Black gamer inconvenience, Xbox vs PS controller

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Huh. Guess I learned something today. Can't you position your thumbs a bit higher up to prevent this, or is it uncomfortable if you don't have hitch hiker thumbs(as mentioned before)?

As for myself; I got huge hands, just on the border to XXL size for gloves, but it hasn't bothered me all too much. Definetly prefer the 360 controller over the PS one due to this, however it doesn't take long getting used to it.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
So from what I've read, and I'm glad OP has a few suggestions to try as well.... am I the only one who honestly prefers the Playstation controllers?

I'm a large guy with very big hand (shorter fingers and larger palms) but if given the choice I would always go back to the PLaystation controllers over the Xbox, I've never had issues with it, but I don't know of anyone else who feels the same way I do.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Wear gloves.

Solved.

As for me I preffer the XBOX control. Because I don't feel like I'm trying to wring the neck of a sparrow when I'm using the PS3's Dualshock.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I'm going to second (or third?) the idea of Control Freak attachments. I've been using them for a while.
I don't have the physiological issues you do, but my nails grow super fast. If I miss even a week cutting them, my friends start asking me if I'm going to get a French Tip cut. (jerks)

But with the ever changing state of nail sizes, I started using Control Freak adapters a while back and I have had good luck with them. They also give a bit more control by lengthening the stick height just a tad, which seems to make aiming and stuff in Halo seem way more fluid. But I could have just tricked my brain into justifying the purchase, who knows?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Wait . This is a thing. I came in here expected to be mildly offended by something , and i'm going to leave here thinking this is silly . [small] Too bad you don't have white man hands to excel at gaming[/small]

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
Klagnut said:
Well, you learn something new every day :)

Being half-Italian I struggle to spend many hours on any console without it falling for my charms, falling in love with me and it ending up with a red ring of death :p

Seriously though, I have always had quite oily hands and, whilst it doesn't inconvenience me, my mates get annoyed when having to use the controller after me lol. I'm not sure if it's got anything to do with my heritage, but it still happens.
MY BROTHER!!!! PREACH!

sorry, also half Italian, same problems. which is why I bought a dedicated second player controller I never use, keeps it nice and clean and the buttons crispy,

OT: i'm torn on this, it is an interesting fact and I can see your logic there I just find it hard to believe that this is actually an issue. i totally understand hand comfort when playing and for different people that means different things. i don't have overly large hands but i tend to prefer larger controller sizes, my personal favorite being the old xbox duke i bought those up at every gamestop i could find them after they went outa production. on the other hand i have no issues whatsoever with the gamecube controller, it is small but it fits comfortably unlike the psp or vita. i will say one of the weirder things about controllers that get to me is weight. after being an xbox gamer for so long i pick up a ps3 controller and it feels like a toy. i finally bought the larger shoulder buttons and a chat pad for the thing just to get the weight back to where i like it. i mean you prefer what you prefer but they make so many controller accessories now, i believe there is even a company that makes 360 controllers with the exact same layout and feel as a ps3. or you can buy those little 2$ plastic nubs they sell for your controller.

i find this very odd as i have lost the rubber tips of a thumbstick once and that was due to damage to one side from a pet that eventually ballooned into loosing the whole rubber cover. but actually wearing through them. I've seen others do it but i never had that problem with my own. i also replace my controllers on average once every year or every other year when i see a good deal on them.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I did not know that was a thing! I am slightly amused. I wonder if Hendrix had to deal with this? Oh well, not everyone is the same, his magical wonderhands must have overcomethat particular setback.

Seriously though. That man had him some mittens.

captnb2thep

Dec 30, 2010
Latinidiot said:
I did not know that was a thing! I am slightly amused. I wonder if Hendrix had to deal with this? Oh well, not everyone is the same, his magical wonderhands must have overcomethat particular setback.

