Bioware Hacked

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
This just in! Lulzsec has hacked your entire childhood and everything that has ever made you happy for no reason!

I bet Micheal Bay is the leader of Lulzsec... That would explain so much...

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
Jordi said:
Sounds like BioWare needs to start encrypting their damn passwords. Seriously, this is like the first lesson everyone learns when they are even remotely going to have to do something with storing passwords, but apparently most companies just don't bother.

Everybody: if a website allows you to retrieve your actual password when you forgot it (as opposed to resetting it to a new one), they are not storing it safely. I know you always hear advice about not ever using the same password anywhere, but we all know that that isn't really practical. I would however recommend that if you know a site isn't storing your password safely, you don't use the same password there as you use for the important stuff (like your e-mail address that they also have).

Edit: I just checked and the Escapist appears to be doing it right.
How do you check?
Log out, go to the login page and click on the "I forgot my password"-link (or something similar). In the case of the Escapist they literally say something like "We can't send you your password, because we encrypted it and we don't know what it is unencrypted". Most sites I know don't say that, but when instead of sending you your password they reset it, that's a big clue that they are storing it right. Of course, you can never really be sure that they are doing it right. Even when they are encrypting it, you don't know if they are doing it properly (i.e. with salts and peppers and stuff). But when they send you your password in plain text, you know 100% for sure that they are doing it wrong.

LorienvArden said:
Jordi said:
There is no police on the internet, so people can pretty much do whatever the hell they please.
Let me rephrase that:
People don't SEE the police on the internet, so they believe they can pretty much do whatever the hell they please.

There are several different agencies that can and will bust you for criminal activities on the internet, like say - hacking sony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13727639
That story is not about Sony, but you are right: there is some police on the internet. However, I think their presence is so minimal that my point still stands for the most part. It is true that in some extremely high profile cases (like with Anonymous), the police might eventually try to do something about it. And now they have caught a couple of people that they suspect might be uncareful members of Anonymous.

So there are a couple of things that hackers cannot do without the risk of getting arrested. If they mess with a huge corporation or government, the police might get involved. If they steal information, e.g. credit cards, and use it to steal money, they might be caught.

But I would be extremely surprised if the police is going to go after LulzSec for DDoSing the Escapist. They might go after them because they have now hacked several high profile companies as well, but I still doubt it. But even if they do, there are people getting hacked all the time. When my website gets defaced by some jokester, I can't go to the police. There are entire forums full of these people bragging about their accomplishments, but nothing is done about it.
And if the police is more active than I think they are, maybe they should do it more visibly. They can still do stuff secretly and undercover, but they should also let everybody know that they're there, and that they're watching things. Hopefully that will scare of hackers, and it might encourage people and companies to go to the authorities when they get hacked or DDoSed.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Jordi said:
Thanks for the info. I've always meant to learn more about internet security, but never knew where to start. I think this latest string of hacking/DDoSing is enough motivation to start anywhere.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Jordi said:
But I would be extremely surprised if the police is going to go after LulzSec
Tbh i'd be really surprised if they didnt, i mean for god sakes they have a twitter account, not exactly low profile... I could probably track them down if i tried hard enough, the folks at 4chan almost certainly could.. i doubt the police would have too much trouble.

If they do anything that actually catches the polices attention, i'd be really surprised if nothing came of it.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
I think everybody has had enough of this hacking business. Why does everybody with the know-how want to wreck things instead of make them better. Imagine if all these "brilliant" hackers worked for these companies, helped set up impenetrable defenses. Instead they just wanna tear things down and mess it all up.

I don't see why they do this apart from just being pricks.

Madcat75

May 7, 2010
Maybe its time something like this was made a reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netforce

akibawall95

Mar 30, 2010
This might be a dumb question but, do they have all EA account data or just the ten year old server's data? Because I have an EA account but I did not receive this E-mail.

speakeasysyn

Aug 19, 2010
So, is it for sure LulzSec who keeps hacking everyone and their mother under the sun? This is kinda getting ridiculous....I might as well just close all my accounts just in case they decide to fuck up more game company sites >BT

They say they do it "For the lulz" but frankly this is just a crock of bullshit. Are they TRYING to get themselves arrested? Do they really find "lulz" in taking peoples personal information and hacking game companies security??

