Blizzard Boss Defends Kotick

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Jumplion said:
ZeppMan217 said:
I just realized that Bobby Kotick is an evil twin of Gabe Newell.
Gabe Newell is "good"?

Then how do you explain his stealing my money [http://scarsofwargame.com/DevBlog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Gabe1.jpg] with all of their low, low prices and insane sales?

Damn you, Newell, and your dastardly sales. Damn you!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
MaxerJ said:
Look at those eyes.
Those souless eyes.
That's all the answer I need.
In before Halloween quote.

And erm well it's interesting to say the least of both sides to the story.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
All this coinciding with a new WoW Store Mount? I smell monies. And not the good kind.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Therumancer said:
Also my personal conspiricy theory in regards to this is that we're looking at this from the wrong angle. Blizzard is probably scared right now, and with good reason. Their success and relations with guys like Kotick are based on World Of Warcraft. Next month we get an annoucement on the release date of "Old Republic Online" which barring a miracle of explosively bad game design is going to seriously cut into WoW's profit margins.
Hmm.
I'm curious if a Star Wars MMO holds as much weight ever since SOE screwed the pooch with Star Wars Galaxies...
MMORPGs aim to monopolize your time; all progress you make with your character goes directly toward keeping *YOU* anchored to them. The higher the level/shinier the loot, the harder it is to give it all up. Simply put, uprooting a significant chunk of WoW's population will not be easy.
I predict that TOR will be a high-stakes ordeal; either they deeply cut into WoW's market (in the long run), or they totally flop. There will be no middle ground.
Given how stable WoW has become (technically, economically, even culturally), that's a very tall order even for a mega-project like TOR.

On the other hand...if TOR does accomplish the impossible, and uproots WoW (digs into its playerbase, and makes it stick, not necessarily overthrow WoW entirely) it could mean the end of what has been the single most consistent profit machine in the history of gaming.
...At least until this "Project Titan" launches.

Simply put I think this is some high level brown nosing, which is why they are doing it out of the blue. The big boys at Blizzard are getting out the knee pads and puckering up. If "Old Republic" fails that will be good, but the way this looks they doubtlessly want to err on the side of caution.
The timing does seem odd, though the context is hardly odd at all. Blizzard-Activision has the biggest balls in the gaming business right now short of the Big Three (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft). Even if there was dissension in the ranks, the shareholders would have none of that publicly while they're still doing so well.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"I don't see what everyone's going on about. If you stand upwind, you can barely smell the sulfur."

Ah, Kotick. Everyone's favorite li'l sequel-floggin', lawsuit-flingin', bonus-witholdin' tyrant.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
How come when an important but not founder of Nintendo says something, all of Nintendo apparently "said" it, but when its Bioware, its just the CEO and no all of Bioware?
Plus, some people are nice to some, then super pricks to others. Its called two-faced. I can believe Kotick to be that. And if he IS actually not so bad, then he is stupid and should not be allowed to say anything, cause its detrimental to his cause.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Telling us how great Kotick is will just make us hate him more. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShillingTheWesley]

Just so the guys in Activisions PR firm know it is probably a better idea to have him shut the fuck up and have everyone shut the fuck up about him so he can be forgotten.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Reed Spacer said:
I'd like to drive an axe into Kotick's head just to see what comes out.

I'm guessing spiders.

Delicious candy, I'm afraid, is unlikely.
Your comment made me laugh really hard, It made my night.lol.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Shall we get an interview with the Infinity Ward employees next?

I'm sorry, I mean Respawn employees.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well this is odd, it's almost as if this man is under Kotick's thumb now... oh wait

Their constant attempts at spicing up Activisions image with by buying peoples opinions just shows we were right all along, and probably don't even know the half of it.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
omicron1 said:
News update: Damned soul defends Hell. "It's really nice in the winter."

Kotick has no reason to treat Blizzard badly. They're a cash cow for him, and they have a rather high-profile "independence"-type deal. This is akin to the Walmart regional manager saying the retail clerks aren't mistreated.
none of Blizzard´s profits go to Activision, i just think blizzard is still together with activision to show us how awesome they are compared to activision.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
dunam said:
Saelune said:
How come when an important but not founder of Nintendo says something, all of Nintendo apparently "said" it, but when its Bioware, its just the CEO and no all of bioware
it has to do with being japanese, obedience and samurai spirit.
Well, I think it is the news doing it, not Nintendo, though I could just be reading too much into it, but I dont like when they make it seem the company is unanimous, when thats not always true.