Well if I can change the subject for a bit haha:

If you know about playing guitar you might know that certain guitarists like Hendrix, Mayer and Frusciante play in a style that was popularized by Hendrix. He usually uses his thumb of his fretting hand to fret the low E string on many chords because it frees up the rest of his fingers and also makes barre chords easier to play. Could have been a way he modified his playing style to play more comfortably, but it definitely killed two birds with one stone if he did because he had big hands and some great riffs came from that hand position mod haha.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
use pads of your thumbs. I was confused at first cause I didn't know people held controllers like that seems hard to be precise lol. For me at least.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
I can't vouch for their effectiveness, but there are some replacement sticks that use all plastic from what I have seen: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-XBOX-360-Controller-Thumbsticks-PAIR/dp/B005ELD3DG/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

As per difficulties, I can't say that this is anything to do with ethnicity, but I have a laptop I game on that will sometimes take an input from the touchpad, even with a mouse attached. Scares the shit out of me.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
sneakypenguin said:
use pads of your thumbs. I was confused at first cause I didn't know people held controllers like that seems hard to be precise lol. For me at least.
Ditto. Could you (OP) post a picture of how you normally hold a 360 controller? I'm not denying that the edges of the sticks wear away easily or that physiology might play a role in it, but it may help answer some questions and preconceptions by posting (another) picture.

As for myself, the battery pack in the back tends to be the source of my ire for the controller (still prefer it to the PS3 one though). After half a year of ownership it has somehow managed to lose its ability to lock in place properly, and it tends to disconnects my controller during multiplayer sessions. A bit of scotch tape fixes it easily enough, but I have to remove and re-tape every time I wish to change batteries. Still, the controller is only $30-40 so perhaps I should just bite the bullet and just buy a new one.

Jul 5, 2009
Klagnut said:
nightmare_gorilla said:
Klagnut said:
Well, you learn something new every day :)

Being half-Italian I struggle to spend many hours on any console without it falling for my charms, falling in love with me and it ending up with a red ring of death :p

Seriously though, I have always had quite oily hands and, whilst it doesn't inconvenience me, my mates get annoyed when having to use the controller after me lol. I'm not sure if it's got anything to do with my heritage, but it still happens.
MY BROTHER!!!! PREACH!

sorry, also half Italian, same problems. which is why I bought a dedicated second player controller I never use, keeps it nice and clean and the buttons crispy,
Lol, actually quite comforting to know I'm not the only one. The most noticeable time it affects me is when drinking out of clear glasses (usually at the pub having a pint). My mates glasses stay fairly clear, whereas mine ends up a cloudy fog of grease lol. I've taken many controllers apart in the past to clean them because of it - it's unreal the amount of gunk that builds up.

Ah well, at least my skin still looks very youthful :)
Quarter-Italian and same problem, as well as sweaty hands, for double the disgusting. The grease also makes dirt clumps build up quite fast on my keyboard.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
captnb2thep said:
Here is a picture of my ACTUAL left thumb that is now bleeding haha. I cut it PAST the nail bed just so I could show some clarity. The whitish line is where my nail bed naturally ends, the point where it is comfortable to trim it to. I cut it past the comfortable point and where it is now has caused me to start bleeding under my nail after I took the picture. If you look to where the actual nailbed ends, there is LESS THAN A MILLIMETER of clearance between the end of the nailbed and the fingertip, so my nail is really flush to the tip when I trim them to the shortest comfortable length.

[http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/brandonbpm/media/thumb_zps6b4a48a7.jpg.html]
I still don't see how your nail would touch the controller... I mean, imagine girls with actually long nails... Nah, it's the way you're holding the controller man, it's not a nail problem lol.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
captnb2thep said:
Latinidiot said:

Well if I can change the subject for a bit haha:

If you know about playing guitar you might know that certain guitarists like Hendrix, Mayer and Frusciante play in a style that was popularized by Hendrix. He usually uses his thumb of his fretting hand to fret the low E string on many chords because it frees up the rest of his fingers and also makes barre chords easier to play. Could have been a way he modified his playing style to play more comfortably, but it definitely killed two birds with one stone if he did because he had big hands and some great riffs came from that hand position mod haha.
Yes, of course! that makes great sense. I don't know, I enjoy playing Hendrix and RHCP, so I hadn't actually thought about it that way. Did you know that he slept with bits of wood between his fingers, to stretch his hand.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
TehCookie said:
How do you hold the controller? Have you tried using the bottom of your thumb instead of the tip like this?
I honestly thought the way you suggest was the only way to hold a controller.

I'm pretty sure me and my white hands would actually cause some wear if I held it with my thumbs stabbing it too... I also imagine it must be quite uncomfortable...