BioWare "Surprised" by Mainstream Success of Dragon Age

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
A DA MMO would be a terrible idea. At best, it would be "World of Warcraft: Even Blander Edition" which really isn't going to survive on the same market as WoW. The world is one of the most generic I've ever seen, and the gameplay doesn't stand out enough to hold it's own against WoW either. They'd be better off starting from scratch.

Aralous

Nov 14, 2008
Considering an MMO yet they still haven't fixed the 360 version of Dragon Age. Bioware is great, but I would highly suggest never buying ported versions of their games.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
The DSM said:
Thats because its a good game.

Bioware make some of the best RPGS on the planet, they deserve the attention.
This is basically my thoughts, oh with the addendum of this: I'm not quite sure Bioware should make a Dragon Age MMO. Then they might become a bit too MMO-ey. And then they'd be another Blizzard.

I will retract my statements about Blizzard when, people start recieving StarCraft 2.

aeonite

Oct 17, 2007
The party members in Dragon Age: Origins are far more articulate, interesting and capable than real-life players would be in an MMO.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
raankh said:
Considering the amount spent on advertising Dragon Age, I'm thinking Mr Melo is acting a bit too surprised. Just saying.
Amount spent on advertising? I didn't notice any advertising at all... I heard about it because I look for info on games.

Am I the only one who missed out on these ads?

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, it wouldn't work as an MMO.

There is nowhere near the required amount of grinding.

The one thing that annoyed me about DA:O, and bioware games in general, now that I think about it, is the way NPC's say things like:
"You can't do that, it's suicide!"
or
"No one's ever returned from there!"

And you go to the super-dangerous monster-filled place and it turns out to be... pretty easy really.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Whatever. They knew they made an awesome game. It came as no surprise to me.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Now if only they learned this lesson before they mauled what little RPG was in ME1 to make ME2. Tis a sad day indeed when an RPG Giant is surprised that their bread and butter sells well when you actually talk about it.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Few Rpg for the ps3, this one was fun, enjoyable... overall good game.

I found the blood splats laughable, but eh to each their own.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
Stunning. Simply stunning. How is it even possible to think that a dragon age MMO could be a good idea? The reason DA:O was so bloody succesful is that people are starved for this kind of game. Seriously, actual rpgs are rare as hens teeth nowadays.

I haven't read anything this rage inducingly ignorant for quite awhile. I don't even like dragon age that much, it's just mind boggling that there is a lack of any basic understanding of their audience.
When you have an industry full of lemons, and you decide to start selling grapefruit, and are succesful, your first response should not be "well, our grapefruit was more succesful than we thought it would be. Lets sell potatoes with grapefruit stickers on them instead."

A character driven, single player RPG is a completely different product than an MMORPG. I think the games industry would be a better place if more people had even a simple understanding of economics. There is a massive supply of MMOs, and a demand for single player RPGs thats exceeds supply (imo). It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
I don't know about the MMO transition. I feel Dragon Age was a game for the player who wanted a fantasy game without having to interact with the rest of the world. The immersion of the world wasn't spoiled by trolls or jerks who only cared about stats.

Plus how would the average player mod a pair of tits into there?

Demiath

Mar 12, 2009
A Dragon Age MMO; is he joking or just insane? Everyone please stop buying any DA:O-related stuff whatsoever until they stop so much as flirting with the idea of WOWing an old school RPG into complete genericness.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Davrel said:
Why so surprised?

Its a game full of blood and violence and massive-huge swords, where the main enemies are (to all intents and purposes) zombies and the end boss is a fat-huge fire-breathing magic demon dragon. Oh and the writing, outside of the rather generic main campaign, is first-class.

Apart from being rather buggy on release (in my experience at least), there aren't many negatives.
Just quoting since it's so true. The only part I disagree with is the zombies part. I'm a lot more inclined to go with a line from the Unskippable: Dragon Age here and the inner retort I had to it.

They're not quite zombies, not quite skeletons, not quite orcs.
Me: "Yeah. They're darkspawn, not any of those above. Bioware didn't directly copy other, already familiar evil creatures".

Anyway, on topic: I'm somewhat disgusted at the thought of DA: the MMORPG. Sure, the game may have borrowed some battle concepts from WoW, and they work well, so it can be translated to an MMO without too much difficulty, but if it were to turn into an MMO, I'd either be thinking of dwarves teabagging elves, or of stupid immersion-breaker quest mechanics like the ones described by Shamus in his Champions Online Let's Play series. Not a good move.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
I thought by now they wouldn't be surprised by success. I figured at this point they'd all wake up and be like "Oh, we just made another kick-ass game? What else is new?"

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
Mihz00 said:
I'd much rather have Dragon Age 2 (minus the loot stash bum rape they performed) then a Dragon Age MMO, personally.
Absolutely. I hate the knee-jerk reaction developers have these days of turning anything successful into an MMO; the market's flooded, there's not much to do with the IP apart from exactly what they're already doing, and they're bringing nothing new to the table. I love DA:O for what it is, but I'd never buy the MMO.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I enjoyed the game, but I'm a little surprised as well... it was a good execution of all its elements, but those elements were pretty familiar (and not just in terms of the "BioWare only has 5 characters" whining). It was good at what it did, but I wasn't expecting it to stand out from the crowd.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Hurrah for Bioware!
As a rabid Bioware fanboy who wants to name his future daughter Imoen (Though the wife is stonewalling that one), this is excellent news. I've been holding off my full 2nd playthrough of Dragon age until Awakening comes out, and I'm pretty excited!
Great games deserve great praise.
I want to eventually name my son "Elminster".

OT: Dragon Age: Origins was definitely one of my games of the year, nothing else compared to it in the RPG field. It doesn't quite bring back awesome memories of the Baldur's Gate games but, damn, it was close enough. The memory leak was a huge pain in the ass, however.

As long as Bioware keep up the good work, they'll be seeing a lot more recognition in the future (as if they haven't had a lot already).

ME2 is my favourite game of 2010 so far but, then again, FFXIII is getting better and better.