, I know Anonymous isn't an organization, but I'm sure there is some sect of it that Organizes the Free Speech movements; the top hacktivists as it were. I know it is a formless entity and anyone can be a part of it, but proper Anonymous must have some sort of organization hidden with in it in order to organize their Free Speech attacks. Like they use the formlessness of it to move around undetected, using the chaos of it to do their stuff

I'll sort of steal from Extra Credits here, Anonymous has Ideals, just like Punk did, just dressing up punk doesn't make you punk, same as just saying you're Anonymous doesn't make you Anon unless you genuinely hold those ideals.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
TheCommie12 said:
what is it with hacking these days?!
To answer your question, remember how we all laughed at the kid whining that hacking Counter Strike and CoD should be illegal?

Guess what, this was the hacker's next step up. They got tired of dedicated servers kicking them out with admin bans. Now they're not 12 anymore, they're around 17, and all those years of ego-maniac hacking have given them a fantasy E-Peen big enough that when companies made it harder to hack, they got their ego bruised and are lashing out.

Fortunately, I have my Blizzard Authenticator and I'm using Steam Guard, this means the games I play are virtually un-hackable and the things that aren't so well protected (even my bank has a 24 hour watch for account theft) I really don't care about. If someone is really desperate enough to try and hack my Nexon account, they can have it, not exactly a die hard fan of DFO.

freddi91

Dec 9, 2009
Its not the hackers' faults. Security updates for server software costs money. So they take the easy way out by not securing it properly.

analogy: If a bank decided to not upgrade its vault with paper walls to metal walls and some thief came by and stole all your savings..... would you really blame the thief as much as the banking company?

Companies should just delete account data that they dont plan on using anymore once they stop supporting the games.

If this keeps up, I see two possible outcomes:
paid internet security that leaves room for privacy goes up
or
pair internet security that does not leave room for privacy goes up (the easy way out for security firms... yet it would cause protests... I hope)

A1

Jul 9, 2009
elvor0 said:
A1 said:
elvor0 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
phelan511 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
phelan511 said:
Luthir Fontaine said:

Pendragon9 said:

Hypocrites, all of you.

Well you know what I mean by Sony takedown; it's semantics, that was just the words I happen to used for it, they took PSN down, which is sort of what I meant, then took all the customer details. Granted there were some people that supported it, but we can pretty much just label them as dicks, I don't even have a PS3, but I'll be damned if I supported the attack and most people didn't. There was pretty much no reason to support it unless you're some sort of massive anti sony fanboi.

On the Anonymous front, I know Anonymous isn't an organization, but I'm sure there is some sect of it that Organizes the Free Speech movements; the top hacktivists as it were. I know it is a formless entity and anyone can be a part of it, but proper Anonymous must have some sort of organization hidden with in it in order to organize their Free Speech attacks. Like they use the formlessness of it to move around undetected, using the chaos of it to do their stuff
I wish you would be more precise and accurate with regard to your wording. To say "all customer details" would imply that stuff like how many freckles each customers has and the like. A more accurate way of saying it is that the hackers stole personal information. And they didn't take PSN down. Sony did that to stop them, and it worked. And they stole personal info before Sony shut them down, not after.

By "most people" I assume you mean the vast majority of the human race, and I suppose you would be right in that sense. But I think it's possible that you may be at least slightly underestimating the number of people rooting for the hackers when Sony was attacked.

And as for the possibility of a sect within Anonymous, that's possible but it would seem to be at least somewhat doubtful. One reason for this is because that offline protest that they attempted not too long ago turned out to be a huge failure.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
freddi91 said:
Its not the hackers' faults. Security updates for server software costs money. So they take the easy way out by not securing it properly.

analogy: If a bank decided to not upgrade its vault with paper walls to metal walls and some thief came by and stole all your savings..... would you really blame the thief as much as the banking company?

Companies should just delete account data that they dont plan on using anymore once they stop supporting the games.

If this keeps up, I see two possible outcomes:
paid internet security that leaves room for privacy goes up
or
pair internet security that does not leave room for privacy goes up (the easy way out for security firms... yet it would cause protests... I hope)

Actually, it is the fault of the hackers. When somebody gets attacked, it's always the perpetrator's fault first and foremost and not the victim's. This is always true no matter what the circumstances.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Damn hackers! when will it end!
As my old man would say...'Back in my day somebody would've hit someone by now'

I'm quite sure these dumbasses are enjoying themselves right now, but in the end they're the same sought of person who wold be the first to cry out if it ever happened to them.