BioWare Says Farewell With Mass Effect 3: Citadel and Reckoning

Mar 9, 2012
Archangel357 said:
While we're at it, anybody remember the Avatar from the Ultima RPGs (whose inspiration is felt all over the Mass Effect series)? Yeah, guess what happens to him in the end.
And guess what? It was the most poorly received game in the Ultima series, and the fanbase decried that game as a injustice towards the series. It pretty much caused Richard Garriott to leave the company, and shortly after that Origin Systems went under as EA closed it down.

Except for that last part (which I won't expect to be a difference for long), does any of that sound familiar?

Let me put it like this. Mass Effect is like a superstar basketball player who, over a Playoff series, gives you one stellar performance after another. 30 points here, 60% shooting there, 15 rebounds here, and a performance for the ages there (I still contend that ME2 is one of the best games ever made). And while keeping up a very high standard, he is entrusted to take the game winning shot in the final game - and misses.
Do you judge him by the performance throughout the series, or by that last miss? It's pretty sad when sports fans appear to be vastly more reasonable than gamers.
What happened is more akin to him constantly fumbling the ball in the final game, and then going on to score the winning goal. For the opposite team. And then he pompously claims to the press that he did everything perfect.

Mar 9, 2012
Archangel357 said:
People, me included, bitched about the game, which was poorly programmed, convoluted, and reduced long running and beloved characters like Iolo and Shamino to bit players - the latter complaint, btw, is perfectly valid for ME3, as well. However, my point was this retarded notion that epic heroes cannot die at the end of a major series, and if I remember correctly, people didn't ***** about the Ascension itself.
I do agree on Hercules fitting the bill. But what about the fatal mistakes of the other heroes? Like Hector's "fatal pride", Achilles desecrating Hector's body, and Jason breaking his vow to love Medea forever?

Does Shepard really have a fatal flaw?

Also, "pompous"? They apologised to fans in a major way with the - free - Extended Cut.
They still claim it was just "clarification", even though there were some serious retcons in it.

And it is more that they have ever actually addressed any of the harder questions and criticisms (like "Do you know why the fans are talking about abandonment of central themes in the ending?", "Do you understand why people think that Synthesis have a lot of unfortunate implications?") They have only answered soft-ball questions in safe and friendly environments (like Mac and Casey being "interviewed" by a community manager), and their answers has only been variations of "You just didn't get it", "It is just because you can't let go of Shepard", and "Artistic Integrity!?"

It comes across like they are trying very hard to avoid admitting any kind of mistake (even accidentally).

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Bioware's method of handling the shitstorm they created was both rude and childish. I won't have anything to do with them anymore and I sincerily hope, in honor of what they were before, that their next games bomb spectacularly so that EA puts a bullet in the head of a downed, sick shadow of it's former self.

I promised myself when the endings hit that until Bioware fixes the endings (never) I won't buy any of their products. I thought this would be hard, considering I was a major veteran Bioware fanboy, but I couldn't be asked to give a shit for any of the former DLCs, and this one is no exception.

Too little, too late BiowarEA. I wanted to believe you indocrinated us all, but in the end, you were the ones indocrinated. You won't see me ever again, and none of your products will ever see my money.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
OlasDAlmighty said:
Anyone else find it awkward to play DLC set some time in the middle of the game like a year after beating it? The final farewell should have been the game's actual ending, not some smaller mission set before it. Though if people say it's good I'll still probably buy it.
I'm fine with the mid-game stuff - but then I've always looked at the series at being more about checking out the universe with some entertaining companions than it was about the plot.

Post-ending material wouldn't make sense. Aside from the fact that most people don't even finish games and wouldn't buy post-ending content - the end-state of the world is too final to have it make sense in terms of having enough content for every possible scenario. Not to mention that because so much of the discussion of the post-ending possibilities that they'd never be able to meet the expectations on that one.

