Blizzard Cuts Off World of Warcraft in Iran

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Canadish said:
Nasrin said:
Man, that really sucks for the 5 guys in Iran that have both heard of WoW and can afford enough bandwidth to run it. FYI most people in Iran still use dial up, and that's the ones that are well off enough to even have a computer in the first place.
I think you've been watching too many American "news" programs my good sir.

They actually don't all live in huts in the desert, despite what they like to show you on the tv.
I'm a lady, and an Iranian citizen. Please don't try to tell me about my own culture.
 

llafnwod

New member
Nov 9, 2007
426
0
0
Nasrin said:
Canadish said:
Nasrin said:
Man, that really sucks for the 5 guys in Iran that have both heard of WoW and can afford enough bandwidth to run it. FYI most people in Iran still use dial up, and that's the ones that are well off enough to even have a computer in the first place.
I think you've been watching too many American "news" programs my good sir.

They actually don't all live in huts in the desert, despite what they like to show you on the tv.
I'm a lady, and an Iranian citizen. Please don't try to tell me about my own culture.
I like that you've spent over a year on a primarily American message board and think being a resident of a nation makes you an expert on its culture.
 

Veylon

New member
Aug 15, 2008
1,626
0
0
What the heck is this nonsense? The U.S. government ought to showing appreciation for Blizzard, not denying them business. We want Iranians exposed to the products of American culture, not cut off. I really hope Blizzard can get this appealed and resume connections, or at least get permission to refund their customers.
 

daibakuha

New member
Aug 27, 2012
272
0
0
GenGenners said:
I'm rather disturbed by how much control the state has over business in the US.
Luckily I live in the UK where no one gives a shit about what our government is currently doing. Watching the political news unravel in this country is like watching a hilarious train wreck get worse and worse as more trains slam into it because everyone is laughing too hard to close the line down.
It's not as much as you think, the US doesn't control who makes trade agreements with who, but it does dictate when you can't trade with someone. Trade embargoes are an important part of US foreign policy. I should also note that engaging in trade with a country we are currently at war with is an act of treason, though we aren't currently at war with Iran.

I don't see a problem with the US cutting trade in Iran, mostly because of their current world standing and their outright refusal to play ball. You don't want to talk to America? Well you don't get American trade now.
 

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
224
0
0
John the Gamer said:
Hmmm. US? USSR? I don't really see the difference anymore.
Well, for one, they have cooler accents. For another, way cooler uniforms. But we've got John Marston. So nyah.

To the article at hand, it is a somewhat misleading title. Blizzard didn't cut off players in Iran as much as Blizzard had to comply with U.S. law.

So does that mean players in Cuba are hosed too? C'est la guerre...
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
llafnwod said:
Nasrin said:
Canadish said:
Nasrin said:
Man, that really sucks for the 5 guys in Iran that have both heard of WoW and can afford enough bandwidth to run it. FYI most people in Iran still use dial up, and that's the ones that are well off enough to even have a computer in the first place.
I think you've been watching too many American "news" programs my good sir.

They actually don't all live in huts in the desert, despite what they like to show you on the tv.
I'm a lady, and an Iranian citizen. Please don't try to tell me about my own culture.
I like that you've spent over a year on a primarily American message board and think being a resident of a nation makes you an expert on its culture.
I've spent much more than a year on message boards, and no I don't think residency necessarily makes me an expert.

I think my years of academic study and the time I've spent there make me qualified to state whether or not it is common to have high speed internet in the region.
 

daibakuha

New member
Aug 27, 2012
272
0
0
Jhooud said:
John the Gamer said:
Hmmm. US? USSR? I don't really see the difference anymore.
Well, for one, they have cooler accents. For another, way cooler uniforms. But we've got John Marston. So nyah.

To the article at hand, it is a somewhat misleading title. Blizzard didn't cut off players in Iran as much as Blizzard had to comply with U.S. law.

So does that mean players in Cuba are hosed too? C'est la guerre...
Actually I do believe the trade embargo with cuba is over.
 

Rainboq

New member
Nov 19, 2009
16,620
0
0
dagens24 said:
Blizz Boss: Well, I guess it's time we followed the law and stopped providing sevice to Iran.
Blizz Employee: Sir, should we refund them first and THEN stop providing the service?
Blizz Boss: Hmmmm, I'd rather not...

