Bleszinski: Gears Became a Negative Stereotype

Feb 13, 2008

Some people really don't understand what they read.

I was howling with laughter over "some of the game's more intellectual themes got lost during the design process." though.

Yeah, and someone missed the subtle romance of Blue Velvet.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
"the game's more intellectual themes..." Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa....heheheheh. I really have nothing much more to add than mocking laughter. I liked the first game because you could ruin peoples days BY USING A CHAINSAW GUN! If you want "Intellectual themes" and have 80 hours to spare, play MGS.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Hm...I got that from the books. They were trying to do something more than the video games were. And I don't care what you say, that scene in Gears 2 is heartbreaking. That struck a cord with me, so there were moments in the series where I saw deeper emotions.
Unfortunately, reading the books ruined the final game for me. There were so many plotlines that were left hanging in the last book that should have been answered in Gears 3, but weren't. They were even still raising questions MINUTES before the final battle. That's not right, not for a game that's supposed to be a conclusion.
Knowing that this is how Cliff Bleszinski wanted to run the series, I'm forced to wonder if his original version tried to force it's way back into the games and ended up making them lose focus.
Well alot is answered in the comics and hopefully the next and final book will square everything off, that's what's been promised.

Mar 30, 2010
According to Gears designer, Cliff Bleszinski, some of the game's more intellectual themes got lost during the design process.

So were these intellectual themes lost before or after they strapped a chainsaw onto a machine gun?

Thank you Grey, you've just brightened up my afternoon.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Loving all the people being sarcastic because its a violent game. Plenty of games can be violent but strive to also make the player think.

Hell, i'm pretty sure in dragon age I was covered in blood for 90% of the game.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Gears of War was as intellectual as Bulletstorm.

Except Bulletstorm was a parody.

...What does GoW make it, a self-parodying parody?

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Of course, according to Cliffy, giving Gears of War 3 an 8/10 is a sign of sheer burning hatred for it.

Cliff, you can't claim that Gears was the most awesomest game ever and then start talking about how you were disappointed with it. That's Peter Molyneux's thing.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Hey Cliffy, if you ever make another game in the series, totally make it be like that. Don't wish you could make your older games could be different. I would really like to see this happen if it doesn't get buried again.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Everyone has the power of hindsight, Cliff. It doesn't make your work any less retarded. I'm sure in hindsight Zack Snyder wanted Sucker Punch to more like Brazil and Clockwork Orange, too.

Maybe if you had this hindsight after the first Gears, you could've put those ideas to good use. But you didn't, did ya?

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I can kinda see where he's coming from. Throughout all 3 Gears games I felt that there was something else there other than shooty fun.

Actually I found that they're best played as co-op campaign since you get more of the "Band of Brothers" feel if you're actually playing with someone else. That helps you kina see what Cliff is getting at but it's still buried under a pile of macho bullet spraying washing machines.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Primary response: Well, DUH! (to title)

Secondary response: You mean the heart of it wasn't a gay space marine bromance with the substance of rice cakes?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
So basically not even Cliffy B likes the Gears characters. Wow I wish I still knew that fanboy from high school so I could slap him in the face with that little bit of info. Well whatever he likes Gears I don't.
Cliff never said he hate gears, he just said he would have preferred a different direction.

I like it the way it is personally.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well I would say to Cliffy, now you have everyone's attention, make something that might be less appeasing.

The Gears trilogy has ended now right? Time to move on, I liked
Gears, but after 3 games, you really have milked it in my opinion.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Oh well, better luck next time eh? I still thought Gears 2 and 3 were really great games. Also, don't you dare let Microsoft cash in on this franchise like they are with Halo. That would be really shallow.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
A little advice Bleszinski: If you want your game and it's characters to be taken seriously, then don't make the signature weapon a fucking chainsaw. And don't give the armor hubcaps for nipples.
Don't forget to not throw a tantrum when it dosen't get a perfect score.

Seriously, that turned me away from this, that and the firsts broken multiplayer.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Yes yes they all want to be the next Tim Schafer, but that doesn't mean they all got what it takes.
Hell Cliffy we haven't even seen you try, and don't tell me you havent noticed how brainded Gears is for 3 bloody games.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's the only game that does cover based shooting somewhat fun. It's become a bad stereotype because everyone else is making cover based shooters these days, and they're doing a terrible job at it.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I'm sorry if I'm a negative-nancy, but I'm afraid I find myself naturally falling into the "LOL WUT AHAHAHA" group.

And really, I never thought I'd ever see 'gears of war' and 'christopher nolan' in the same paragraph, let alone the same sentence

drivel

Aug 1, 2008
I'm playing through GeoW3 with a buddy right now, and I can't believe how bland it is. There's no real pacing, no real story. The only time you're not shooting things is when you're walking REAALLLLLY...... SLOWWWWWWLY through some uninteresting bit of scenery... and then you start shooting again. It's utterly predictable in every way. Even
the death of Dom
had little to no emotional impact.

Mass Effect 3 does it better than GeoW3 in most respects, including combat.