Black Ops II Designer Thinks Gamers "Should All Play Multiplayer"

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Black Ops II Designer Thinks Gamers "Should All Play Multiplayer"

The fact that not everyone experiences Call of Duty's multiplayer "bugs the shit out of" its developers.

The Call of Duty games might be known for their robust multiplayer modes, but some gamers prefer to explore the campaign solo, forgoing the multiplayer experience for a solitary one. Black Ops II Design Director David Vonderhaar doesn't like that. In a recent interview, Vonderhaar discussed the return of Combat Training mode in Black Ops II, which he hopes will get more gamers to experience the rest of the game's multiplayer offerings.

"As popular as Call of Duty is, there are a lot of people who don't play multiplayer," he said. "And quite frankly, this bugs the shit out of us. They should all play multiplayer. And Combat Training helps us get there." Vonderhaar detailed the new features added to Combat Training, like integrating training progress with a player's "real" multiplayer rank. He went on to discuss fighting bots in Combat Training, saying, "as a new player, that's really rewarding."

It's nice that the developers of Black Ops II are trying to ease new players into the competitive multiplayer realm of Call of Duty, but Vonderhaar seems to be ignoring the fact that some gamers just prefer to play alone. Combat Training for new players should serve as a good learning tool, but no matter how much it bugs Vonderhaar, multiplayer is not for everyone.

Source: One of Swords [http://oneofswords.com/2012/09/in-deeper-with-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-multiplayer/]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well make an all multiplayer COD game then, or stop telling people what they should or shouldn't do with the product that they bought.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
If Activision employ a PR department, shouldn't they sort of put a lid on these kind of quotes?

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Well if your player base stops being a bunch of 4 year olds who do nothing but t-bag corpses and do nothing but insult each other, then maybe I would buy a COD game. Since it is essentially just the MP being sold for $60 every year, hell why not just make it an MMOFPS at this rate, charging people $15 a month would net you a lot more money than making a "new game" every year.

P.S I rarely encountered anyone but said "4 year olds", yes I know that not everyone is an ass but that's just my experience with it,so don't flame me

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Well, as soon as they make their version of Tribes: Ascend, I will think about playing it. Until then... gotta go fast.

I hate games slow as CoD.

Apr 28, 2008
Have you played with the COD community? Why in the world would I want to play with those people?

I'll stick with bots, thank you very much. They're much more pleasant to be around.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Experience COD multiplayer? Now would that be the generic, bland gameplay, or the 12 year olds hurling the word "******" as often as grenades :p

Joking aside, I'm more of a single player person myself.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Maybe if they designed their multiplayer better to be something I'd have a single interest in playing, then I would. And who's fault is that, Mr. Game Designer?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Multiplayer is great, I really do love it. I love the competition, the thrill of competing against others and so on.

Sometimes however I just want a solo experience, I just want to enjoy a solo adventure amplified often with my own imagination. Different kinds of play style, neither one better than the other.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I know it would never happen but it would be nice if BO2's release got some massive bug that disabled multiplayer for a week and poor david would have to watch everyone play single player and complain how crappy it is. I can still dream it. :)

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
...is there a single freaking person in the game industry with common sense!?

And before anyone says Valve, if they had common sense, TF2 would actually be a game instead of a hat sim.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Anyone got a shotgun to this person face? Anyone? ah blarg it.

One thing that needs to happen to mutiplayer modes in games, is better matching up equally skilled and gear people, and for people to be overall nicer to one another in such games.

The latter I doubt will happen anytime soon.

Finally, games should only have mutiplayer if it fits the games settings, like wow, halo, lol. Not every game need said mode (points to single player rpgs.)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
And it bugs the shit out of me that you included a multiplayer trophy that says I have to get to level 50. So we can't all have what we want, can we? I'll play your multiplayer, but not because I want to. Because I have to. You had it right in Black Ops: one or two trophies for multiplayer that were easy to obtain. Then, if the player decided they liked it, they could keep playing of their own free will. Now, with the trophy that says you must Prestige once, I'm forced to play it all the way to the end. And if sniping someone still takes two to three shots like it did in Black Ops, I'm not going to enjoy it.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009

sooo.... it legitimately bugs you that not every one of your millions of customers play multiplayer.

You have the most bloated and popular online game (barring WoW of course) and it bugs you that it's not more?

I have no words for how much I can't understand that mindset...

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
"everyone should have my opinion and taste!"

Nothing to see here people, just another ignorant mad man