Bioware to Fix Error-Laden Mass Effect Novel

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Zen Toombs said:
Grey Carter said:
Zen Toombs said:
Grey Carter said:
And with this, gentle readers, we have come full circle. Bioware is going to patch a book. It's now only a matter of time before they announce extra chapters as DLC.
Professionalism at its finest my friends.

Professionalism at its finest.
Thanks, man. I try real hard.
Well, I was actually sarcastically referring to Bioware, but your comment was deserving of praise as well.
Ah, sorry! I thought you were being sarcastic. Some people don't like that I usually close my news pieces with a joke.
that was a joke?

Oh dear, oh dear , oh dear.

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
All right, my two cents on this:

Yes, I'm incredibly pissed off to hear of Deception and how error-riddled it was. While I haven't yet gotten into ME novels due to time constraints, I do plan on getting those books in the near future because the Mass Effect series has, in my opinion, a massive potential for grand, engaging stories, not even adding how much I love the Mass Effect games in general.

Hearing Bioware doing something about fixing this piece of crap by Dietz is amazing, yet I'm still a bit torn. On the one hand, I'm upset that this book was able to slip by without any double-checking on Bioware's part and, even more importantly, that it hasn't simply been declared non-canon to the ME-verse. With the amount of errors everyone has listed, it'd be insane for this to EVER have any impact on the main plot or general lore of the universe.

On the other hand, I can understand some possibilities about why this is the right course of action: Bioware probably invested some money into having this book written, and to suddenly declare it non-canonical MUST have some implications for their image. Also, imagine how Dietz would react to this? He'd be furious that something he worked on for a video game series was suddenly declared "just" fan-art, so I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to go after Bioware for damaging his reputation. As well, I imagine Bioware DID want to tell a story that was going to tie in to Mass Effect 3's plot and didn't want to start entirely from scratch, so hiring someone else to "patch" the story is the most rational way of going about this.

Ideally, the book as it is now should never have existed, 140% without doubt. Sadly, all we can hope is that Bioware does a good job of fixing up the book and learning from their mistakes.

Gaias

Apr 2, 2009
Not really the first time this has happened to a novelization of a Bioware game if you consider the Baldur's Gate trilogy of novels.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
SurfinTaxt said:
teh_gunslinger said:
SurfinTaxt said:
teh_gunslinger said:
haha youre obviously trolling because no one who actually read through dance w/ dragons would say that. How does it drone on and on? Things are happening all the time, the 4th might have dragged a bit, but every other book is packed to the gills with believable political intrigue, layered, interweaving sub plots, unique morally ambiguous characters, and gripping, tense moments.

Read the first book at least before making a comment like that. And no, thats different from me saying vg books suck because they are designed to suck. No one is spending more than 4 or 5 months writing these things, its like a book factory. Every game book Ive ever picked up sounds like a first draft
Oh, I'll happily admit that I've only read the first two and a half books. Can't bear reading any more of them to be honest.

My point was not that video game books are better (or even good). They mostly are not. Rather I wanted to show that when it comes to taste, it makes little sense to slam other people for theirs. If someone enjoys a Mass Effect book that's not really a problem. Likewise, it's not a problem that someone enjoys Martins books. To each their own.

I just don't enjoy them very much. I think there are too many better books I could read instead of spending so much time on ASoIaF. The ones I've read would have, as so much genre fiction, benefited from a harsh editor to trim out the fluff. Martin can obviously write. He just have problems stopping again. Much like Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan. Though Martin certainly is a better writer than those two.

For the record, I've not read a good video game based book so far, but it's entirely possible one exists somewhere.
Sure, I get that (some) ME diehards want to continue their adventure in as many mediums as possible. To me it just waters the brand down unless its a real effort by a very talented writer. Im not slamming people, I just have hard time understanding the point in reading a tie-in book that isnt going to be at least memorable. I doubt many people reread the mass effect books.

Im actually appalled that you compared martin and jordan. When martin writes, every word has substance. Jordan on the other hand can write a thousand pages and say almost nothing.
I hope youll give the series another shot, Ill admit that some chapters can be a slog (every Bran chapter ugh), but I find that youre constantly rewarded for your persistance. Whether its the moment when the overbearing, entitled little shit prince gets gelded, or the victories of the deformed Tyrion with his keen wit, or Jon having to take the respect from his men as youngest Lord Commander of the nights watch with some no nonsense bad assery (I dont want to spoil it, but I will say he lets his men know that they will respect his authority or suffer very severe consequences, using a particularly loathsome character to set an example), the world of westeros and valyria across the narrow sea is so rich. If you dont continue, you wont get to see the landsmoot of the saltmen and all the subtle political things going on in the background, interweaving into the narrative. Im gushing I know Im sorry, but the last book was so damn good.

