Black Ops II Day 1 Preorders Already Beating MW3's

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Black Ops II Day 1 Preorders Already Beating MW3's

Black Ops II has ten times more first-day preorders than Black Ops I.

Every year, the annual Call of Duty outperforms its predecessors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114249-Modern-Warfare-3-Breaks-Every-Sales-Record-Known-to-Man] and every year, gamers, journalists and analysts alike wonder if the franchise's success has peaked. When will the yearly Call of Duty sell fewer games than the one that came a year before?

If we're going by preorders, it won't be this year. When the recently-revealed Call of Duty: Black Ops II went up for order [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-II-Pc/dp/B007XVTR12/] on Amazon.com, it chalked up a whopping ten times more preorders in a single day than the first-day preorders of 2010's Call of Duty: Black Ops. Those are some big numbers, but what's arguably more impressive is that Black Ops II also beat first-day preorders of Modern Warfare 3 by about 30%.

Given that Modern Warfare 3 currently holds the record for Amazon's most preordered game, and in fact made it into the retail giant's top 20 preorders of all time - including other things like books and movies - this is a pretty incredible showing for Treyarch's latest turn at the helm.

Of course, there's a lot of time between now and the November 13, 2012 release date, and it's possible that Black Ops II preorders and interest might lessen over time. It still could very well be the game that breaks Call of Duty's upward climb, but judging by this I wouldn't be betting on that.

Check out what's new in Black Ops II in our big summation post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117057-All-You-Need-to-Know-About-Black-Ops-II].

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Might be the future aspect which sets this apart from the previous CODs and so is racking up the pre-orders, regardless I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this one though a purchase isn't assured yet as I got bored in parts of MW3.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i just can't understand it. how is it possible for a series to be this successful year after year when the game is in a gameplay viewpoint exactly the same. i will say that the trailer was interesting and that the SP looks promising (for a cod game), but we all know that most of those players are pre-ordering the game for the Multiplayer. they don't even have to now if it will be any good of new, if the name is call of duty, they buy it. they are not even demanding/asking for new changes... i just don't get it.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
I wonder if it was the drones out of Frontlines: Fuels of war, the vehicles out of the Command and Conquer: Tiberium series, the horse scene that just can't stop reminding me of Uncharted 3, the explosion in Las Vegas that brings back memories of Rainbow Six Vegas or the fact that the new hero is from Jersey shore that got them all these preorders.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
blackdwarf said:
i just can't understand it. how is it possible for a series to be this successful year after year when the game is in a gameplay viewpoint exactly the same. i will say that the trailer was interesting and that the SP looks promising (for a cod game), but we all know that most of those players are pre-ordering the game for the Multiplayer. they don't even have to now if it will be any good of new, if the name is call of duty, they buy it. they are not even demanding/asking for new changes... i just don't get it.
Marketing and franchise loyalty, theyre fairly powerful forces.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
blackdwarf said:
We enjoy the multiplayer. Haven't preordered yet, but will soon.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
blackdwarf said:
Have you ever stopped to ponder whether this is precisely why so many people buy it? They enjoy the gameplay?

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Apparently they've already released the zombie mode.
What does that mean, really cause thats the only thing I care about In BLOP's II... CYBER PUNKED ZOMBIES, OH YEAH!!!

OT: I'm really not surprised here, COD is a snowball, just gathering momentum and more snow. I feel like its appropriate to use the neutron star collapsing under its own weight metaphor here, but I think that will be around the same time that happens to our sun.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The amount of a money factory this series is, is retarded, the last really good one was cod 4, the rest are just have bombastic single player games that have no sense of pacing and the multi is an over priced map pack.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Worgen said:
The amount of a money factory this series is, is retarded, the last really good one was cod 4, the rest are just have bombastic single player games that have no sense of pacing and the multi is an over priced map pack.
I've got about 5 days play time on MW3 and I'm still ranked something like 1.2million out of ~15 million. That would suggest there's over a million players who have clocked at least 120hrs on multiplayer alone. A lot of people have 30-40days worth of playtime just in a 5 month period. How many single, or even multiplayer games give that many people that much decent gameplay time? That's not even including ~8hrs per playthrough of the campaign and countless more in spec-ops.

I know I've spent $100 on a game and got sick of it literally 20 minutes in (multiple times.) I think people just want to get there money's worth.

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
I think if the next COD is MW4 or takes place in WW2 then the sales will start to drop. OT:I'm not surprised one bit.

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Scrumpmonkey said:
Snipper Attack.
Pretty much this. At the end of the day though I sort of have respect for the COD franchise not because it tries to be artsy or anything but because it doesn't try to hide what it is. A franchise specifically to suck as much money out of the games industry and its customers as possible, sort of like a virsu really.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Given Black-Ops's success, Zombies's popularity, and Modern Warfare 3's overall disappointment, it isn't surprising why people are putting so much faith in Treyarch to deliver the best CoD experience to date.

And, tbh, I'm all open for a futuristic Cold War setting, so count me as part of the crowd caught into the hype.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
oh my god, why am i not surprised at all?

i think we all know that the SP is the least cared about part of COD and the MP is the one which is always looked at.
lets face it, the SP is crap wile the MP is actually fun more or less. i have to admit, it does sound all interesting and some of the minor changes like these for example:

Removed

No MOAB or Nuke
No last stand
No death streaks
No flame thrower attachment

more here; http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/29/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-rumoured-multiplayer-and-release-date-details-hit-official-forums/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

could make the MP enjoyable.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well, Mr. Miracle of Sound, they finally got rid of Second Chance.

OT: To quote from the GI article on the campaign "the changes Treyarch is making to the campaign structure are among the most significant yet. Fans have been calling for the series to make a substantial step forward for several installments now, and all signs point to it happening in this fall?s release."

See, believe it or not, the people at Treyarch and Infinity Ward aren't all robots and corporate puppets, some of them actually want to make something good. Maybe this time they'll be able to.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
I can't even really blame Activision anymore. If you had the chance to soak up millions of dollars by releasing the same game every year with only minor changes wouldn't you?