Blasphemy! Covers that you like more than the original.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
I know it's not very original but I love Jose Gonzalez's Heartbeats, damn you Bones for making me feel emotion again

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Oh shit, almost forgot.

<youtube=xcHiFB_aFm8>

I don't care what anyone says, this version rocks. Warning: turn up the quality to 480, it sounds shit on any lower.

Weealzabob

Jun 4, 2011
letfireraindown said:
.[/youtube]

Amazing how Shatner gives this song so much more emotion than the original.
See I disagree. While Shatner had a stroke of brilliance with his cover of that song, and it's equally as good as the original, I still think that Jarvis Cocker's vocals are far more affecting, and emotional than Shatner's version.

On-Topic.
Most of the songs I would mention are already here. (99 red balloons, Hurt) So I'll just say that Biffy Clyro's cover of Take Me Out by Frans Ferdinand is excellent.

. [/youtube]

targren

May 13, 2009
Hammerfall's cover of Dio's "Man on the Silver Mountain" (but only just slightly. They both live in my "best songs" playlist)

PrinceBuffoon

Nov 29, 2011
Every cover on A Perfect Circle's eMOTIVe album except for "What's Going On". And personally, I prefer the original "Hurt" by NiN, though my reasoning may not be fair. Standing alone, I suppose Cash's version is better in some ways, but I think of the original in terms of the entire album, which I think is incredible. The Downward Spiral is one of the darkest and most well-produced albums I've heard in my entire life.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Well to be honest ,...

I enjoy this version more than the song it was 'parodied' from.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
nikki191 said:
johnny cash's hurt is still one of the most amazing covers ever, trent from NIN actually said thats as far as hes concerned its a johnny cash song now

mad world by gary jules is better than the cures version
Mad World is a Tears for Fears song.

OT: I like Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah best, and I'm inclined to say that Bruce Springsteen's version of Jersey Girl manages to be even more evocative than Tom Waits' original.

Also, I don't think this is better than the original, but I definitely like it just as much...

[youtube:pdTSGjEFob8]

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
OmniscientOstrich said:

I just found the original of this to be increadibly tepid, while this version offers a heavier, more crushing instrumentation along with Hetfield's more sinister vocals does a much better job at conveying the tone the original was trying to impart. So well done Metallica (but I still think your cover of Whiskey in the Jar is just bland >.>).
I can't take it seriously because when he's saying 'Don't cry to me, oh baby' it has always sounded like 'no fried tomato baby' to me.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
I can't take it seriously because when he's saying 'Don't cry to me, oh baby' it has always sounded like 'no fried tomato baby' to me.
Hmm, perhaps on a subconscious level I like the song for sharing my dispassion for grilled fruit? But yeah, I can't really take Machine Head's Imperium seriously for similar reasons after seeing one of those misheard lyrics videos.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
Lessee...
Epica's cover of Replica by Fear Factory

Lacuna Coil's cover of Losing my Religion by REM

And who could possibly forget Children of Bodom's cover of Oops I did it Again by Britney Spears

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
No way I am going to check those three pages in the middle on this slow ass connection, so don't flame if this appeared first.

Better than the Alphaville version because I don't like their vocals nor their instrumental.

I love the original version but this one is better.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I always preferred Lenny Kravitz's cover of American Woman over the Guess Who's version.

I don't know why I prefer Kravitz's version. The Guess Who's version is much more more refined and definitely harder sounding, but Kravitz's electric guitar and vocals are just much easier to jam out to.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
A Perfect Circle's cover of Imagine and Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt come to mind. I also like the covers from Nirvana's Unplugged set.

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
All Along the Watchtower, the Hendrix version.
Black Magic Woman. Santana over Fleetwood Mac.
Respect. That's right, my friends. The song that made Aretha Franklin famous was a cover.
Come Together. I prefer Aerosmith's cover over the Beatles' original, mainly because it was the first Aerosmith song I ever heard.
Hurt. Hell, even Trent Reznor likes Johnny Cash's version better than his own.