What is it that youre into? Do you have a favorite series that you reread over and over?
I really don't mean to interrupt in this little thing you've got going here, but: You do realise that the first three mass effect books were written by the game's lead designer? I find it hard to believe that someone who was the lead figurehead in the creation the universe would "water it down" simply because he's writing it on pages. I'm aware Drew isn't the greatest author but he's written pretty damn good books in the past (Darth Bane novels, the previous ME books before this one)And I'd say they were hardly atrocities.

You seem like you're a pretty well versed reader and I can only assume your words/second is quite high; but I still suggest you give a few of his books a read over. You may be pleasantly surprised or you may stick to your guns.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Bioware to Fix Error-Laden Mass Effect Novel

And with this, gentle readers, we have come full circle. Bioware is going to patch a book. It's now only a matter of time before they announce extra chapters as DLC.

So if I want to read the book in a renegade or paragon voice do I get a different ending or are we still waiting on that dlc?

I hope they just send out pages with instructions to tape this over the old original pages.

Still it is nice of them to fix it rather than tell everyone to live with it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
So how does this help the people who bought the book in the first place? Can they take it back for an upgrade?

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
This...this even beats out Ugly Shepard! The 'stache is the worst part! Or maybe it's that he has no palate between his nose or mouth, or the inhuman cheek bones...

Definitely more than the sum of his parts.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I am glad that Bioware responded so quickly.

I do wonder, if the entire thing will actually be a good book once all the problems with it are fixed...

Grey Carter said:
o_O

Oh God, WHAT IS THAT THING?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Therumancer said:
You know, as I've been saying since my PnP RPG days, it would be nice if in situations companies like this not only declared something non-canon, but actually instituted a recall and refund on products.

Correcting "errors" in something like this is kind of pointless, and hurts the lore and franchise. It's sort of like how companies like Palladium and WoTC/TSR/Hasbro/whever has D&D have made revisions within differant printings of the same "edition" of a PnP book, or how sometimes there will be differances between printings of a given novel. I remember actually sitting down with differant printings of RIFTs, say the main book or Silver Anniversary copy and finding other pre-Ultimate Edition copies that had differances in them. A major shock in that community came about when the now-ancient "RIFTS Japan" was released and some of the classes were listed as having special abillities referancing mechanics that were not in the game originally. Say if you had an original copy of RIFTs, explaining that some Ninja could make a dodge against ranged weapons with less of a penelty was a "WTF" moment. It was referring to the stupid addition of a -10 to all dodges against ranged attacks without the defender being able to use his dodge bonus (now infamous) that simply wasn't in the game before more recent printings and thus probably like 90% of the people were oblivious to. Not to mention how paticularly dumb this rule was to begin with, even if you understand the reasoning which is an entirely differant cup of beans.

The point is that companies need to take responsibility for the things they do, and crap printed products that do damage to an established property. Just as a toddler toy that represents a choking hazard gets recalled with a sincere apology, the same should happen to bad RPG books, or lore-destroying novels like this one.

To be honest, I'm avoiding "Deception" intenitonally, even if I don't normally read much game tie-in fiction. I would however like a side by side analysis as to whether or not this is a worse affrong to the established universe it claims to represent than the famed Harry Potter fanfiction "My Immortal" (which I did try and read... but it causes almost physical pain, I kid you not). Perhaps an idea for an episode of "No Right Answer"? Perhaps an extra long pod-cast edition featuring readings of both works one after another... the guys from Drinking games could stop by with booze to help kill the pain part way through. :)
Problem with that idea is that editing a book is a LOT cheaper than refunding EVERY BOOK THAT WAS SOLD. Most games, when they are unplayable at launch don't get refunded, they are just patched. Calling it non-canon could of been done, and would of been cheaper, but than you have to explain to your investors why your not selling the book that you spent their money to publish.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Made the mistake of ordering the book a few days before the release date - now it's on its way and I'm supposed to... what, bin it then order the revised edition when it's released? Keep it, hope it becomes a hilarious and valuable collectible one day, and then order the revised version?

Ugh, fail.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Now if only the same thing could be done to the Star Wars Expanded Universe so we could retcon Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi out of existence.
And equip all televisions with a JJ chip, that blocks Jar Jar Binks from appearing on-screen.