Oct 11, 2011
Meh. I was more excited for the ME2 DLC. Knowing what happens at the end isn't justifying me buying anything from them. I might try the MP since it is free, but otherwise, it was a good run, Mass Effect. I loved you up until you decided to suck.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Remember when nerds used to enjoy and celebrate their fandoms? And when did the Escapist community become so toxic? Seriously...

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
ShadowsofHope said:
And yet, you go through that still knowing StarBrat is right around the corner in the end, and nothing changes. I'm interested by the idea, but my loathing of the ending (though made ever so slightly less gutting by the EC) still well overrides that interest..

So much potential, sigh..
The conspiracy: That whole thing never happened. It was all a dream. Shepard is being held by Cerberus forces and her team busts her out. They then must stop the Illusive Man from helping the Reapers complete their conquest. Afterward, you get to see all your old friends and catch up with them while you hang out in your home and enjoy the company of your chosen romance. You know, like how the game should have ended originally.
Cut to the Illusive Man and Kai Leng standing in the foreground. The camera angle changes and pans out to show a blank, sterile room with metal paneling on the walls. Shepard is revealed to be strapped to a chair, surrounded by surgical lights and other mechanical apparatuses.

"She's gotten away from us, Leng." the Illusive Man states matter-of-factly.

"It would appear so, sir." Leng replies cooly. "She's gone."

"Hmph."

"May I put her out of her misery now?" Leng adds, voice picking up an edge.

"No... best to leave her to her own devices." the Illusive Man responds noncommittally, terminating the conversation. He calmly turns around, arms folded behind his back, and walks toward the doorway. Leng begins to follow step, casting back one quick glance filled with disgust intermixed with disappointment.

The camera moves closer to Shepard, focusing on her face. It is tilted to one side, a faint smile on her lips with a thin trail of drool slipping from the corner of her mouth. Her eyes are vacant and unfocused, blankly staring beyond the camera into an endless expanse of nothingness. She appears to be totally unaware of the events that have just transpired, blind, deaf, and dumb to her surroundings. She begins to hum softly to herself, still remaining in her near-catatonic state as the camera pans out to show the enormity of the room she's in, her near the very back. A few seconds after the Illusive Man and Kai Leng exit the camera, the audible mechanical sounds of a door closing and lights flickering momentarily drown out the sound of Shepard's humming. A row of lights encompassing the first fourth of the room flicker off, followed by the second and third rows. The fourth row bathes Shepard in light, holding for a few seconds, her still humming the same song. It then shut off with an audible finality, the room now completely pitch-black with darkness. The humming picks up pace momentarily before fading away into obscurity.

Roll credits.

JellySlimerMan

Dec 28, 2012
Archangel357 said:
Now see, that article would be far more impressive if I weren't a lit PhD candidate. For one, inaccuracies: the illustration near the bottom? Yeah, I gew up with Gustav Schwab's books, and he wasn't an illustrator. That said, the real problem is the use of Odysseus's example as a reason why Shepard shouldn't die. Um, you know, last I checked, Mass Effect wasn't the story of an A to B journey, but a tale of an epic, genocidal WAR. Hmm, what examples do we know in epic literature of such tales? Oh, here's one: The Song of Roland, a mediaeval heroic poem about a small force of heroes protecting their homeland from foreign invaders (sound familiar?). Spoiler alert: the eponymous hero dies.
Or, since the author of that blog post felt the need to bother Homer, what else besides the Odyssey did that geezer write? A grand epic of a massive conflict, maybe? Oh, right. That epic poem which starts, "Sing, goddess, the wrath of Achilles, Peleus's son"; now, in most legends (although not in the Iliad itself), Achilles, well (spoiler alert if you've lived on Illium for the last 3,000 years), DIES. Hector, the greatest hero of the Trojans? Dies.
Jason, the leader of the Argonauts (a story MUCH closer to the Mass Effect mythology than the Odyssey is - gathering companions, a mythical Macguffin, a filicidal überbitch, something that rhymes with Corinth)? Dies.
Hercules, demigod and greatest hero in Greek mythology? Dies and attains a higher state of being (blue ending, anyone?).