Seriously, if you're being lax on the law already, might as well refund them before you tighten your belt. Shitty man, real fucking shitty.
Its highly likely that either a higher up or a policy mook at Acta-bliz only recently saw that they were violating trade sanctions, crapped their pants and pulled the plug as fast as they could. Plus giving refunds would also be a violation of trade laws, which might have been called out. What Blizzard SHOULD have done, aside from pulling the plug would be to have a little pop-up saying to users with Iranian IP addresses why their service was cut off.
AngryMongoose said:
But, you see people, America says it's wrong, and America IS international law. Those fucking punks who claim to be 'players' should have thought about it before they committed the crime of being born fucking Iranian. Godless bastards should have been born American like REAL people.
Considering their corporate offices and central servers are in the US, they have to comply.
 

Rainboq

New member
Nov 19, 2009
16,620
0
0
daibakuha said:
Jhooud said:
John the Gamer said:
Hmmm. US? USSR? I don't really see the difference anymore.
Well, for one, they have cooler accents. For another, way cooler uniforms. But we've got John Marston. So nyah.

To the article at hand, it is a somewhat misleading title. Blizzard didn't cut off players in Iran as much as Blizzard had to comply with U.S. law.

So does that mean players in Cuba are hosed too? C'est la guerre...
Actually I do believe the trade embargo with cuba is over.
Less over, more slowly being relaxed.
 

llafnwod

New member
Nov 9, 2007
426
0
0
Nasrin said:
llafnwod said:
Nasrin said:
Canadish said:
Nasrin said:
Man, that really sucks for the 5 guys in Iran that have both heard of WoW and can afford enough bandwidth to run it. FYI most people in Iran still use dial up, and that's the ones that are well off enough to even have a computer in the first place.
I think you've been watching too many American "news" programs my good sir.

They actually don't all live in huts in the desert, despite what they like to show you on the tv.
I'm a lady, and an Iranian citizen. Please don't try to tell me about my own culture.
I like that you've spent over a year on a primarily American message board and think being a resident of a nation makes you an expert on its culture.
I've spent much more than a year on message boards, and no I don't think residency necessarily makes me an expert.

I think my years of academic study and the time I've spent there make me qualified to state whether or not it is common to have high speed internet in the region.
a) I said this message board,
b) I was referring to the portion in which you claimed 5 people in an entire country had heard of a popular American video game, and
c) I tend to antagonize anyone who makes blanket statements about entire populations, regardless of their nation of residence.
Bonus: WoW is playable, if problematic in areas, on a dial-up connection.
 

SacremPyrobolum

New member
Dec 11, 2010
1,213
0
0
I would have thought it was already banned in Iran.

Anyway, I cannot in any way fathom how World of Warcraft subscriptions would effect the Iranian economy in any positive way.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
llafnwod said:
Nasrin said:
llafnwod said:
Nasrin said:
Canadish said:
Nasrin said:
Man, that really sucks for the 5 guys in Iran that have both heard of WoW and can afford enough bandwidth to run it. FYI most people in Iran still use dial up, and that's the ones that are well off enough to even have a computer in the first place.
I think you've been watching too many American "news" programs my good sir.

They actually don't all live in huts in the desert, despite what they like to show you on the tv.
I'm a lady, and an Iranian citizen. Please don't try to tell me about my own culture.
I like that you've spent over a year on a primarily American message board and think being a resident of a nation makes you an expert on its culture.
I've spent much more than a year on message boards, and no I don't think residency necessarily makes me an expert.

I think my years of academic study and the time I've spent there make me qualified to state whether or not it is common to have high speed internet in the region.
a) I said this message board,
b) I was referring to the portion in which you claimed 5 people in an entire country had heard of a popular American video game, and
c) I tend to antagonize anyone who makes blanket statements about entire populations, regardless of their nation of residence.
Bonus: WoW is playable, if problematic in areas, on a dial-up connection.
It was clear from the context of my post that I didn't mean there were literally 5 people. I was employing hyperbole.

I'm not generalizing by saying high speed internet is very difficult to access in the area, it's just a fact.

Our definitions of "playable" are likely very different.

It's not wise to arbitrarily antagonize the Community Manager.
 

antipunt

New member
Jan 3, 2009
3,035
0
0
ITT person taking themself too seriously.

in other news: this just in. Iran in flames/mobs everywhar!
 

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
3,508
0
0
Andy Chalk said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Nice misleading title you got there.
What's misleading?
The title is misleading.
Nasrin said:
llafnwod said:
Nasrin said:
llafnwod said:
Nasrin said:
Canadish said:
Nasrin said:
Man, that really sucks for the 5 guys in Iran that have both heard of WoW and can afford enough bandwidth to run it. FYI most people in Iran still use dial up, and that's the ones that are well off enough to even have a computer in the first place.
I think you've been watching too many American "news" programs my good sir.

