BioWare May (Eventually) Go For A Mass Effect MMO

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Jack and Calumon said:
No wait, Elcor Pirate.

I am being an Elcor Pirate.
Next thing you know, Blasto the Hanar Spectre will be chasing you. Elcor vs Elcor hand-to-hand? Could get interesting...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Pay attention everyone, I'm about to make a non-snarky comment about Mass Effect.

A Mass Effect MMO would be a really good idea. The advantages of Mass Effect were 1.Incredible and deep worldbuilding
2. Sense of scale
3. Feelings of epicness
4. Big large scale choices taking a long time to come into affect
5. Excellent character creations
6. Varied questing
7. Humour
8. Intricate moral choices.
9. Really really good cinematography

And only 8 doesn't fit with and become even more brilliant in an MMO format. And it's possible the Old Republic will even change that. (Maybe 9 too but it'd create some brilliant trailers and they could turn it into creating some awesome worlds and entry between the worlds)

The combat is a lot more suited for MMO combat, basic fun attack augmented by very unique (but limited) ability sets. The economy and upgrades systems would work better in the scale of an MMO. It wouldn't matter that once you got past the epic the story was non-existent and character arcs were lacking, because in all honesty, things like that get lost in an MMO when you spend so much time in MMO stuff. The slow affect of the choices would actually suit the time frame better and the railroading would be much more acceptable because it's an MMO. You can't screw up the world for everyone in a short time. Even the camaderie would feel brilliant with real people and it would really tone up the space opera feel.

And they'd have experience, and they'd judge their ground before going into.

This could be a really good thing

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Shameless said:
It won't surprise me, this is EA we are talking about.
Sorry to tell you, but BioWare isn't EA. EA is simply their publisher.

Anyway, ME seems like a great place to do an MMO.

It's vast enough, so why not.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I don't play MMOs. It has nothing to do with the setting of most MMOs (they are most fantasy games, and I don't mind Fantasy), but it's the structure. MMOs are about loot, social connections, guilds, and stats and big mobs. I don't really care much for loot, I have no social life, I can't stand the thought of a guild and while I don't mind stat driven games, I can get that from RPGs.

Even if they make a Mass Effect MMO, I wouldn't play it, because it's an MMO and MMOs are not for me. They're GREAT for some people. Just not me. No matter how much I love the Mass Effect universe (the Massiverse? Effectiverse?), MMOs are just a bad way to tell a story. Seeing numbers fly all over the screen, fighting the same boss over and over again, seeing hundreds of ill-sized player characters bunny-hop across the screen whilst chat messages pop up don't immerse me in a game's universe. I'm one of those people who actually LIKE the fact that games have gotten more "Cinematic" in recent years. MMOs do too much to remind you: "You're in a game! A GAME! None of this matters! It's all a big sandbox for loot! YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME!!!!" And that just KILLS the fun for me.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Am I the only one who's going to say it?

Why the hell is everything becoming an MMO?! MMOs suck, without exception, because people suck. Why can't devs just make good single player games? I just want to enjoy an experience alone. With online multiplayer taking so much dev time on EVERY game nowadays single players are limited/crap anyway we don't need more MMOs! Mass effect was an example of a good game with good, in depth story mode why ruin that?

X-07

Nov 28, 2009
Dear Lord,

For the sake of all that is holy, please stop every damn series on the planet from becoming an MMO. While the ME universe is big and expansive, some people like exploring it at their leisure and do not want to pay money every month to do so. Also we dont want to pay even more money if we want to explore it more than a set number of times. Players like story Lord, and we want to continue that, plus there's no such thing as an open ended MMO. You play through it once and you have absolutely no way to go back to see other results. And morality just wont work in an MMO seeing as you can only progress forward with no experimentation whatsoever (again unless you want to pay more for extra playthroughs). So yeah God, please dont let this happen.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
awsome117 said:
Shameless said:
It won't surprise me, this is EA we are talking about.
Sorry to tell you, but BioWare isn't EA. EA is simply their publisher.
Not true. Ever since being bought out by EA, Bioware are simply an EA development studio with a different name.
Huh? I seem to be confused by what you're saying.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Shru1kan said:
Plus it'll probably be full of gay sex options, probably in your face and shallow like DA2. Another bioware masterpiece in the works.
Such an enlightened reason to not buy a game, them giving you the option and all.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Tip: when you have to put both "may" and "eventually" in the title, it's not newsworthy. What they said comes down to "we can do it, but we have no plans to" - and that's not really anything new, particularly when considering the fact this same thing has been said several times in the past (and Escapist reported on it).

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
It's funny, but I look at the few naysayers and all of their reasons for why such a thing wouldn't work seem really shallow. Or just dumb. "Boiwear iz teh suk!" seems to sum up their arguments.

Anyway, The Mass Effect universe could easily handle an MMO. I'd actually be interested in how they would pull it off. A third person action MMO in the same style as Mass Effect would be difficult. It could be great fun and in some ways easier (there are times I really hate the AI in the games), but it would be tough to make work AND be fun. Also, classes and races would be difficult to balance. Who would want to go toe to toe with a Krogan Soldier in pvp? Not sure if it would work in a standard MMO style.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
In a word, nope.

Do really want Mass Effect associated with "rez plz", teabagging, grinding, untold numbers of fetch quests, math math math, subscription fees, long boring raids, or whining over drops?

Nope.

Not everything needs to a pay to play experience, just like not everything needs to be half released then loaded with DLC later on. I'd rather have Mass Effect whatever as long as it's single player, than Mass Effect Grindy-Fetchy while a window in the corner of my screen fills with "need healer" or twit filled banter about school.

Maker's breath, NO.

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
I remember awhile back telling my friends this is one of the few non-MMO to MMO setups that I would embrace with open arms. Glad to see it might happen.

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Shru1kan said:
Plus it'll probably be full of gay sex options, probably in your face and shallow like DA2. Another bioware masterpiece in the works.
Such an enlightened reason to not buy a game, them giving you the option and all.
Yes, and your companions borderline hating you after turning them down is a totally enlightened way to go about relationships. Of course, finding this sort of scenario to be comparable to fanfiction and utterly tasteless must be homophobic. Well spotted, old bean.

Forgot how many eggshells on on the floor here. It's like dealing with my mother on a bad day, if it can be taken as a slur, IT MUST BE ONE!

Grow up and stop white-knighting for people, or if you are gay/bi, stop looking to play the victim card. Neither will support your cause.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I think it's silly of journalists to ask about a Mass Effect MMO, when BioWare haven't launched The Old Republic yet. I may be wrong, but making and maintaining an MMO seems a bit more complex than releasing a regular game.

That said, I'd be more interested in a multiplayer ME than I am in TOR. If I were interested in MMOs at all... Say, why isn't anyone making a pen&paper RPG in the Mass Effect universe? Or are they?