So for the author to cherry-pick examples of epic heroes who survive in order to illustrate that only tragic heroes die and epic heroes live is, pardon the French, fucking retarded.

While we're at it, anybody remember the Avatar from the Ultima RPGs (whose inspiration is felt all over the Mass Effect series)? Yeah, guess what happens to him in the end.
So instead of arguing about what the article ACTUALLY talked about (you know, the journey must pay off because it what that genre always does, and what clearly Mass Effect is supposed to emulate since day 1) you went of a tangent on dismissing the article just because he mention the issue of the hero dying or not.

You do realice that as long the journey pays off for The Hero AND uses the experience by defeating the final challenge, it will STILL be a valid journey, even if it dies or not?

Since you didnt discuss that essencial aspect of the series and the main argument of the article, i guess you agree with him.

Yeah, but you know what Colonial Marines DIDN'T do? Deliver a great game, let alone three of them.

Let me put it like this. Mass Effect is like a superstar basketball player who, over a Playoff series, gives you one stellar performance after another. 30 points here, 60% shooting there, 15 rebounds here, and a performance for the ages there (I still contend that ME2 is one of the best games ever made). And while keeping up a very high standard, he is entrusted to take the game winning shot in the final game - and misses.
Do you judge him by the performance throughout the series, or by that last miss? It's pretty sad when sports fans appear to be vastly more reasonable than gamers.
1)Mass Effect 2 contrived plot and a wasted potential use for the characters
2)Dragon Age 2 dull story and streamlined RPG elements, like the removal of a feature that Bioware and other Western RPG are know for, the "talk to your companions to know more about the world and their problems", meaning that we have no reason to give a shit about them. And i remind you that games even the 2000 (like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment) has them, but not a game clearly inspirired on them?? even when it is the bloody sequel of a game that already have that but was removed?
3)The Old Republic pathetic attemps of beating WoW MMORPG market by.........emulating WoW. With its stockprices lowering more and more, and becoming F2P.
4)Mass Effect 3 even MORE streamlined RPG elements, its lack of polish and broken promises of the developers, making people leave the game even BEFORE reaching the ending.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-13-less-players-completed-mass-effect-3-than-finished-mass-effect-2

This isnt just ONE fuck up, this is a conga line of fuck ups. So you dont get to say that ME is a supertar basketball player who JUST missed once, because people dont come here for a single superstar, they come to see the team (BIOWARE). And if the team doesnt care to fix the problems that they say they will, then why the audience should care?

Funny thing is, at least Gearbox only fucks up when dealing with rescuing games from Development Hell and fragmented design patched up to standards of whatever year it was supposed to be released, like Duke Nuken Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines. I have to yet find someone who tells me that the other games they make suck in detail.

I cant even call ME3 an RPG, or even being a game part of its own universe because it doesnt even care about the plot of ME2. Allow me to demostrate:

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Gottesstrafe said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
ShadowsofHope said:
SNIPPERS!
Alternatively..

"So be it!" The catalysts voice is intermixed with that of Harbingers as it fades, sounding both enraged and disappointed as it fades away. Only one phrase is uttered with certainty in it's wake as though a lingering memory."The cycle continues"

As the rooms lights fade and everything powers down...a renegade prompt appears that, after pressing it, causes shepard to hail Admiral hackett
"Admiral are you there?"
"Shepard!?" The voice is surprised but also anxious."What's going on? The crucible isn't working...Also we just picked up a large spike of energy."
"Admiral..do we still have enough ships in space" Shepard asks, sounding surprisingly nervous.
"Barely, the reapers are giving us a fight but..we still have more then enough to fight them off a bit longer. Why do you ask?"
Shepard sighs, expression soon becoming quite serious."I need you to blow up the Citadel"
"WHAT!?" Admiral Hackett is naturally quite shocked by this suggestion, almost angry."Commander..you can't be serious"
"I am, this is the only way now"
"Commander...you're asking us to destroy the very center of all galactic civilisation, a monument to all sentient races and the home of millions. I'm going to need a damned good reason to order our fleets to perform such a reckless action"

