Black Panther Teaser Trailer

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
<YouTube=dxWvtMOGAhw>

Well, there it is.

Looks cool, but they didn't really show much. I'm hoping Gollum turns out to be a good villain, because man am I tired if shitty ones. The African vibe is pretty cool too. Wakanda looks like an interesting place.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm having a hard time understanding what is going on in the trailer other than the start, explaining what Wakanda is.

I suppose I will have to give it some time for the future trailers to reveal the whole plot liek they did with Spider-man.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You mean we're finally going to see Andy Serkis for more than five minutes in a movie?! Holy. Shit.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, that looked...appropriately bonkers. Not much of an MCU fan, but I'll give credit where credit is due.

Two thoughts:

a) If Wakanda is so advanced (more so than the rest of the world), is the secrecy even needed? As in, you could just say, "yes, we have more advanced tech than you, so piss off if you don't want your atoms scattered." Might make their lives easier.

b) Why do I have the feeling that racist arseholes lurking on the Internet are going to see this and cry foul at some conspiracy theory (a black nation in Africa that's more advanced than ours? Racist! Racist! It's promoting white genocide!")? Ugh. :(

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh... yeah, that'll do.

Still pretty lukewarm on the MCU in general, but it's undeniably fun to watch them conjure appealing entertainment from the goofiest crap and make it look so effortless.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

I think this may be unintentionally setting itself up for some controversy. It definitely has style to it, and I'm hoping the complicated interior politics and power struggle that defined Priest's era is what drives this story. And let us hope that nothing from Hudlin's era comes within a thousand yards of it. This may sound like the most common sense thing someone working on this could think, but given how Marvel has been acting lately they may be willing to make a terrible movie to push something given they're willing to make terrible comics to push things.

On that note the place really does seem to have some visual character, so I'm glad they didn't jut go with an actual African city and just add a few CG buildings to it to make it look bigger since, while more realistic, isn't interesting to look at.

Cities really don't have enough visual distinction for anything built after the turn of the previous century when you get right down to it.

I keep going on about how the city looks, but that's because I can't really do much else given we aren't really being given anything in that trailer.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
I'm having a hard time understanding what is going on in the trailer other than the start, explaining what Wakanda is.

I suppose I will have to give it some time for the future trailers to reveal the whole plot liek they did with Spider-man.
Hawki said:
Well, that looked...appropriately bonkers. Not much of an MCU fan, but I'll give credit where credit is due.

Two thoughts:

a) If Wakanda is so advanced (more so than the rest of the world), is the secrecy even needed? As in, you could just say, "yes, we have more advanced tech than you, so piss off if you don't want your atoms scattered." Might make their lives easier.

b) Why do I have the feeling that racist arseholes lurking on the Internet are going to see this and cry foul at some conspiracy theory (a black nation in Africa that's more advanced than ours? Racist! Racist! It's promoting white genocide!")? Ugh. :(
The source of Wakanda's advanced society, and secrecy is they have the only source of Vibranium in the world. (Vibranium is a powerful fictional Marvel metal)

Serkis' character, Ulysses Klaue aka Klaw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaw_(Marvel_Comics) is after that vibranium.

The plot of the movie is presumably as simple as Klaw wants the vibranium, and Tchalla, as the leader of Wakanda and the current Black Panther, it is his sworn duty to stop it. Also presumably, Klaw will reveal alot of Wakanda's secrets forcing them into the world's spotlight.

And remember, this is Comic Book world. In reality, Im sure they would not be so secretive, but thats not how the comics did it, so here we are.

Ofcourse racist asshole conspiracy theorists are gonna have an issue with shit. Fuck them and move on.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Yeah...that felt more like an actual trailer than a teaser trailer. Count me as tentatively hopeful though. I will admit to being a bit surprised by the character with the lip plate. That's something I never expected to see in a big Hollywood production.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Now that is some nuAfrica aesthetic. Trailer looks baller. I see a lot of folks unbelievably hyped around social media, so hopefully Marvel doesn't screw it up.

And I'm glad to see Watson in a show where he'll probably get to do shit.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
inu-kun said:
There's a lot of potential for interesting political ideas in the film... But none of them paint Wakanda in a good light and that being Marvel I doubt we'll see any of them (plus they'd need thinking). Wakanda is kinda the personification of everything bad in the west the last few years taken to 11 (unless they make some huge changes from the comics): Rampant nepotism (the hero can function purely because he has royal blood and money with it), hoarding important life saving/improving technology for their own use, isolanism (if they had the technology back then for weapons they could have saved millions in WW2 or Slaughters in Africa) and Xenophobia (if really it stayed hidden it means they didn't let anyone in, like Trump).
I dunno, I think having the leader of the country actually protect their people themselves is rather admirable. Imagine if Trump had to actually help people? Not send someone else, not pay someone else, but actually get his ass out of his resorts and risk his life.

Also anyone can challenge the ruler for the position.

The isolation and stuff like that though is from what Ive seen not usually super endorsed. Black Panther tends to have to learn that relying on others, even outsiders, can be a good thing.

Generally the worry by Wakanda is that people will use their technology and resources (Vibranium) for evil. Characters like Klaw tend to prove them right.