Someone needs to punch them in the face with a large fish then roll them in acid...

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
Creator002 said:
For fuck's sake. This is getting so old. There are better ways to focus your knowledge of computers, you stupid dickheads.[footnote]To avoid confusion, dickheads = hackers. Not you Escapist members. I <3 all of you. :D[/footnote]
So far, the knowledge of computers seems to extend to using zombie boxes to DDoS things, and use SQL injections. Not entirely convinced we're dealing with masterminds here.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
i think all the game companies need to pitch in and create a task force to stop all this shit.

with the power of all the publishers ranging from EA , microsoft, sony, activisio, ubisoft, ect. it will be a force to reckon with.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
Jordi said:
TheCommie12 said:
what is it with hacking these days?!
There is no police on the internet, so people can pretty much do whatever the hell they please. Governments (and businesses) need to get on this shit, but as usual they are slow as hell.
And, as always, their first attempt was fucking piss poor. I can understand making slip ups, but when it comes to user data, especially bank and personal information, they should be prepared to be constantly trying to make their system secure. There's little point in me hating Lulzsec, if it weren't for such minor development in online security then they might not be able to do what they're doing.

It may seem selfish, but businesses and governments need to step up their game in the way of internet security because the second regulation of the internet comes in it's masses, I'm sure as shit out of here.
Yes, businesses and governments in general would probably do well to step their game more in terms of internet security. But even so let's keep in mind (and I know I'm repeating myself here) that when someone is attacked it's always the perpetrator's fault first and foremost and not the victim's, no matter what the circumstances. And the hackers (obviously including Lulzsec) are the perpetrators and the businesses and governments are the victims. As are the customers, associates, and citizens of said businesses and governments.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
akibawall95 said:
This might be a dumb question but, do they have all EA account data or just the ten year old server's data? Because I have an EA account but I did not receive this E-mail.
I think they only took info from the Bioware forums. So if you've signed up on any forums for like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, NWN or Jade Empire, or the Bioware social network.. If not then i think your EA account is fine.

ghostalker.cepo

Dec 31, 2008
thelonewolf266 said:
Seriously no offence to anyone who uses them, but why bother hacking a decade old server that hosts Neverwinter Nights forums why would you be proud of that?
Possibly to try and find the old NWN premium content modules that are sadly no longer hosted. Either way it sucks

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Seriously, if most companies can't fix some basic SQL injections and the most BASIC vulnerabilities they deserve to get hacked, no matter who they are.

These attacks are on a very basic level, they're so basic, the company had it coming.

akibawall95

Mar 30, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
akibawall95 said:
I think they only took info from the Bioware forums. So if you've signed up on any forums for like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, NWN or Jade Empire, or the Bioware social network.. If not then i think your EA account is fine.
Alright, thank you. I do have a Bioware social account so I will keep my eyes open.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
akibawall95 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
akibawall95 said:
Alright, thank you. I do have a Bioware social account so I will keep my eyes open.
I think its because the bioware social thingy uses your EA account to log in, because thats where your DLC is registered.. If i were you i'd change your password, but i wouldnt worry about it too much.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Eh, I'm honestly not even that upset by this and almost expected it to happen. Why I had a new password ready for when it did happen.

So they used an old outdated NWN sever eh? Clever, I suppose. I do think that one good thing about all this, as said before by others, is it shows you simply cannot be lax when it comes to internet security, because the Internet is Serious Business,

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Jordi said:
TheCommie12 said:
what is it with hacking these days?!
There is no police on the internet, so people can pretty much do whatever the hell they please. Governments (and businesses) need to get on this shit, but as usual they are slow as hell.
}

so you are in favor of the PRO IP act?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRO-IP_Act

and the internet kill switch?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20033717-281.html

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Guys, lulzsec would brag about DDoSing a geocities page. Hacking Bioware would be plastered all of their front page. They're not responsible.

Anyway, hacking a server like this is nothing unless there are people who actually either
1. Use their business email instead of a dud for registering games
2. Use the same username and password after all this time.