-If paragon option is Chosen
"Don't you think i know that?" Shepard seems quite to be almost accusing of Hackett."But...we have no other choice, this is the only way to stop them"
"Commander.."
"Hackett, i'm tired of this" Shepard winces, seeming to be getting weaker."I...no, me and my crew spent the last three years fighting to stop them. We saw them abduct colonies, waited for them to take earth, We...failed to stop them burning Thessia. It's our duty to put an end to this" Shepard sighs."If we don't, then every race is going to die: Quarians, Turians, Asari, Salarians...everyone. Everything we've done won't mean a thing, because the A.I running the reapers is on board this station and unless we destroy it the reapers will keep on fighting" Shepard gives another sigh."Give the order Admiral, tell them...to lock on to my vital signs...and end this, on our terms not theirs"
"...Ok Commander" The scene then turns to the ships of the various races as they hear this message, many naturally with mixed reactions.
"This is Admiral Hackett. All ships are to open fire and destroy the Citadel, the Reaper control A.I is located on the citadel. I repeat....destroy the citadel"

"What do you think you're doing!?" The Catalyst once more appears, it's voice again an angered mix of itself and harbinger."A solution was offered and you denied it. I offered you choices, and you squandered them.."
"They were your choices, not ours. I said i would end this on my terms, not yours..." Shepard cracks a final defiant smile."We're ending this cycle. Permenantly"
"DEFEND ME!" The catalyst's voice rings out to the remaining reapers."DEFEND THE CYCLE!"

The ending at this point depends on the galactic readiness rating: If too low, the assault fails and shepard dies of blood loss. If high enough, they are successful in blowing up the citadel (and subsuquently shepard in the process). Soon clips of the reapers deactivating and falling are shown, not unlike in the destroy ending as the other races cheer at their victory. Show montage of rebuilding races and monologue from Hackett about success and how the reapers were finally defeated and that, for the first time in millenia, the galaxy was able to decide for itself.

Roll Credits

---

If renegade option was chosen

"Oh for god sakes Admiral, just listen to me! The whole reaper armada is being controlled by an A.I that's been laying dormant in the citadel for centuries..the citadel is what's controlling the reapers!" Shepard sounds surprisingly angry, even hurried."We finally have a chance to blow these bastards to hell, and if you don't do it...then i'll damn well find a way to do it myself!"
"Commander.."
"Look, we can sit here discussing this as much as you damn well want and let our ships get blown to hell, or we can end this! Negotiations with this thing failed...now we do it our way"
"Commander, we're going to need something to target" Hacketts words are spoken as Shepard spots the Catalyst reappearing.
"I think i got a way to fix that. If i can get it to react to stimulai it should create a surge of energy like you picked up before: Tell the troops to lock onto that and hit it with everything you've got"
"...Alright Commander"