I usually do not support isolationism, but this isnt a Comic Book world. I'd imagine Id have alot of different views if super heroes...and villains were real.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Positives:
A marvel trailer that wasn't jokey. They might actually stray from the tried and true Iron Man 1 formula for the 15th time and that's GREAT! Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the humor in marvel movies but when every movie feels the same its awful and it HAS been awful for several years now. I more action/drama/intrigue focused movie would be a welcome change.

Negatives:
Hello Hype? Where are you?
This trailer is certainly competent but if the goal was to get me excited for something it completely failed. I was 100% neutral. Not excited, not offended, not intrigued but not bored either. Just a 'meh' trailer all around. I wasn't planning on watching this in theaters to begin with and the trailer really helps justify the decision to wait until Netflix or skip altogether for the time being.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
inu-kun said:
Saelune said:
inu-kun said:
There's a lot of potential for interesting political ideas in the film... But none of them paint Wakanda in a good light and that being Marvel I doubt we'll see any of them (plus they'd need thinking). Wakanda is kinda the personification of everything bad in the west the last few years taken to 11 (unless they make some huge changes from the comics): Rampant nepotism (the hero can function purely because he has royal blood and money with it), hoarding important life saving/improving technology for their own use, isolanism (if they had the technology back then for weapons they could have saved millions in WW2 or Slaughters in Africa) and Xenophobia (if really it stayed hidden it means they didn't let anyone in, like Trump).
I dunno, I think having the leader of the country actually protect their people themselves is rather admirable. Imagine if Trump had to actually help people? Not send someone else, not pay someone else, but actually get his ass out of his resorts and risk his life.

The isolation and stuff like that though is from what Ive seen not usually super endorsed. Black Panther tends to have to learn that relying on others, even outsiders, can be a good thing.

Generally the worry by Wakanda is that people will use their technology and resources (Vibranium) for evil. Characters like Klaw tend to prove them right.

I usually do not support isolationism, but this isnt a Comic Book world. I'd imagine Id have alot of different views if super heroes...and villains were real.
I always seen the idea of challenging the ruller to be only good on paper. I mean challenge him in what? A trial of knowledge? A trial of strength? In both cases there's clear advantage to other nobles rather than the people (access to better tutors and food), making the rule just a round robin of aristocrats without any real chance for the common people.

Also the problem with the fear of people using Vibranium for evil strikes me hypocritical when they themselves use it rather than sealing it somewhere. After all if they can't trust others how they know their own people won't misuse it in couple of decades?
Maybe they tackled these issues in the comics? I am not a Black Panther expert.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Saelune said:
Ofcourse racist asshole conspiracy theorists are gonna have an issue with shit. Fuck them and move on.

Seriously, this kind of racist shit is completely unacceptable, anyone going along with these people should be ashamed of themselves.

Personally? Meh? The whole "Africa is future now, but, nobody knew!" thing is just a little bit too... Unbelievable.

Majestic_Manatee

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2017
Country
Wales
The Lunatic said:
Saelune said:

Seriously, this kind of racist shit is completely unacceptable, anyone going along with these people should be ashamed of themselves.

Personally? Meh? The whole "Africa is future now, but, nobody knew!" thing is just a little bit too... Unbelievable.
How much trawling through Twitter did it take to get to this totally unknown and uninfluencial person? Dare we ask to look for the other side of this? Or would that be too inconvenient? A comic book story only now reaching your limit of belief in this situation is so very telling. Hopefully it was just a joke at your own expense.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
inu-kun said:
Saelune said:
inu-kun said:
Saelune said:
inu-kun said:

I always seen the idea of challenging the ruller to be only good on paper. I mean challenge him in what? A trial of knowledge? A trial of strength? In both cases there's clear advantage to other nobles rather than the people (access to better tutors and food), making the rule just a round robin of aristocrats without any real chance for the common people.

Also the problem with the fear of people using Vibranium for evil strikes me hypocritical when they themselves use it rather than sealing it somewhere. After all if they can't trust others how they know their own people won't misuse it in couple of decades?
Maybe they tackled these issues in the comics? I am not a Black Panther expert.
There's a possibility, He's kinda a C-lister if I recall so I also don't know much. Seems a bit of a Batman+Iron Man ripoff. Speaking which, it would be pretty awesome if we had Stan Lee's Batman film.
I'm not as up on Black Panther as my other Marvel heroes but Wakanda is ruled by a single family, so the parent teaches the child not to be dicks with vibranium. They do mine it and store it though.

Black Panther gets super powers by eating herbs, not through blood or a suit. He can speak to and get advice from his ancestors ghosts.

In the comics Wakanda is still super isolationist and the Avengers are constantly telling Panther that he's a cock when he gets uncooperative and the worlds problems are Wakanda's problems as well. He puts the welfare of Wakanda before just about everything else. The citizens live in a literal Utopia, why would they challenge the ruling body?

Also I don't think the racism consipracy will be a thing. They aren't deviating from the comics, so the fans won't complain so certain media outlets can't construe peoples objections as racist.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Hawki said:
Would it? Who do you think the first nation to try to fuck with Wakanda would be? I'll give you a hint - they're fat, loud, obnoxious and think they're exceptional because they have some things that they think are unique to them, but in reality the rest of the civilized world has those things as well, and they cultivate them much better.

Hawki said:
Well that's pretty much a given, so just ignore those people like they don't exist.