OT: I believe I speak for everyone when I say "Oh, this world we live in!"

AD-Stu said:
Made the mistake of ordering the book a few days before the release date - now it's on its way and I'm supposed to... what, bin it then order the revised edition when it's released? Keep it, hope it becomes a hilarious and valuable collectible one day, and then order the revised version?

Ugh, fail.
Or just do what I one day intend to do with copies of all the world's dubstep: Purchase land, and install a clay pigeon launcher, and go to town.

LongMuckDong

Aug 23, 2011
SurfinTaxt said:
Beryl77 said:
It's good that Bioware listen to the fans and also takes action but I doubt that a number of changes are enough. This "book" is an abomination. The only way to rescue it, means it has to be rewritten by some other writer.
It's not just the lore that has many holes.
The characters are destroyed. They act completely different than before for no apparent reason. Kai Leng, Kahlee Sanders and David Anderson will never be the same again unless the book is rewritten.
The story is often stupid and nonsensical not just because of the lore. Certain things that happen just don't make any sense.
The writing is just bad. I don't know why he wrote in such bad style, I've read another book by Dietz and that was at least average. Here he writes like he has never written a book before.

You can say that I exaggerate but I think that there are just too many things wrong with this book.
Still, I appreciate it that Bioware at least wants to change it. To be honest, I did not expect that to happen. I thought that they would simply wait until fans forgot about this.
Its a VIDEOGAME BOOK, Of course its going to suck! Even if it got everything right canon wise it would still suck! Videogame books just fucking suck and it will always be that way. Just like paying your taxes
Why would a book automatically suck if it's based in a world created originally for a video game? Maybe back in the day when the depth of worlds/characters in games was as deep as a paddling pool.. but these days the quality and size of game universes rivals any mediums realms.

The Mass Effect universe is my favourite sci-fi universe bar none (I prefer it to Star Wars, Trek, B5, the list goes on), and I really liked the previous 3 books by DK, and I never read novels.. to be honest, Video Game novels have got me back into reading, which I am greatful for, and find books tied into games to give my gaming another layer of satisfaction, knowing back stories of characters you meet and places you go: it's so good.

The Deus Ex, Dragon Age and Star Wars Old Republic books have done the same for me, expanded my gaming to include even more lore content to enhance the total experience. So I put it to you sir, that they do not 'suck', but in fact 'rule'.

cheers. :)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know he's right, "Fixing the book" pffft that book should be kept the shitty way that it is. Everyone knows that you're not supposed to respond to complaints and actually try to fix the mistakes you made, you're supposed to just sit down and let people ride you like the ***** that you are and not do anything about it...people, I swear.

Also in an unrelated topic WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Well, E-books are here, so patches and DLC for books may not be such and weird idea. But I'm glad they'll do am updated version of this book, since three former were good.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Now if only the same thing could be done to the Star Wars Expanded Universe so we could retcon Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi out of existence.
Nothing personal, but I resent you for even making me think about Legacy of the Force.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Beryl77 said:
It's good that Bioware listen to the fans and also takes action but I doubt that a number of changes are enough. This "book" is an abomination. The only way to rescue it, means it has to be rewritten by some other writer.
It's not just the lore that has many holes.
The characters are destroyed. They act completely different than before for no apparent reason. Kai Leng, Kahlee Sanders and David Anderson will never be the same again unless the book is rewritten.
The story is often stupid and nonsensical not just because of the lore. Certain things that happen just don't make any sense.
The writing is just bad. I don't know why he wrote in such bad style, I've read another book by Dietz and that was at least average. Here he writes like he has never written a book before.

You can say that I exaggerate but I think that there are just too many things wrong with this book.
Still, I appreciate it that Bioware at least wants to change it. To be honest, I did not expect that to happen. I thought that they would simply wait until fans forgot about this.
I want to point out that this is nothing new. Dietz ruined the Halo 'verse well before he set about mutilating the Mass Effect one.

I LOVE the Halo EU novels, but the second one--written by Dietz is like reading a walkthrough rather than a book. An unfinished walkthrough. Written by a five-year-old. With a piece of dried poo.

How is this dumbass still allowed to write books??? I've read CRACKFICS that were better-written than his stuff. Freaking Full-Life Consequences was better than his Halo novel. He needs to be blacklisted from the official novel community.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
With the amount of errors and stuff, did anyone from the game's writing team even read the drafts? Why weren't they editing? And why did Chris tweet that the book was good?