"Why do you continue to fight? You had the choice to stop the cycle and you dismissed it.." The catalyst returns to it's normal, neutral tone of voice whilst shepard approaches it
"Choice? Just like you gave the Densorin a choice?" Shepard sounds surprisingly sarcastic as they say this.
"That...does not have anything to do with current events"
"Ok, what about the Protheans? Did you give them a choice when you enslaved their race, forced them to murder each other for the sake of your cycle?"
"They had reached the height of their development and would have-"
"What about the humans on Horizon, did they get a choice when you melted them down? Did the Asari on Thessia get a choice when you set their world on fire? Or how about the Geth when you programmed them to terrorise the known galaxy?"
"We-" The catalyst's voice sounds strained.
"And what about that kid who's skin your wearing? Didn't think i would remember him did you? I still remember one of your reapers blowing him and countless other innocent lives to pieces" Shepard kneels down level with the catalyst, their voice laced with anger and hate."Why should i take the choice offered by a Genocidal liar? You murdered more then the last five wars combined...more then any war against synthetics or organics"
"OUR PURPOSE IS BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION!" The voice of harbinger is once more mixed with the boys, which sounds much more angered."We were wrong to select you, we thought you would be more...co-operative"
"I guess you didn't get the memo: I want the reapers scrapped"
The catalyst seems to be overcome by static briefly before speaking in a more condemning tone."Your hands are not without blood on them. [The catalyst will list various renegade major story actions if they were taken, if not they simply don't appear]. Your argument is hypocritical"
"I don't deny that. I did what i had to, but you still seem to think you're saving us...let me ask: Did any of them ever say 'Thanks for saving us Catalyst!' Did any of those races ever want to be destroyed? You say you're saving us, then prove it...play any audio logs of the Reaper attacks on the Densorin and their 'ascendance'"
"W-what?" The catalyst seems stunned at this.
"Do it!"
The log starts to play, with it consisting of horrified screams of pain and terror.
"Densorin!"
"But-"
"PLAY IT!"
The log plays the same thing
"Protheans!"
Shepard continues to force it to play logs until it eventually reaches modern races, forcing it to replay what it overheard from Thessia, Earth, and even what was said by terrified colonists during the capture by the collectors on Horizon. All the logs have the same message, until finally
"Enough!" The Catalyst declares, sounding almost pained as it's form turns a bright green."I've heard enough"

"Shepard, the energy source started fluctuating again. We have a clear target!" Hackett says over the radio
"Then start firing!"
"...Ok Commander" The scene then turns to the ships of the various races as they hear this message, many naturally with mixed reactions. "This is Admiral Hackett. All ships are to open fire and destroy the Citadel, the Reaper control A.I is located on the citadel. I repeat....destroy the citadel"

"We...were trying to save them" The catalyst mutters in defeat, looking at shepard."The cycle was meant to protect them"
Shepard simply turns away, obviously sick of talking to the catalyst as they take the elevator back down."This won't solve the problem: The created will always rebel against the Creator. How do you intend to solve a problem we failed to rectify?"
Shepard looks back."That's for us to fix"

The ending at this point depends on the galactic readiness rating: If too low, the assault fails and shepard dies due to a missed shot hitting where they are on the citadel and consequently blowing shepard up. If high enough, they are successful in blowing up the citadel.

The citadel soon starts exploding around shepard as they make their way to the teleporter, going at a fast limping pace and just barely managing to avoid being obliterated by debris as they return to earth if Readiness high enough.

As Shepard returns to earth, they begin to lose consciousness: If they have a Love interest, they are caught before they fall by them and helped back into a nearby transport. If no Love interest is found, they are found by either Wrex, or if Wrex is dead Grunt, leading to this line of Dialogue.
"Shepard" Wrex/Grunt says with an impressed tone and chuckle, while Shepard rests a hand on their shoulder before replying weakly.
"Wrex/Grunt.." They pass out shortly after before being taken to a transport.
If Wrex and Grunt are both dead and no LI is taken, Shepard is simply saved by a faceless alliance soldier with a helmet and taken to a transport.

Soon clips of the reapers deactivating and falling are shown, not unlike in the destroy ending as the other races cheer at their victory. Show montage of rebuilding races and monologue from Shepard about success and how the reapers were finally defeated and that, for the first time in millenia, the galaxy was able to decide for itself. The final shot is of Shepard, sitting up on a hospital bed before every squad member still alive walks into the room. The scene at this point varies:

If the player has an L.I, they go over to Shepard and embrace them, the scene soon fading to black after.

If the player has no L.I, then it shows the entire squad Saluting Shepard while Shepard smiles proudly at them.

Roll Credits.

JellySlimerMan

Dec 28, 2012
Archangel357 said:
All things being equal, I will NEVER be on the side that produces such entitled, childish nonsense as the above post.
Anyway:
Because no real long time Bioware fans exist, obviously:

Yup, not a single one. Entitlemen, entitlement everywhere.

