Black Seventh Grader has Police Called for playing with his Zombie *Toy* Gun in His Own Home During Virtual Learning

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What I could understand is a teacher saying that a toy gun is not appropriate for the "learning space", ie the stream of the virtual classroom, and ask that it be put away. Have a parent-teacher conference and school disciplinary action if the child doesn't comply (and let's be honest, 7th graders are shitheads).

Call the police, though? Like, maybe if the kid was brandishing the gun and threatening his classmates or teacher, but if its just out or in his hands, c'mon.
^This. The child, whether one feels he should have the gun or not, possessed nothing illegal; involving the police for possessing something legal in his own home was a hyperbolic reaction to the nth degree.

Clearly not a NERF gun.

As far as I know, you can't buy any "real" guns with lime green accents and orange tips that purposefully denote their "not real-ness," so whatever "threat" that teacher felt merited police involvement is instantly mitigated by the facts in play. If that's not the case, my girlfriend's son is sitting on a literal arsenal of airsoft weaponry that my black ass should probably distance itself from posthaste. He's got pistols, a shotgun, a sniper rifle and those little white pellets can be found in every corner of this house.

Danger or potential lethality of a toy gun (yes, it's a toy; it serves no purpose save for entertainment) notwithstanding, one cannot deny a clear and overt overreaction by an authority that you'd hope has nothing but a child's best interest in mind, but clearly couldn't wait to make an asteroid out of a pebble in this case.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
What I could understand is a teacher saying that a toy gun is not appropriate for the "learning space", ie the stream of the virtual classroom, and ask that it be put away. Have a parent-teacher conference and school disciplinary action if the child doesn't comply (and let's be honest, 7th graders are shitheads).

Call the police, though? Like, maybe if the kid was brandishing the gun and threatening his classmates or teacher, but if its just out or in his hands, c'mon.
I can't even understand disciplinary action for just having it when he is literally in his room. So if he was sitting in his living room doing his virtual learning and there was a samurai sword on the wall behind him he would be in trouble for that too? When kids are in their home, it's their home.

I can understand if they tell him to put it away and they don't comply then to address it as being distracted, and treat it no different than a fidget spinner or whatever stupid thing kids mess with. Not treat them like they are some sort of criminal over being a kid playing with toys.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Got the full story from my dad. The BB bounced off his eye and caused a blind spot. Retinal detachment is what he says

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
^This. The child, whether one feels he should have the gun or not, possessed nothing illegal; involving the police for possessing something legal in his own home was a hyperbolic reaction to the nth degree.

As far as I know, you can't buy any "real" guns with lime green accents and orange tips that purposefully denote their "not real-ness," so whatever "threat" that teacher felt merited police involvement is instantly mitigated by the facts in play. If that's not the case, my girlfriend's son is sitting on a literal arsenal of airsoft weaponry that my black ass should probably distance itself from posthaste. He's got pistols, a shotgun, a sniper rifle and those little white pellets can be found in every corner of this house.

Danger or potential lethality of a toy gun (yes, it's a toy; it serves no purpose save for entertainment) notwithstanding, one cannot deny a clear and overt overreaction by an authority that you'd hope has nothing but a child's best interest in mind, but clearly couldn't wait to make an asteroid out of a pebble in this case.
From what I understand, there is a problem with looking at the color of a gun and determining that that means it's not real as some people will deliberately spray paint their gun to make it look like a toy. Not that I believe they should have thought that the case here.

But at any rate, what exactly was he doing with the toy gun and what kind of video footage was the teacher able to see? What did the police do when they arrived at the house anyway? This all seems like an overreaction from everyone except the police who were just doing their job.

Got the full story from my dad. The BB bounced off his eye and caused a blind spot. Retinal detachment is what he says
A kid from my highschool also was blind in one eye because a cat clawed it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Understood. My childhood friend was shot in the head with a BB gun; thought someone had tossed a rock and hit him, but when the wound continued to bleed, he took a trip to urgent care where they found a BB lodged in his temple. Doesn't change the fact that a dangerous toy is still a toy and NOT a "weapon" worth calling the cops and marring a child's permanent record over.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
From what I understand, there is a problem with looking at the color of a gun and determining that that means it's not real as some people will deliberately spray paint their gun to make it look like a toy. Not that I believe they should have thought that the case here.

But at any rate, what exactly was he doing with the toy gun and what kind of video footage was the teacher able to see? What did the police do when they arrived at the house anyway? This all seems like an overreaction from everyone except the police who were just doing their job.

