BioWare: Mass Effect 3 Is the Best Game We've Ever Made

wezzipooh

Apr 2, 2011
If their inspiration comes from "Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty" Ill give it a miss. Thats all we need, another boring grey cover shooter.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
Zhukov said:
MiracleOfSound said:
The 'edgy' cynicism on this thread is laughable.
I sympathise.

However, this is a statement from a marketing director regarding an upcoming product. Surely a generous dose of cynicism is advisable when encountering such things.
MiracleOfSound said:
Zhukov said:
However, this is a statement from a marketing director regarding an upcoming product. Surely a generous dose of cynicism is advisable when encountering such things.
I agree with you, it's more the vitriolic tone of the cynicism that bugs me. There's far too much of it on this forum these days.
I think people get healthy skepticism and knee-jerk cynicism mixed up. It's one thing to take comments made by a marketing director with a pinch of salt, but it's another to pour scorn onto something as a reflex.

Also, people really need to learn the difference between something they don't like, and something that is actually bad.
....which is why my main criticism of ME2 was the lackluster story that really failed to deliver. I prefer ME's system, but ME2 was a lot smoother and faster to use.
OP: At this point, I don't care about the gameplay. How is the story? If ME2 or DA2 (curiously the first two games made completely under EA) are any indication, I'm in for disappointment.

LordWalter

Sep 19, 2009
""We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too," said Silverman. "What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not.""

Yeah, because a haphazard cross-genre chimeric trainwreck is definitely better than the flawless space-epic with strong RPG roots you made the first time around.

Fucking half-wits...

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Unless it includes Baldur's Gate I & II with HD graphics, support 1680/1050 resolution and an updated interface design; Im not sure if its possible that mass effect 3 can be the best game bioware have made. As (atleast for me) those old black isle games are still the bar that all bioware games are measured. Frankly they're are the only reason after dragon age 2 I'm even willing to give bioware another chance as I know they can do better...

Mar 26, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It wouldn't surprise me if the game took a similar route to Dragon age 2, and presented the player with all kinds of options, while leaving NPCs equipment fairly constant throughout the game, with upgrades to be found scattered across the galaxy.
Gargh! The very thing I hated about Dragon Age II, given my love for giving my NPCs make-overs.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I want my old team. All of them. Except jack.

I loved mass effect 2, because of all of the characters, and how they all had a story. Don't take that away from me.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Nothing BioWare has made in the past four years can top Knights of the Old Republic.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
In related news, Gearbox claims Puke Nukem Forever is the best FPS of this generation and Ubisoft genuinely thinks their DRM is a good thing for their customers.

I have no doubt ME3 will be awesome, but this kind of PR is not news worthy.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Bioware certainly seems to have a lot to say about ME3...

We'll see if they deliver. But if Baldur's Gate 2 was made in Bioware Edmonton, then I call bullshit on their statement. Especially since their earlier ME2 had a pretty lousy storyline.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
The.Bard said:
this isnt my name said:
Yep. Biotics are useless against armour/shields and most of the game was spend behind a chest high wall popping out and shooting the enemy. Played the same to me.
I'm certainly one for each person having their own opinion, so I will not be so bold as to say "you are wrong," but I will admit that it is impossible for me to disagree with your assessment more strongly than I currently do.

Less than 50% of Mass Effect involves combat. The strength of Mass Effect is in the dialogue, the decision-making, the exploration of grand space vistas, and turning Shepard into whoever you want him/her to be. Do you skip the dialogues, use default Shepard, and beat the game in 8 hrs by skipping everything but combat? That is the only world in which I can see ME2 & Gears having anything in common.

I mean, you might as well say that every FPS ever made is a Doom Clone because it "uses guns." Certainly, the walls in ME2 could have been a tad more organic, but I just fail to see how the use of a cover system (which they were working on for still-in-development-at-the-time ME1 before GoW was released, may I add) turns this into "Gears of War" clone.

As for the combat, I suppose if you play the game in real time the whole way through it could feel like Gears in the sense that you are shooting guns and not strategizing. I won't say it's wrong, but I would say it is completely avoiding everything about Mass Effect's combat that makes it unique. But hey, to each their own. If you just want another Halo shooter, go for it, I guess.

