Bioware to Fix Error-Laden Mass Effect Novel

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Bioware to Fix Error-Laden Mass Effect Novel

Bioware promises future editions of Mass Effect: Deception will be more consistent with the source material's lore.

Recently, more invested fans of Mass Effect were horrified to discover that Mass Effect: Deception, the series' latest spin-off novel, was filled with errors and inconsistencies. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115588-Fans-Tear-New-Mass-Effect-Book-to-Shreds] The fans responded by creating a massive, all-ecompassing list of the book's various transgressions, and one user took the time to dress up as a terrifying, Mass Effect-themed Klansman [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXVmleTSB5k] before setting the book on fire.

Bioware has heard the fans' angry hooting and community coordinator Chris Priestly responded thusly [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9150901/1]:
Mass Effect fans have been asking for a comment on recent concerns over Mass Effect: Deception. We have been listening and have the below response on the issue.

The teams at Del Rey and BioWare would like to extend our sincerest apologies to the Mass Effect fans for any errors and oversights made in the recent novel Mass Effect: Deception. We are currently working on a number of changes that will appear in future editions of the novel.
We would like to thank all Mass Effect fans for their passion and dedication to this ever-growing world, and assure them that we are listening and taking this matter very seriously.
And with this, gentle readers, we have come full circle. Bioware is going to patch a book. It's now only a matter of time before they announce extra chapters as DLC.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Now if only the same thing could be done to the Star Wars Expanded Universe so we could retcon Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi out of existence.

Honestly, did nobody proofread the damn thing before they shipped it? Actually, disregard that. Del Ray also does the Star Wars EU, so quality control isn't one of their priorities.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
I'd just like to observe that the news image is horrifying.

And that my first reaction to this was "Shouldn't you have done this BEFORE you published it?"

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Good to know. I had planned to buy some of the Mass Effect books in the future. Saying that I would have probably not noticed the errors. Also, that's the scariest Shepard I have ever seen.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Grey Carter said:
And with this, gentle readers, we have come full circle. Bioware is going to patch a book. It's now only a matter of time before they announce extra chapters as DLC.
Professionalism at its finest my friends.

Professionalism at its finest.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Broken Blade said:
I think it looks like Wesley Snipes from Demolition Man:

As far as I know he wasn't in Mass Effect, but the amount of outrage that the book has spawned maybe the writer accidentally stuck him in there as well!

Yeah, it's pretty funny that they have to 'patch' a book. There really should be more effort put into making sure tie-in novels are actually decent, and not just viewed as exploitable merchandise.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Zen Toombs said:
Grey Carter said:

Thanks, man. I try real hard.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Grey Carter said:
XD i say thats a good business model :tf:

I would actually relished the day that books can be patched XD

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Zen Toombs said:
Grey Carter said:

Well, I was actually sarcastically referring to Bioware, but your comment was deserving of praise as well.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Zen Toombs said:
Grey Carter said:
Zen Toombs said:
Grey Carter said:

Well, I was actually sarcastically referring to Bioware, but your comment was deserving of praise as well.
Ah, sorry! I thought you were being sarcastic. Some people don't like that I usually close my news pieces with a joke.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Zen Toombs said:
Grey Carter said:
Zen Toombs said:
Grey Carter said:
-snarky comment-
Ah, sorry! I thought you were being sarcastic. Some people don't like that I usually close my news pieces with a joke.
Really? I actually enjoy your news pieces. They tend to be some of the more amusing ones. ^_^
DVS BSTrD said:
Glad to see they're finally assuming direct control over the series.
But it seems like a meta meta joke to me: A book called Deceptions not being true to the canon?
You're terrible. But props for the meta-joke.

Feb 13, 2008
[HEADING=2]Bioware to Fix Error-Laden Mass Effect Novel[/HEADING]

Huh-Huh, are they going to pa...

Grey Carter said:
Bioware is going to patch a book. It's now only a matter of time before they announce extra chapters as DLC.
>
...tch.

OK, I have nothing that will top this now.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Broken Blade said:
Not as horrifying as another Shepard I've seen. I forget his name though. He was really freaky looking and had a forum on some website dedicated to his quest through Mass Effect 2.

Kinda sad that I can't remember the name. I really want to read that story again.

EDIT: Nevermind. I remembered the name (which was "Ugly Shepard," oddly enough). His story can be found here [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/1398049].

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
That is an amazing close. You should retire, you won't top that.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This is sad, REALLY REALLY sad.

Not as sad as the numb-nuts who's crapping all over the WarHammer 40k universe, but close.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
It's good that Bioware listen to the fans and also takes action but I doubt that a number of changes are enough. This "book" is an abomination. The only way to rescue it, means it has to be rewritten by some other writer.
It's not just the lore that has many holes.
The characters are destroyed. They act completely different than before for no apparent reason. Kai Leng, Kahlee Sanders and David Anderson will never be the same again unless the book is rewritten.
The story is often stupid and nonsensical not just because of the lore. Certain things that happen just don't make any sense.
The writing is just bad. I don't know why he wrote in such bad style, I've read another book by Dietz and that was at least average. Here he writes like he has never written a book before.

You can say that I exaggerate but I think that there are just too many things wrong with this book.
Still, I appreciate it that Bioware at least wants to change it. To be honest, I did not expect that to happen. I thought that they would simply wait until fans forgot about this.