The problem is that the very real and very justified criticism regarding the plot in general and the ending in particular was drowned the fuck out by the crybaby chorus of a million "I NAO HATE TEH MASS EFFECTS 4EVER!!!" Should they have reacted to the justified critique in a more even-handed manner? Absolutely. But before addressing the 10%, they probably were pissed the fuck off about the 90% of whinging dipshits. And I don't blame them. And as for that, their rebuttals are cool with me. If you think that the ending ruins everything ever waaaa and that they should change it so that there is a happily ever after and that everything is tied up nicely - well, yeah, those above responses are the exact way in which I would have told the idiots to piss off.
I will take a will guess and say that the fans that are the angriest are the ones that were the most loyal, but suddendly this display of incompetent writting destroyed every bit of loyalty that was blocking the issues that previous games made by Bioware made. They just couldnt take it anymore, reality just crumbled upon their heads.

In the other hand, looking at it from a consumer perspective, the things that Bioware delivered werent nearly as close to what it was told before. If fails to deliver when the competition like The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution does a better branching and RPG elements.

As someone already mentioned before, it ALSO fails as a product that EA would release. That is right, even EA would find this thing lacking by their own shitty standars. Behold, the "Electronic Arts Inc. Fiscal Year 2011 Proxy Statement and Annual Report" On the section listed as "Risk Factors": (search in Google if you doubt me)

Item 1A: Risk Factors.

Our business is subject to many risks and uncertainties, which may affect our future financial performance. If any
of the events or circumstances described below occurs, our business and financial performance could be harmed,
our actual results could differ materially from our expectations and the market value of our stock could decline.
The risks and uncertainties discussed below are not the only ones we face. There may be additional risks and
uncertainties not currently known to us or that we currently do not believe are material that may harm our
business and financial performance.

Our business is intensely competitive and ?hit? driven. If we do not deliver ?hit? products and services, or
if consumers prefer our competitors? products or services over our own, our operating results could suffer.

Competition in our industry is intense and we expect new competitors to continue to emerge throughout the
world. Our competitors range from large established companies to emerging start-ups. In our industry, though
many new products and services are regularly introduced, only a relatively small number of ?hit? titles accounts
for a significant portion of total revenue for the industry. We have significantly reduced the number of games
that we develop, publish and distribute: in fiscal year 2010, we published 54 primary titles, and in fiscal year
2011, we published 36. In fiscal year 2012, we expect to release approximately 22 primary titles, including
launching our massively ? multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic. Publishing fewer
titles means that we concentrate more of our development spending on each title, and driving ?hit? titles often
requires large marketing budgets and media spend. The underperformance of a title may have a large adverse
impact on our financial results. Also, hit products or services offered by our competitors may take a larger share
of consumer spending than we anticipate, which could cause revenue generated from our products and services to
fall below expectations.

They are delivering an inferior product to the competition. Therefore, its bad bussiness (even for EA standards, believe or not)

JellySlimerMan

Dec 28, 2012
Infernai said:
Roll Credits.
That sounds cute and everything, but you know what could have been nice? for the scientists to actually tell us what the Crusible actually does, then with that info we could have asked if there is a way to set the Destroy ending to a lower setting from the control panel (or whatever we were supposed to use when activating that ending), so it doesnt expand to the Relays (and by extension the whole galaxy) but instead it ONLY engulfs The Citadel entirely (we just need to make sure that Catalyst dies and not the Reaper shells). Meaning that we kill the Catalyst without killing everyone else on the galaxy (LOW EMS) or killing our synthetic friends.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Lily Venus said:
Another shining example of logic: "because ending-bashers scream and whine about the ending, the ending must be bad!"
And you provide another shining example of ignoring the facts.

The reaction the ending caused wasn't just mindless screaming by the fans. You're ignoring constructive criticism. That is also a part of the reaction. The biggest part. I bet you didn't even watch any of the ME3 ending analysis videos on YouTube that prove why Mass Effect 3 ending is not just subjectively, but objectively bad.

ZorroFonzarelli

Jan 5, 2009
I'll probably buy it at some point when I'm feeling nostalgic about the Mass Effect trilogy and feel like playing something new in it.

The botched ending killed any interest I had in any future Mass Effect games, though.