A kid from my highschool also was blind in one eye because a cat clawed it.
They said the teacher told the Vice Principal it was a toy gun. The Vice Principal is who overreacted. They said from the video footage he wasn't even waving it around or pointing it he just moved it. They said they charged him with having a facsimile of a gun at school. HE WAS IN HIS OWN ROOM. He wasn't charged with threatening anyone or anything like that. A FACSIMILE OF A FIREARM AT SCHOOL. So if A Parent has any sort of weapon real or fake on the wall behind where their computer sits when they do virtual learning they can be charged to? Swords and shields? Civil war weapons? Viking Axe collection? Larp or Cosplay? This is wrong on so many levels.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Kids should neither be playing with BB guns, nor cats.
Anime never hurts you.
If he had an anime cosplay sword on the wall in his own house he could have been charged with having a Facsimile of a weapon at school as well according to the charges.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The fuck is wrong with you two?

Kid was penalised for "bringing a gun to school" for having a toy gun in his living room.

A suspension, and a permanent record for owning a toy gun in his own home.

And one of you is arguing over the technicality of the toy gun, while the other is offering information about how dangerous the toy can be "for what it's worth".

Are you guys really that rooted in opposing your political rivals that this is how things play out?
You forgot the big point - the kid is black.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I have had so many weapon collections over the years, swords, axes, shields. They are still boxed right now due to a recent move, but WOW. . I can't imagine a kid getting in trouble for something just because you legally have it in your own home. They should not be able to charge him for having something at school when it was in his own home and he wasn't even threatening anyone.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
They said the teacher told the Vice Principal it was a toy gun. The Vice Principal is who overreacted. They said from the video footage he wasn't even waving it around or pointing it he just moved it. They said they charged him with having a facsimile of a gun at school. HE WAS IN HIS OWN ROOM. He wasn't charged with threatening anyone or anything like that. A FACSIMILE OF A FIREARM AT SCHOOL. So if A Parent has any sort of weapon real or fake on the wall behind where their computer sits when they do virtual learning they can be charged to? Swords and shields? Civil war weapons? Viking Axe collection? Larp or Cosplay? This is wrong on so many levels.
Yep, sounds pretty dumb.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Clearly not a NERF gun.

It's a BB gun apparently.

However I will say this is stupid on so many levels

1) It's an orange tipped gun, that literally is an indication it's a toy of some kind not a real lethal firearm
2) It was during online lessons
3) they suspended him for it. Like really you're suspending a kid from online lessons because he happened to show a BB gun on video at one point? Like what? Why?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
It's a BB gun apparently.

However I will say this is stupid on so many levels

1) It's an orange tipped gun, that literally is an indication it's a toy of some kind not a real lethal firearm
2) It was during online lessons
3) they suspended him for it. Like really you're suspending a kid from online lessons because he happened to show a BB gun on video at one point? Like what? Why?
Worse than that he has a record with the police department for having a FACSIMILE of a firearm at school, when he legally had his toy gun in his own home.
How is that going to look to employers and universities? They were willing to screw up this kids life for this.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Worse than that he has a record with the police department for having a FACSIMILE of a firearm at school, when he legally had his toy gun in his own home.
How is that going to look to employers and universities? They were willing to screw up this kids life for this.
It's madness

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I agree. If the vice principal is trying to cover the rear end of the school, they are doing it at the expense of a child who did nothing wrong. And as Sonic would say, "That's. No gooood!"

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
How is that going to look to employers and universities?
I think you over-estimate the whole "permanent record" thing. I'd wager that nobody is ever going to see that.
It's not a felony conviction, or anything.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I think you over-estimate the whole "permanent record" thing. I'd wager that nobody is ever going to see that.
It's not a felony conviction, or anything.
They can still see it unless you pay to have it sealed. My brother couldn't afford to have his sealed, and it can impact your ability to get scholarships and employment. Minor stuff that happened to my brother when he was 13 came up while trying to get a job at a dealership. On top of that, it is all over the news so university researchers and employers will definitely find it regardless. Jobs in dealerships, banks, schools, airlines and many other fields look all the way back regardless.

Oh and just how minor it was? He was sent to to the principal for telling a joke in class then he locked himself in the principals office because the principal wasn't in there when he got there and was telling jokes over the intercom. The school had him charged for that as well.

Last edited: