Black gamer inconvenience, Xbox vs PS controller

captnb2thep

Dec 30, 2010
I made the mistake of mentioning this on an IGN flame-bait article, so now I'm living with that decision haha. But I wanted actual feedback.

I have always preferred the Playstation controller. In fact, as a black man, I found that literally every Xbox controller I have ever owned, even the OG Xbox, had the rubber on the top of the analog stick (usually the left one) become heavily worn down and scratched/dented/dinged up since we typically have longer fingernails physiologically, just do a Google search of "African American fingernails" if you don't know what I'm talking about. Our nail typically beds start lower and end higher than members of other races and even when well manicured and kept as short comfortably possible , if you look at the edge of the fingernail on black men, it is usually pretty flush with the fingertip when compared to that of other races. (It is also the main reason why black people tend to gravitate more towards bass guitar as opposed to guitar, I play guitar as well). This can cause the soft rubber concave analog stick of Xbox controller to get worn down overtime from heavy use because our thumbnail is literally DIGGING into the rubber and moving up and down with our finger at some points (normally in intense moments in a shooter when you don't want reseat your hand for fear of dying haha), while the hard, rough rubber/plastic convex sticks of Playstation controllers I have never had a problem with. I have seen the same wear and tear on some of my other black friends' 360 analog sticks.

However I have always loved the size of the handles and fit in the hands on the Xbox pads as I have large hands, so it will be interesting to see how the change from convex to concave affects me on the PS4 controller and their longevity. I am actually more concerned with the material of the top of the analog sticks than the ergonomics because I would take a much more durable stick over a slightly more comfortable stick any day. With all that being said, its not that I would HATE Microsoft because of that inconvenience or even refuse to buy the console because of it. Or pull a Kanye and say "Microsoft doesn't care about black people!" about it because that's just ignorant haha. Yet I still feel people judge others just for PREFERRING the playstation controller. I prefer Dualshocks slightly more overall because I know they will stay in good condition longer for me.

I am curious to hear about any other gaming inconveniences that physical differences cause when it comes to enjoying media. For example, I'm sure Sony stayed with a slightly smaller controller design for years because of their Japanese fan-base, who typically have smaller hands. Also before recent design changes it was hard to wear 3D glasses on top of eyeglasses, etc. Anything similar for you?

captnb2thep

Dec 30, 2010
Ponyholder said:
Here are a few things you can do to fix that:

1.) Cut your fingernails.
2.) Buy Kontrol-Freeks.

Physiology has nothing to do with it. My finger-nails grow at an excessive rate where I have to cut them every two to three days. I fixed this issue of wearing my controllers by just cutting my fingernails. It works, trust me.
I would very much like to avoid posting a picture haha but I assure you if my fingernails were any shorter I would cause bleeding for going past the nail bed. I krep my nails very short because i play guitar, so you please trust ME. You do not know my specific situation so I would appreciate it if you didn't speak as such. Everyone is different.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ponyholder said:
Here are a few things you can do to fix that:

1.) Cut your fingernails.
2.) Buy Kontrol-Freeks.

Physiology has nothing to do with it. My finger-nails grow at an excessive rate where I have to cut them every two to three days. I fixed this issue of wearing my controllers by just cutting my fingernails. It works, trust me.
If you read his post, you'd note that he says that his nail-bed ends flush with the ends of his fingers.

I'm looking at my hands, and yeah, I have about two millimeters of flesh beyond where my bitten-off fingernails end.

Now looking over at the black-latina girl sitting next to me... well would you look at that. Her nail-bed ends right at the end of her actual finger, meaning she has literally no flesh beyond the end of her cut-short nail. Would you look at that! The OP is right, her physiology curses her to scratch things forever! D:

Oh lawd, she saw me looking. Great.

OT: The only physical difficulty I have with enjoying media is that every chair I sit on at friends' houses are not designed to accomodate my immense bulk. It's couch, my office chair, or nothing. ;__;

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I find the 3DS XL I just can' find a way to hold comfortably without it hurting my hands after awhile. Probably because it's just a big ass rectangle. Your problems sound a bit worse :p.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
While I like the PS3 controller more for many reasons, but my nails never got in the way of using a 360 controller and I bet mine are way longer than yours. Touchscreens on the other hand give me hell.

The massive size of the 360 controller makes it unwieldy, I can't do a claw grip on it because my fingers don't reach.

captnb2thep

Dec 30, 2010
Here is a picture of my ACTUAL left thumb that is now bleeding haha. I cut it PAST the nail bed just so I could show some clarity. The whitish line is where my nail bed naturally ends, the point where it is comfortable to trim it to. I cut it past the comfortable point and where it is now has caused me to start bleeding under my nail after I took the picture. If you look to where the actual nailbed ends, there is LESS THAN A MILLIMETER of clearance between the end of the nailbed and the fingertip, so my nail is really flush to the tip when I trim them to the shortest comfortable length.

[http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/brandonbpm/media/thumb_zps6b4a48a7.jpg.html]

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
I had a similar issue as the OP, and as suggested above, I found that keeping my nails short and clean helped slow down/remove the wear and tear on my controllers. I also found that every couple hours I would wash my hands and, if playing a FPS, give the controller a quick wipe down. I don't eat food while playing, but I do drink and condinsation from the cup/bottle/can makes the controller moist, and then sticky/gunky if you don't give it a quick wipe. Well at least in my experience.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
My issue with controllers is oddly similar, while being the opposite. I've got spindly spiderfingers, and there never seem to be quite enough plastic to wrap them around without feeling very unfomfortable after a while. If I hold it more space efficiently, my thumbs get in the way of each other and nudges the buttons when I don't want them to. The Dualshock controllers are a right nightmare.

The 360 has been the best of the bunch so far, though. The fins are lovely, and aren't trying to bore through my palms (that much).

I do understand your problem, though. It's really annoying when it's something that comparatively small yet irritating that gets in the way. Perhaps a band-aid or some tissue at the fingertips would help? Like a makeshift thimble?

Uriain said:
I had a similar issue as the OP, and as suggested above, I found that keeping my nails short and clean helped slow down/remove the wear and tear on my controllers. I also found that every couple hours I would wash my hands and, if playing a FPS, give the controller a quick wipe down. I don't eat food while playing, but I do drink and condinsation from the cup/bottle/can makes the controller moist, and then sticky/gunky if you don't give it a quick wipe. Well at least in my experience.
I'm a smoker, it's a lost cause trying to keep them stain free. Keeping them unsticky and responsive is simple, but they will just have to live with the tigerstripes. Perhaps it might put off burglars, though?

captnb2thep

Dec 30, 2010
Muspelheim said:
I do understand your problem, though. It's really annoying when it's something that comparatively small yet irritating that gets in the way. Perhaps a band-aid or some tissue at the fingertips would help? Like a makeshift thimble?
Wow, to be honest I never thought of putting anything on my thumb to help this. That would actually be a very simple yet effective solution, thanks for the suggestion! Gloves could probably help too.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
captnb2thep said:
Muspelheim said:
Wow, to be honest I never thought of putting anything on my thumb to help this. That would actually be a very simple yet effective solution, thanks for the suggestion! Gloves could probably help too.
Nae worries, try around and see what works. Now, there are these little reading thimbles made out of rubber. They're marvellous against paper cuts. Perhaps a pair of those could do it?

Gloves are nice, I used a pair of cheap, fingerless one to lessen the problem with the flippin' dualshock, myself.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
TehCookie said:
While I like the PS3 controller more for many reasons, but my nails never got in the way of using a 360 controller and I bet mine are way longer than yours. Touchscreens on the other hand give me hell.

The massive size of the 360 controller makes it unwieldy, I can't do a claw grip on it because my fingers don't reach.
Do you have small hands? I really like the 360 controller.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Weaver said:
TehCookie said:

Do you have small hands? I really like the 360 controller.
My hands are average for a 5'3" (161cm) woman. Compared to the average man's they're small.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
captnb2thep said:
Here is a picture of my ACTUAL left thumb that is now bleeding haha. I cut it PAST the nail bed just so I could show some clarity. The whitish line is where my nail bed naturally ends, the point where it is comfortable to trim it to. I cut it past the comfortable point and where it is now has caused me to start bleeding under my nail after I took the picture. If you look to where the actual nailbed ends, there is LESS THAN A MILLIMETER of clearance between the end of the nailbed and the fingertip, so my nail is really flush to the tip when I trim them to the shortest comfortable length.

[http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/brandonbpm/media/thumb_zps6b4a48a7.jpg.html]
How do you hold the controller? Have you tried using the bottom of your thumb instead of the tip like this?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I tend to use the pads and sides of my thumbs rather than the tips. Do you angle your thumbs so that the nail points down toward the sticks?
If so you might wanna try training yourself to use other parts of the thumb.
I had to retrain my right thumb to play games because I lost the top 1/3 of my tendon that flexes the thumb so the thumb-tip joint won't flex at all, making it difficult to grip fully with my right hand.
I have since overcome that and developed a crazy-ish unnatural grip that seems stronger somehow... creepy how the body works.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Though I am not black myself, my nail beds are also very close to the tip of my thumbs and have had exactly the same issue as OP. My 360 controllers have deep nail marks in the thumbsticks. I've tried holding them so that my thumb is higher but I find that uncomfortable. What I did was buy rubber thimbles that mail carriers use. They grip really well and are not uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, and unlike tissue or band-aids, are reuseable.

captnb2thep

Dec 30, 2010
Hm, for me having my hands like that would be closer to me controlling the sticks with the first joint/crease of my thumb than the bottom of the thumb pad. I have big hands and awkwardly long fingers so often when I am playing, unless I am moving the stick forward my hands aren't comfortable unless my thumbs are bent in order to have my hands on the handles and thumbs on the sticks at the same time, otherwise I would have to slide my palms slightly off the handles. I don't know, I have always played with bent thumbs on the sticks for as along as I can remember, I hate feeling like I am controlling my sticks with the first joint in my thumb if I keep my thumbs straight based off of how my hands are shaped. But like I said, I like that the 360 controller is larger, however with the material of the dualshock sticks I can have awkward claw grip as much or as little as I want and not wear down my joysticks haha, there isn't much denying on my part that concave sticks are likely better for more people though.