I'm not sure what your claim about Biotics being useless against armour/shields has to do with Gears, though, could you elaborate? That system is more similar to the rock/paper/scissors they used in Jade Empire, and Gears doesn't use anything like it... But if you're trying to say that being a biotic meant you had to shoot a gun because biotics never work, thus forcing you to do the cover-shoot-thing, then I would say you built your character up innefectively somewhere along the line. My adept made it through Insanity mode, and it was purely on the strength of my biotics. As long as you pick the right tools for the right scenarios, the gun is more of a decoration than anything else. For me it was a last ditch weapon for dire moments.

In summary, I think it's only as close to Gears as you play it. If you follow the story and get into the RPG elements of the game, I'm not sure how you could place ME2 & Gears in the same room, let alone the same universe. But that's just me.

I'm just gonna take snippets of your post that I can actually make out and quote from them. I don't mean to come off as rude, but I honestly can't understand half of what you typed.

There is not stratergy. I put as much thought into that as any other shooter. I5t playedlike a shooter for me.
Aha! There's your problem. You weren't playing ME2. Check your disc label and make sure it's the one with the N7 logo on it. ;) Seriously, though, I can say without fear of reprisal that this is an inaccurate statement. Well, mostly. There absolutely IS strategy in ME2's combat, it just sounds like you completely ignored it. And for that, I would place the shoulder of it feeling like a generic shooter on you.

Dialouge, well I have a pic to sum that up
Yeaaaa... so your attempt to convince people that the dialogue is bad is a comic drawn by Shamus Young? I'm sorry, anything less than a comic drawn by Gabe Newell is not accepted.

Wow impling I want a halo shooter becuase I thin mass effect is mindless corridor combat. Which it is. Exploration, hahaha I found more exploration in Metro 2033, a fps, exploration was a joke in ME2.
I implied you want a Halo shooter if you skipped all of the dialogue and RPG elements of ME2, which it absolutely sounds like you did. The corridor combat comprises less than 50% of the game. So, yes, my implication still stands.

Yor not sure, so you played on easy where the was no armour ? Husks had fucking armour, you know those CC powers, useless. And it was quicker to shoot than to use other powers to take out a single enemy. You can say what yowant, but you know exactly what im oabout. Powers are useless in that game on higher difficulty. Ho the fuck does armour even stop gravity
Please refer back to the "lack of stratergy" comment above. My adept on insane had no problem getting around any of those problems you cite, and I can say without fear of reprisal that if you were able to kill things quicker with a gun as an adept, you failed to strategize. Or maybe you built your character inneffectively and/or had the wrong squad. The math adds up to support me on this.

Story, you mean the non existant one or the one where I play therapist ?
Commander Shepard is a therapist? Huh. Maybe I DID play the wrong game. Does he bring aliens to his couch and drink space coffee? I smell a good game premise here!

Rpg elements, like what, powers dont change how the game played for me, at all
Having beaten the game multiple times, they absolutely do change the game if you use them appropriately.

Please tll me what rpg elements are there in this game ? They stripped them out, so it plays like a poor tps.
For the cosmetically inclined, you have armor customization galore, as well as Shepard's face. Buy/find new pieces of armor. Research upgrades your weapons, research upgrades your squad. Leveling up lets you customize yourself and your squad. And, of course, with the dialogue tree, you get to actually roleplay in a deeply refreshing way.

The only reason people like the game is its bioware.
Swing and a miss!

dialouge is pointless
Do you REALLY want to stand by this statement? If you do, this discussion is over. The dialogue choices carry the decisions you make from ME1 to ME2. Whether you like them or not, if you can't acknowledge that the game drastically changes based on your choices, then I see no point in taking this discussion further.

In summery, its ose to gears becuase it plays like it.
I don't know what "ose" is, but if you mean "close," then I would remind you that stating an opinion as your closing statement is a poor way to win minds.

Your entire post has inaccurately claimed there is no strategy and that the dialogue is terrible. Your only cited examples are a comic and that gravity should go through armor. I'm sorry, but if I am judge, jury, and executioner, (which in the realm of my own mind, I AM) then I swing my gavel and sentence you to an eternity of playing Duke Nukem.

Muahahahahahaha!