Bisexuality doesn't exist

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
Rin Little said:
I'm tired of hearing the same crap too, and I'm also bi. Granted I'm on the female end of the spectrum which people seem to accept more than a guy being bisexual... Gotta love the double standards right?
Because girl-on-girl is hot. [/sarcasm]

OT: This thread stinks and the OP needs a bath. [/pun]

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I walked into this topic expecting to see a troll and expected something else.

In terms of it being real, I'd say it's very real. Although that may be partly be because I'm bisexual myself. In terms of if someone has tried to convince me it doesn't exist, can't say I have at all ever had that displeasure. Then again, I've enjoyed some people complaining about how bisexuals are whores, that's always fun considering my lack of a love life.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Kathinka said:
why apply this stupid kind of categorization anyway? just date and have sex with whoever it's fun to you (and who consents, of course) and don't worry about terminology.
Because I tend to confuse people when talking about my romantic life.
The same goes for my ethnicity. Always have to give the huge spiel every time because I was born in Swedish and have foreign parents (mostly when I'm outside of Sweden).

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Batou667 said:

You see this bicycle? It doesn't exist. It's actually a greedy and indecisive unicycle. Or perhaps it's a tricycle in denial.

But it sure as hell isn't a bicycle.
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that you are a success. Congratulations, you have my eternal admiration.

OT: As a bisexual male, I concur with your analysis.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
I tried to be bisexual once, but I couldn't bring myself to kiss a guy. I guess I'll just have to settle for boring ol' straight. (not sarcastic)

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
jessegeek said:
Yeah, sorry about misphrasing that. I understood what you meant by mentioning it, I should have said that I'm sure you don't actually believe in that stereotype yourself.
Nah, it's no problem. You weren't really accusing me of anything. At worst, you were just trying to highlight a possible misconception in my post. No harm there.

jessegeek said:
Again I need to apologise for my total lack of clarity, I agree that there is a clear difference between the 'college lesbian' and 'on the fence guy' issues. The reason why I brought in the 'on the fence' issue was because I broadened what I was commenting on to include the idea of girls not deciding yet. In my experience, whilst it is an issue and a stereotype in its own right the 'college lesbian' idea compounds it, as some people tend to have that in mind when playing the 'you haven't decided yet' card, the implication being that people will 'return' to heterosexuality after shallow experimentation. Basically, that the 'college lesbian' image reflects and has influenced the implicit heteronormative bias usually present behind that argument.
Fair enough. Though from a purely objective standpoint, it's a lot easier to make that assumption about women than it is about men. It doesn't make it any more proper to apply it across the board, but at the very least, I can see where the misconception has its roots.

jessegeek said:
Agree with all of this, hence my rephrasing of my previous statement. I don't think I've ever met someone who has discovered their sexual orientation by getting drunk and having a fling, and it would be great if more people realised that most people realised that for most members sexual and gender orientation minorities their experience is much more complex than that. However, this seems so difficult to achieve without people broadcasting their sexuality, which somewhat defeats the point.
Meh. I've sort of accepted that with stereotypes on the whole by now. Normal people rarely get made into stereotypes: it's the loud and abnormal that get noticed because, ironically, they stand out among the crowd. Even among minority groups, there's a 'normal' majority, who by and large don't try and attract attention to themselves solely because of what makes them a minority.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
Are you done venting 'cause that's what all this is. It's already firmly established Bisexuality exists, there literally is no discussion value here. Good day.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
MysticToast said:
guntotingtomcat said:
Sexuality doesn't exist. We're attracted to people, not genders.
Anyone I've ever been attracted to was a girl. I've never been attracted to someone who is of my gender....
1. I am wiling to bet that there are women out there that you find unattractive. This would suggest that you are not exclusively attracted to gender.
2. I am also wiling to bet that if you met a male who looked exactly like a woman, let us assume a woman with attributes that would normally seem attractive to you, then you would like their physical appearance. This suggests that genitalia has less to do with attraction as does physical attributes.
3. You could suggest that it is exclusively female attributes you find attractive, but that alone suggests that a simple 'left, middle or right' system does not account for the full spectrum of sexuality.
4. Until you have met every man who has ever existed, you cannot claim to say that you will never be attracted to a man (I know you didn't make that claim, I'm just grasping at a point). It is possible that there is an individual out there whose physical attributions and behavior are attractive to you, and that individual may just happen to have a penis.

Ultimately, when I say sexuality doesn't exist, what I mean is that the three sexuality's that society at large claims to exist are unhelpful and overexposed labels at best. Sexuality is a great deal more complicated than penises and vaginas.

Sorry for the essay.

Sylvine

Jun 7, 2011
penguindude42 said:
Because girl-on-girl is hot. [/sarcasm]
Jokery aside, I suspect that is the exact, profane reason. The majority of the world had some sort of patriarchal society in the recent centuries. As such, what is a turn-on for straight guys = approved, what they dislike or fear = nonono. Sounds reasonable.

~Sylv

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
If you find yourself sexually attracted to both sexes, you're bisexual by definition, end of argument. I've never understood why people even want to debate this except out of fear of what they don't understand or some strange need to validate their own insecurities.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Oh god. Explaining to my girlfriend I'm Bi was a pain for this very reason. What was I supposed to say to her? That I read Yaoi and find more men in the school attractive than women?

She still hasn't fully accepted it. Pisses me off no end.

Calumon: Why can't people do what they want and not be mean?
D:

Your not bisexual!

YOU NEED TO REFIND JESUS! DX

REPENT AND MAY THE MAN IN THE SKY HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL!

OT: Oh god have I offended so many people :p

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
guntotingtomcat said:
MysticToast said:
guntotingtomcat said:
Anyone I've ever been attracted to was a girl. I've never been attracted to someone who is of my gender....
1. I am wiling to bet that there are women out there that you find unattractive. This would suggest that you are not exclusively attracted to gender.
2. I am also wiling to bet that if you met a male who looked exactly like a woman, let us assume a woman with attributes that would normally seem attractive to you, then you would like their physical appearance. This suggests that genitalia has less to do with attraction as does physical attributes.
3. You could suggest that it is exclusively female attributes you find attractive, but that alone suggests that a simple 'left, middle or right' system does not account for the full spectrum of sexuality.
4. Until you have met every man who has ever existed, you cannot claim to say that you will never be attracted to a man (I know you didn't make that claim, I'm just grasping at a point). It is possible that there is an individual out there whose physical attributions and behavior are attractive to you, and that individual may just happen to have a penis.

Ultimately, when I say sexuality doesn't exist, what I mean is that the three sexuality's that society at large claims to exist are unhelpful and overexposed labels at best. Sexuality is a great deal more complicated than penises and vaginas.

Sorry for the essay.
My response to this one is:

I'm a heterosexual because I have decided that I will never have a sexual relationship with a male, or with someone with a penis (whichever you prefer). That's why I think sexuality exists--because I insist that it does.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
mrblakemiller said:
guntotingtomcat said:
MysticToast said:
guntotingtomcat said:

Sorry for the essay.
My response to this one is:

I'm a heterosexual because I have decided that I will never have a sexual relationship with a male, or with someone with a penis (whichever you prefer). That's why I think sexuality exists--because I insist that it does.
Fair enough, but deciding never to have sex isn't sexuality. Sexuality is to do with your desires and attraction. Also, If I insist something exists, like unicorns, doesn't make it true.