They actually don't all live in huts in the desert, despite what they like to show you on the tv.
I'm a lady, and an Iranian citizen. Please don't try to tell me about my own culture.
I like that you've spent over a year on a primarily American message board and think being a resident of a nation makes you an expert on its culture.
I've spent much more than a year on message boards, and no I don't think residency necessarily makes me an expert.

I think my years of academic study and the time I've spent there make me qualified to state whether or not it is common to have high speed internet in the region.
a) I said this message board,
b) I was referring to the portion in which you claimed 5 people in an entire country had heard of a popular American video game, and
c) I tend to antagonize anyone who makes blanket statements about entire populations, regardless of their nation of residence.
Bonus: WoW is playable, if problematic in areas, on a dial-up connection.
It was clear from the context of my post that I didn't mean there were literally 5 people. I was employing hyperbole.

I'm not generalizing by saying high speed internet is very difficult to access in the area, it's just a fact.

Our definitions of "playable" are likely very different.

It's not wise to arbitrarily antagonize the Community Manager.
I'd suggest it wasn't arbitrary at all.
 

llafnwod

New member
Nov 9, 2007
426
0
0
Nasrin said:
llafnwod said:
Nasrin said:
llafnwod said:
Nasrin said:
Canadish said:
Nasrin said:
Man, that really sucks for the 5 guys in Iran that have both heard of WoW and can afford enough bandwidth to run it. FYI most people in Iran still use dial up, and that's the ones that are well off enough to even have a computer in the first place.
I think you've been watching too many American "news" programs my good sir.

They actually don't all live in huts in the desert, despite what they like to show you on the tv.
I'm a lady, and an Iranian citizen. Please don't try to tell me about my own culture.
I like that you've spent over a year on a primarily American message board and think being a resident of a nation makes you an expert on its culture.
I've spent much more than a year on message boards, and no I don't think residency necessarily makes me an expert.

I think my years of academic study and the time I've spent there make me qualified to state whether or not it is common to have high speed internet in the region.
a) I said this message board,
b) I was referring to the portion in which you claimed 5 people in an entire country had heard of a popular American video game, and
c) I tend to antagonize anyone who makes blanket statements about entire populations, regardless of their nation of residence.
Bonus: WoW is playable, if problematic in areas, on a dial-up connection.
It was clear from the context of my post that I didn't mean there were literally 5 people. I was employing hyperbole.

I'm not generalizing by saying high speed internet is very difficult to access in the area, it's just a fact.

Our definitions of "playable" are likely very different.

It's not wise to arbitrarily antagonize the Community Manager.
I made it pretty explicit that my antagonism was not arbitrary. I am aware that you were employing hyperbole. I am confused as to why someone who has, as you have said, spent time in and years of academic study on a country, and therefore likely has a modicum of respect for its people, would add to the stream of voices dismissing it as backwards without context or qualification.

We've had two wars with adjacent countries in that region that went through basically because people don't give a shit about foreigners. Dismissal breeds disinterest, disinterest contempt, and contempt means no-one speaks up when congress decides its campaign contributions from TRW need ramping up and goes to war again. Which means my government spends money it doesn't have (read: a great deal more of my money, in the future) to kill people I don't want dead.

I am aware that you, personally, may have meant it only in jest. I am also aware that your comments won't start a war and mine won't prevent one. I'm just saying have a fucking care what you say, because I know you don't want to be a part of the problem.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Andy Chalk said:
SextusMaximus said:
The title is misleading.
Sorry I wasn't clear. How is it misleading?
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just people being obnoxious. The title says Blizzard cut Iran off from World of Warcraft, which is what happened. People are just being pissy that they did it under pressure from trade sanctions. They'd probably prefer you to be more politically radical and blame the American Government for the trade sanctions.
 

Rainforce

New member
Apr 20, 2009
693
0
0
AngryMongoose said:
But, you see people, America says it's wrong, and America IS international law. Those fucking punks who claim to be 'players' should have thought about it before they committed the crime of being born fucking Iranian. Godless bastards should have been born American like REAL people.
I agree to the point you're making. Also it is pretty absurd to have a law that doesn't allow trade with certain specified countries.
And they can't even get refunds because of that, too. how absurd.
But hey, that's the war-hungry (and always ridiculous) US politics, I guess.

captcha: "rack and ruin"
quite.